Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Nice big group last night so we really got the trails packed down nicely. Conditions have been tough since the 6-7" of snow 9n Monday. Great shape now. Single track fat riding is so ass kicking!

Just signed up for a weekend of pain - Waterbury Gravel Grinder on 5/4 then Cranko de Mayo on 5/5 - 80 miles about whole lotta vert in 2 days.

Gravel season is coming!

https://www.bikereg.com/40136

https://www.bikereg.com/cranko-de-mayo#Location

Is the progression this -

motocross
    mtn bike
    cyclo-cross
    gravel
    road
    Death?

I'm not dead yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Is the progression this -

motocross
    mtn bike
    cyclo-cross
    gravel
    road
    Death?

I'm not dead yet.
    Nah. Gravel riding just holds me over until the trails dry out but I've grown to like it.

I'm a mountain biker through and through until I'm too old to pedal, then I'll be an e-mountain biker.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Nah. Gravel riding just holds me over until the trails dry out but I've grown to like it.

I'm a mountain biker through and through until I'm too old to pedal, then I'll be an e-mountain biker.
    Yup. We get back to dry dirt pretty quick over here. I can see needing something to span the seasons

Hey guys- found this bike for $700 new at my local shop. Rocky Mountain Blizzard -10. Thinking about buying it so I can ride in the winter and on the beaches in my neighborhood. I think it will sell fast. Feels like a good deal, but I’m a total rube with bikes. TIAClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	273885

^^^I Googled the specs and they aren't too bad considering you're just looking to use to ride snow and sand and its only $700. The Shimano drivetrain is "low-end" but functional - upgrading drivetrain bits is easy and relatively inexpensive if you ever want to upgrade. Same with the brakes - I've never ridden Tektro brakes but they are on a lot of lower end non-department store bikes. But, again, brakes are an easy and cheap upgrade.

The frame and fork are solid and prob light, Maxxis tires are great the price point. Also the wide bars are modern geometry are a huge plus. I'd say go for it.

19 NE - It's all up from here

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    ^^^I Googled the specs and they aren't too bad considering you're just looking to use to ride snow and sand and its only $700. The Shimano drivetrain is "low-end" but functional - upgrading drivetrain bits is easy and relatively inexpensive if you ever want to upgrade. Same with the brakes - I've never ridden Tektro brakes but they are on a lot of lower end non-department store bikes. But, again, brakes are an easy and cheap upgrade.

The frame and fork are solid and prob light, Maxxis tires are great the price point. Also the wide bars are modern geometry are a huge plus. I'd say go for it.
    Thank you! I figure I’ll get a dedicated set of snow tires next winter, but for now, this gets me riding more and that’s what my gut needs.

You wont regret it and will soon figure out fattys are hoot to ride all year. You will break the lower end components. Will give you the option to figure out what you like and upgrade.

Yeah there is a bit of a weight penalty but thats offset by the ability to climb, get over shit and keep momentum.

I’ve got a trail bike I love but still reach for the fatty half the time.

Disclosure, I’m a fairly mediocre rider but do ride a bunch. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1552605909.765114.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	274038

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Thanks guys, I appreciate ya assisting putting me over the edge.

Although not shown in this pic, most of our beaches have big piles of rocks— pebbles to softball, occasionally football sized rocks that have been deposited into wave-like piles. The thing just demolishes them, but it’s techy enough that it’s a lot of fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	274042

That escalated quickly. Nice work.

That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate ya assisting putting me over the edge.

Although not shown in this pic, most of our beaches have big piles of rocks— pebbles to softball, occasionally football sized rocks that have been deposited into wave-like piles. The thing just demolishes them, but it’s techy enough that it’s a lot of fun.

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	274042
    What psi are you running? Get a digital gauge if you don’t already have one. It’s key to know where the sweet spot is. I run between 4-6 for snow, 8-8.5 for dirt. I run tubes on my fattie.
    I’m 150lbs.
    crab in my shoe mouth

First time on a fattie. Around 7 in the rear and around 6 in the front. Pressure felt good for getting over stuff. It felt like it self steered quite a bit on the firmer surfaces. I did not ride very fast. Tires are 4.8. I’m 190lbs.

Running tubes with sealant inside. curious why you run tubes?

First ride of the season in the books.

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	275226

That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    First ride of the season in the books.

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	275226

What kinda seat bag is that? Trying to find something that works with a dropper post.

Cant remember the brand but its pretty generic. I always back up the cheap under seat straps w a long and strong ski strap that supports from underneath. That one is from a pair of ramps. On the seatpost side i thread a strong ziptie through the bag itself via tiny slits then secure loosely around the post so it has some movement. Have never lost a bag thats setup like this

That Don't Make No Sense

Since we're talking fat bikes, here's a new fest being held at Magic this year. I've got no affiliation, but it should be interesting. If nothing else, it's got a great headline sponsor!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Since we're talking fat bikes, here's a new fest being held at Magic this year. I've got no affiliation, but it should be interesting. If nothing else, it's got a great headline sponsor!
    Sounds fun and I'd could be talked into going and I do appreciate the 4/20 date BUT that date is prime mud season, will there even be snow to ride on? Or is it on the mountain where there will likely be some snow left?

I f'd up last night riding with studs on the rear. Spun out on a knifey granite up and went down. Left a nice claw print on the rock. It hurts to type this...my wrist is a bit sore from breaking the fall. Joy

Wrist injuries suck, hand injuries aren't much better. Boy we really need the trees to leaf out and suck some of the ground water up around here. It's so soggy... I'm feeling much more normal now so as soon as it dries out a bit it's time to get back on the bike and get back to some semblance of my old self. This forced minimal activity thing has been driving me nuts.

I believe this is a good deal if anyone is looking for some MTB shoes (flats). Be sure to enter an email address for an extra $20 off. Paid $63.50 total, shipped to NH.

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...&cgid=#start=1

Oh...and heal up jackstraw. Careful out there.

Hey y'all need to get out and ride for me today. Take pics and make me jealous I need to be in the driveway replacing the rear hubs on my car so it can be driven again, I have to be in a bunch of far away places this week for work and can't squander a warm dry day.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...s-to-relocate/

Interesting read. I was just talking to a neighbor about how some towns around here are missing the boat on not expanding and getting the word out about how great outdoor recreation is around here. Its a main reason I came here and others could follow.

Haven't had the offseason training I planned on, but the Allston pump track has definitely kept things fun and challenging.

If you're in the area, its 100% worth checking out. I am afraid to ride a dirt track after the grip you experience on this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Haven't had the offseason training I planned on, but the Allston pump track has definitely kept things fun and challenging.

If you're in the area, its 100% worth checking out. I am afraid to ride a dirt track after the grip you experience on this thing!
    Nice. That thing is rad. Bunch of rippers over there on Sunday morning, was that you? If you see a street hockey game, come ask for change