Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    My vet would not do the home visit (fired their ass), so I googled a vet service that would come out and do it. It turned out they sent me my long lost vet, that I loved, to do it. I have to drive way further to see him, but he is a great vet, so I do it for my buddies health now and a good ending once it is time.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Had a similar situation with an old dog. One day we came home and he walked up to us, gave us some love, and then walked to his favorite spot and went to sleep and never woke up. Still miss him.

It hurt. But it kind of made things easier in the end.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

You’re very lucky. I wish it could’ve gone that way for me and Freddog. That drive to the vet was one of the shittiest 45 minutes of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    My vet would not do the home visit (fired their ass), so I googled a vet service that would come out and do it. It turned out they sent me my long lost vet, that I loved, to do it. I have to drive way further to see him, but he is a great vet, so I do it for my buddies health now and a good ending once it is time.
    We said goodby at home, it was painful, but it felt loving and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    Had a similar situation with an old dog. One day we came home and he walked up to us, gave us some love, and then walked to his favorite spot and went to sleep and never woke up. Still miss him.

Uhhh.. thats not really a similar situation at all man. except that the dog dies in the end

Thats the absolute best case scenario, what everybody is HOPING happens to their old dog. I wish that had happened to with us.
    What everybody is talking about here, is the hugely difficult and depressing decision and action of putting a dog to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post

Weird but kind of awesome. He knew it, said goodbye on his own. Getting dusty in here.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Uhhh.. thats not really a similar situation at all man. except that the dog dies in the end

Thats the absolute best case scenario, what everybody is HOPING happens to their old dog. I wish that had happened to with us.
    What everybody is talking about here, is the hugely difficult and depressing decision and action of putting a dog to sleep
    Well, the dog was reaching his end of life and I was going through the same thing the OP was. Everyday I wondered if it was his time.

Wow made it another 18 or so months...here at the proverbial farm. Mom just called yesterday and was like yup, it’s time. Sitting in the parking lot waiting for the vet to do the deed.
    Decisions Decisions

Sorry man. 18 more months, though, that's pretty good. Hang in there.

It's sad, but think about the next buddy!
    "Can't you see..."

Vibes man.

That's a tough one.
    Had to do it once and I cried.

sad to hear that it's finally time, but 18mos is not bad - i hope it was filled with happy experiences for the pup & your mom

we're in this "18mo" phase now w/ Echo
    we got told July of last year that his days were numbered
    he has started disregarding his food bowl a bit over the last month, so we know that's a step in the process
    he has been my "minder" forever, but he falls asleep now & I can walk away without his noticing sometimes
    i have to wash his rear end fairly regularly (he's a fur ball still)
    but he's happy for now, if a lot slower

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Wow made it another 18 or so months...here at the proverbial farm. Mom just called yesterday and was like yup, it’s time. Sitting in the parking lot waiting for the vet to do the deed.
    Uuuugh...I hope your mom was in there holding him until the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Uuuugh...I hope your mom was in there holding him until the end.
    He was laying in the back of the car when they came out, gave him the sedative, she hugged him and scratched his ears until he passed out. They came out, put him on a stretcher and brought him inside to administer the euthanasia. She lost it a little at that point. We couldn’t go in (covid...or they just don’t allow it in general) but they gave us an iPad to watch the last moments inside. I drove us to a late lunch, hung with her for a bit and she was fine. Though she’s texting me now saying she hears his collar jingling and hopefully the house isn’t haunted. So that should be interesting.
    Decisions Decisions

The absolute worse part of the loving bonds we share with our with animals. Sincere Vibes to both you and your Mom.

I've not read the thread.

I've got an exceptional and very high (and rough route) miles dog. The once-in-a-lifetime dog.

He lost a bunch of mobility recently and I thought that the end was coming very soon for him.

I got the boat ready for a final river trip, one guy and his dog, sundeck ready for dog-napping and sun-soaking. One last trip, just the two of us, before parting ways to meet again after our visits on Earth.

He got better, was able to re-open the hind feet, after a vet visit and I suppose I'll now be doing all of the panic-purchased supplements that I snagged beforehand.

Either way: at-home euthanasia, after a final bros-only trip, is my plan for when my little dude has to leave me. Either way, we're getting on a bros-only trip tomorrow, sundeck for the little old man, and the whole 9 of doggie comforts, his own sleep-bag, etc, etc.

Life is short. Hug 'em while you got 'em.

Vibes, OP. Loss of life tends to affect the living more than the departed, it seems.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    had one die in the front yard trying to git to the vet for the raibnbow bridge shot
    kessler sent the rainbow bridge line from home with help from the vet and a can of whip cream
    got a call yesterday my steamboat driftboat bro lost his lab through the ice on the elk
    they tried and retrived him but it was too long under the water
    ive always felt that it was my job to chaperone the hardest trip
    and the pain is payment for the unconditional love bond and the time spent on it
    give them maggods rub for me
    its all to short
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

We couldn’t go in (covid...or they just don’t allow it in general) but they gave us an iPad to watch the last moments inside.
    WTF? I mean sorry for your mom's loss, but they seriously didn't let you all in and made you watch the dog die from a friggin iPad? I've never even heard of that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by MontuckyFried; 03-19-2021 at 07:24 AM.

They're not letting anyone in vet clinics at all in Mass. (not sure about other states but it's the same deal in Maryland), so while the ipad is pretty wack it's at least a way to see with your own eyes that the dog didn't suffer. I mean I get it, but yeah that's not optimal. At all.

I let my wife talk me into putting my yellow lab down way to early. I dont miss the bitch (wife) at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    They're not letting anyone in vet clinics at all in Mass. (not sure about other states but it's the same deal in Maryland), so while the ipad is pretty wack it's at least a way to see with your own eyes that the dog didn't suffer. I mean I get it, but yeah that's not optimal. At all.
    Yeah. If a vet told me that, I'd tell them to go F themselves and let me in. I am not going to virtually watch my dog die. That is insanity. What has our society come to that we put up with stuff like this?! They better be offering house calls if they won't let anyone in the office.

There wasn’t much to the last moments. The big thing was being with him while the sedative took effect and he drifted off to sleep.

The iPad was funny because the camera was right in his face and he was snoring like a motherfucker. Until it stopped.
    Decisions Decisions

++++Vibes++++

He was laying in the back of the car when they came out, gave him the sedative, she hugged him and scratched his ears until he passed out. They came out, put him on a stretcher and brought him inside to administer the euthanasia. She lost it a little at that point. We couldn’t go in (covid...or they just don’t allow it in general) but they gave us an iPad to watch the last moments inside. I drove us to a late lunch, hung with her for a bit and she was fine. Though she’s texting me now saying she hears his collar jingling and hopefully the house isn’t haunted. So that should be interesting.
    Sorry to hear man, I got something in my eye reading this, it keeps leaking.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    WTF? I mean sorry for your mom's loss, but they seriously didn't let you all in and made you watch the dog die from a friggin iPad? I've never even heard of that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    That’s what they are doing with humans too, someone wanna get this guy up to date?

Side note - we did the come to our place thing w my husky so it went down in her environment (our backyard) in Nov.