Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I’m actually better parallel parking it than 90 degree parking it with the backup camera.
    Ditto. I do wish my version had a parking sensor for the front though. The snub nose makes it tricky to figure out how much space I actually have.

My only real beef with the 4runner - How is it possible that, in 2019, Toyota released the 4runner and Tacoma with virtually the same MPG rating as my 2004 Blazer? That still blows my fucking mind. GM needs to get their heads out of their ass and bring back a model to compete with the 4runner. I think they could do it better.. it won't happen, but I think they can do it better. Fuck, I think Toyota could have done better.

Anyway, the 4runner is really the only option for a true SUV in today's market. So do you want a truck or an SUV?

I'll also add that my buds 2018 Tacoma was all over the place searching for gears from SLC to PC. My other bud on the EC has a 2016? Colorado, and that truck also searches for gears. My blazer is in and out of overdrive on mountain passes. Just have to accept it if you're getting something with a V6 auto.

Car Advice (Outback vs Tacoma vs Ridgeline vs ???)

In terms of size, I believe the 4Runner/gx has a shorter wheelbase than a Tacoma. the tlc/lx is also shorter than Tacoma.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 04-28-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Solid vote for a 3.6R Outback. 27ish MPG highway, smooth, relatively quiet, and they're deeply discounted now with the 2020 showing up this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180928_183714.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	280576

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181201_124751.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	280578

Thanks for all the responses.

Fiancee and I had our afternoon free up yesterday and we were near a strip of dealerships so I sucked it up and went and drove all three candidates. I also wanted to test drive a 4runner when we were at the Toyota dealership but we ran out of town.

After driving all 3, I'm still undecided and honestly might go back and drive all 3 again.

Drove the Ridgeline first. For a truck, it definitely had one of the smoothest rides I've experienced in a truck/SUV. All of the cool little practical features are indeed as advertised, and one I wasn't aware of was the drain plug in the in-bed "trunk" which allows you to use it as a cooler. Not a huge feature but cool none the less. One downside my fiancee noted - the rear seat sits a bit higher than the front seats which made for a bit of weird riding experience for those sitting in the back seat. Not a bad one, but something I wouldn't have noticed without checking it out in person. The shallower bed was also noticeable compared to the Tacoma.

Next was the Tacoma. I was able to drive the exact trim/configuration I've been looking at (TRD Off Road 4x4 Double Cab / Long Bed), and it drove pretty much as I expected. It is very much a truck through and through, and also very much a Toyota. Definitely a bumpier ride compared to the Ridgeline, but the steering felt a little more active and it definitely had a bit more pep. Fiancee liked the backseat better on this one, but the driver/passenger cockpit area felt a little tighter to me than the Ridgeline. I also felt like the view over the road from the drivers seat was a bit more tunnel like, where the Ridgeline felt a little more open. One potential factor that could come into play - the local Toyota dealership had just about every trim level of Tacoma available on their lot in multiple colors, where the Ridgeline I drove was one of only 3 units that was on the lot at the Honda dealership.

Last was the Outback. I actually drove a rental Outback on a trip a little over a year so I'm somewhat familiar with this car. The driving experience was both the most comfortable and arguably the most fun of the 3. The 3.6 engine was surprisingly peppy, especially on the low end. I've driven multiple Subarus with the 2.5 engine and they all felt gutless to me - that was NOT the case with this car. Beyond that, it was pretty much as I expected - easy driving, smooth ride, and it does have a good amount of cargo space with the back seat folded down. Unrelated, the sales guy we interacted with at the Subie dealership was easily the WORST of all the stops - way over-pressuring, not picking up on obvious clues I was lobbing at him about us not wanting to buy something that day, etc etc etc. I know what I'm getting into walking on to a dealership lot, but this guy was atrocious.

I'm still pretty undecided, but if you held a gun to my head today I'd probably lean towards either the Ridgeline or Tacoma. Ultimately while the outback does have a bunch of space with the seat folded down, we are definitely looking at kids down the road, and losing the back seat to be able to haul gear could be a deal breaker once we have to put little ones in the back. Ironically, Fiancee liked the outback the best of the three, but she likes all the bells and whistles while I somewhat defer to practicality. From a cost standpoint though, the Outback pretty much has the best feature set for the buck, but the utility factor is a strong pull for me.
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

Sounds like your back to where you began.

Fiancée already made the call. Get the outback

Outback and a utility trailer. Shit, I have a hitch on my BMW. Why not have a nicer driving experience for the 99% of the time you will actually be using the thing?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

A big roof box should be able to fit most of your gear, and even though it kinda kills mileage, you can take it off in the summer, where a truck has bad mileage year round. A utility trailer for hauling crap is also not a bad idea.

Also: happy wife=happy life.

The Outback has the suck roof rack with shit options for aftermarket. I'm 6' and cannot stand the interior driving it. My wife loves it...that's why it's her car.

The Ridgeline is kinda weird looking, but it seems incredibly functional to me. It was based on the Pilot (or at least it was) and that was my most reliable car I've ever owned. I'm considering a Ridgeline for my next car as well.

If I actually needed a pickemup I'd get a Ridgeline, absolutely. But I haven't worked in landscaping for 30 something years. https://carbuzz.com/news/the-honda-r...hevy-right-now
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Are you guys a 1 car/truck family? If so, and if you're having kids - go big with this vehicle. Chariots, gear, strollers, etc. means size is crucial and you should pay for it with bad MPG. Get a Prius later in life when you aren't hauling kids everywhere.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 04-29-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Fiancée already made the call. Get the outback
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Outback and a utility trailer. Shit, I have a hitch on my BMW. Why not have a nicer driving experience for the 99% of the time you will actually be using the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    A big roof box should be able to fit most of your gear, and even though it kinda kills mileage, you can take it off in the summer, where a truck has bad mileage year round. A utility trailer for hauling crap is also not a bad idea.

Also: happy wife=happy life.
    Outback is still in the running, and I have pondered the roof box option. I've also already got roof carriers for skis and bikes already on my WRX, so those could transfer right over.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Are you guys a 1 car/truck family? If so, and if you're having kids - go big with this vehicle. Chariots, gear, strollers, etc. means size is crucial and you should pay for it with bad MPG. Get a Prius later in life when you aren't hauling kids everywhere.
    This would be one of two cars in our house. Right now my fiancee drives a Mazda 3 that she's had for close to 7 years now, but she's going to be looking at a crossover or small SUV for her next ride. Between the two of us, my vehicle would most likely be the hauler for long trips/recreation, and hers would be her daily driver. We want to be able to put car seats in either vehicle though, thus me looking at double cab pickups. Ironically, she now says if I don't decide to get the outback she's putting it on her list of future potential vehicles...
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

I think the 3.6R Outback + Tundra (or Tacoma if you really want something smaller) would be a great combo -- it's actually what my wife and I have discussed

Outback is great but it will never be a pickup. And I'd still choose to drive the Outback on road trips that don't involve sleeping in the back.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Gotcha. FWIW my Tacoma double cab is fine with toddlers in forward facing car seats, but I couldn’t comfortably fit an infant car seat in there. Especially behind me. But I’m 6’3” so I’m pushing the limit on fitting in a Taco as it is. But if you get one and you have a more family friendly wagon/SUV to handle most of the infant travel you’ll be fine.

Have friend with 3 kids and double cab Tacoma. Oldest kid is now 12 and youngest is 5. All 5 have been able to fit even during more car seats/infant seats. Small family though. They also have an awd sienna.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    They also have an awd sienna.
    Which is more practical than anything in this thread.

Oh for sure. We have an AWD Sienna too. It’s our primary kid hauler. Personally there’s no way I’d want my Tacoma for that role.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 04-29-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Sienna + taco would be a great combo if your daily commutes are short(ish).

Highlander

A Highlander could be a good compromise here. More space than Outback, Toyota reliability, less Thirsty than 4Runner, plenty of mod cons for Fiancee etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Have friend with 3 kids and double cab Tacoma. Oldest kid is now 12 and youngest is 5. All 5 have been able to fit even during more car seats/infant seats. Small family though. They also have an awd sienna.
    I mean for trips to the store I could see it. Otherwise no way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I didn't read through the whole thread, but we have a suby (not the 3.6 full disclosure) and a toyota car, both with around 50k miles. The subaru, hands down, is the shittier car by a long shot. We've had random little issues (nothing terrible..but issues) since we drove it new off the lot. Leaky tranny pump had to be replaced, sticky calipers...shit like that. An, not speaking for all suby dealers but our's is a major pain in the dick to work with.

In short, I probably won't buy another Subaru and probably will buy another Toyota. Yes, subys are practical as hell and have probably the best AWD system I've ever driven, but to me, I think they're a little shitty when compared to other brands.

^^^This. I’m always baffled by the Subaru love, their marketing department has done a hell of a job over the past couple of decades.

Comparing 2 cars to a truck? Does not compute.

I always chuckle at guys that spend $5k on a TRD sticker. You really going to slam a $35k taco so hard you need a locker? Get a wench, because you are really going to be stuck when you get stuck. Just replace the shitty factory shocks & tires at 40k miles. The traction control on these is very impressive, that and a little skill will get a taco more places than needed.

I'm 6'2", have two car seats in the back of my double cab 2016 taco...one forward facing behind me(3 yo), rear facing behind wife(1 yo). If you end up with 2 rear facing at the same time, oops Irish twins! If I don't drive like an asshole, get 19-21 mpg in town and 21-25 highway going 80. Can't complain about that considering 4x4, size, weight and hp.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I always chuckle at guys that spend $5k on a TRD sticker. You really going to slam a $35k taco so hard you need a locker? Get a wench, because you are really going to be stuck when you get stuck. Just replace the shitty factory shocks & tires at 40k miles. The traction control on these is very impressive, that and a little skill will get a taco more places than needed.
    The differential locker can be very useful for anyone that spends a lot of time on backcountry mountain roads (or sandy beaches). I have used mine on the F150 several times and would have been shoveling without it. You can kid yourself all you want, but a traction control 4wd w/o a locker is a two wheel drive. At least I can put 2 in motion no matter what on the rear, it can definitely make a dicey situation doable. I think a lot of truck owners don't use them as trucks though and don't travel the type of roads some of us do.