Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    That only happened once. The ski didnt work for terrain I ski. If only I lived in AK
    You do realize everyone calls KT-22 one of the best lifts in the lower 48 to prepare yourself for AK / big mountain skiing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If Moment had a full custom program a la Wagner it would be hard to resist. I get along with Deathwish so well when there a few inches of fresh or soft snow all over -- I'd love something just a little quicker in bumps and on groomers. I'm hoping the Piste Jib from Praxis will fill this role.

Oh, and the ski's name? La Petite Mort . Literally the little death. Or as Wikipedia puts it: "the sensation of orgasm as likened to death."
    We can do almost anything. People just usually get scared of the costs...but making one off skis is very expensive.

We do a lot of simple semi-custom stuff all the time:

You want a graphic swap? Easy

Ski X with Ski Y camber? Easy

Ski X with a Tour layup? Easy

Ski X with a charger layup? Easy.

Ski X with a Tour Tail? Easy.

When people want to start designing their own rocker/camber lines and sidecut then the cost goes through the roof fast. It costs a ton of money to build ski mold, then there is assembly and CAD time. As well as the back and forth with the customer to ensure its what they want.

At the end of the day 100% custom skis are cool, I get it, you get to design what you think is the best ski ever for you. I personally dont buy it. We have been making skis for a long time, and we rarely hit the nail on the head the first time. We make prototypes, revise flex patterns, materials, sidecuts, etc and get tons of skier feedback and start the entire testing process over again until we are happy enough to release the product into the wild. That being said, I think the boys at Folsom have the best custom program going since its semi-custom. Mike and his guys make sure the base model works before the customer gets to tweak it.

Also, if you want a narrow Deathwish, we can do that. Its just going to be in the price range of a Folsom or Wagner, because that's how much it truly costs to make the one ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    We can do almost anything. People just usually get scared of the costs...but making one off skis is very expensive.

We do a lot of simple semi-custom stuff all the time:

You want a graphic swap? Easy

Ski X with Ski Y camber? Easy

Ski X with a Tour layup? Easy

Ski X with a charger layup? Easy.

Ski X with a Tour Tail? Easy.

When people want to start designing their own rocker/camber lines and sidecut then the cost goes through the roof fast. It costs a ton of money to build ski mold, then there is assembly and CAD time. As well as the back and forth with the customer to ensure its what they want.

At the end of the day 100% custom skis are cool, I get it, you get to design what you think is the best ski ever for you. I personally dont buy it. We have been making skis for a long time, and we rarely hit the nail on the head the first time. We make prototypes, revise flex patterns, materials, sidecuts, etc and get tons of skier feedback and start the entire testing process over again until we are happy enough to release the product into the wild. That being said, I think the boys at Folsom have the best custom program going since its semi-custom. Mike and his guys make sure the base model works before the customer gets to tweak it.

Also, if you want a narrow Deathwish, we can do that. Its just going to be in the price range of a Folsom or Wagner, because that's how much it truly costs to make the one ski.
    Awesome info -- thanks. And I have no doubts that there is a reason you all make the skis you do -- hence my first post ending with IANASD for -- I am not a ski designer. And thats why I typically just buy a bunch of skis from manufacturers I trust rather than going custom.

I think with the simple semi-custom stuff many of us could get damn close to what we imagine in a ski. For non-ski designers, its not always obvious what is easier or harder to change. I've skied my buddies PB&J a number of days, and that ski with a bit softer Deathwish-esque flex, and the microcambers would be pretty damn appealing. A softer PB&J was obviously on the radar, hence the PB&Jib which looks like a stupid fun ski.

Anyone have any time on the Meridian Tours? Evo has a decent deal on last years model, and I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on them for a side country ski. Probably throw some shifts in them so they can handle some inbounds duty as well when needed. Looking for a pivoty, playful ski that can still hold up to my 200 lbs at speed. Maybe a little bit of a slimmed down sickle.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Awesome info -- thanks. And I have no doubts that there is a reason you all make the skis you do -- hence my first post ending with IANASD for -- I am not a ski designer. And thats why I typically just buy a bunch of skis from manufacturers I trust rather than going custom.

I think with the simple semi-custom stuff many of us could get damn close to what we imagine in a ski. For non-ski designers, its not always obvious what is easier or harder to change. I've skied my buddies PB&J a number of days, and that ski with a bit softer Deathwish-esque flex, and the microcambers would be pretty damn appealing. A softer PB&J was obviously on the radar, hence the PB&Jib which looks like a stupid fun ski.
    Some of the employees have also made a PB&Death. A PB&J in the Deathwish mold. Its a pretty fun ski...

Some of the employees have also made a PB&Death. A PB&J in the Deathwish mold. Its a pretty fun ski...
    Would that be a 190...or 184? Seeing how it's already been done...what would something like that run???
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Moment Skis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You do realize everyone calls KT-22 one of the best lifts in the lower 48 to prepare yourself for AK / big mountain skiing, right?
    I should have said, “If only I skied untracked snow”

Melee, I was told you can mess around with the woods in your designs? Is that true? Like a Maple/Ash Wildcat? JW

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Would that be a 190...or 184? Seeing how it's already been done...what would something like that run???
    If you want an existing sidecut (PBJ) in a Deathwish mold its not a hard thing to do. You can do whatever size you want since these templates and molds already exist. You can also pick any graphic from our collection and put it on your ski. Cost is retail pricing on the base model plus $250 (no discounts or other codes can be used to offset this price). Shoot us an email for more details if you want to make it happen: luke@momentskis.com
    Last edited by Melee; 08-22-2018 at 02:58 PM.

I should have said, “If only I skied untracked snow”

Melee, I was told you can mess around with the woods in your designs? Is that true? Like a Maple/Ash Wildcat? JW

If you want the heaviest Wildcat ever made we can definitely produce one with a Maple/Ash core. No problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Anyone have any time on the Meridian Tours? Evo has a decent deal on last years model, and I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on them for a side country ski. Probably throw some shifts in them so they can handle some inbounds duty as well when needed. Looking for a pivoty, playful ski that can still hold up to my 200 lbs at speed. Maybe a little bit of a slimmed down sickle.
    Wow, they do have those listed for a really decent deal.

Its mellow full rocker make it very playful. It has a pretty stiff flex profile due to the rocker so it will hold up to your 200lbs. I ski the 187cm and am 6'2" 190lbs without ski gear on...

Moment Skis Discussion

I can vouch that the meridians hand flex stiff! Stiffer than my full rocker Katana.

Thanks for all the answers Melee, you da man

Can do you old topsheets? My girlfriend fell in love the with the Bella that had the diving bell on it (I think 2016?), and she has been talking about it non-stop since she saw it. I've been trying to get a hold of a pair of that vintage, but it's proven impossible. So perhaps a new Bella with the old topsheet is a possibility?

I'll have to agree with her though, it's an incredibly good looking ski.

Edit: this one: https://www.rasc.ru/gear/skis/images...nt/bella-0.png

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Can do you old topsheets? My girlfriend fell in love the with the Bella that had the diving bell on it (I think 2016?), and she has been talking about it non-stop since she saw it. I've been trying to get a hold of a pair of that vintage, but it's proven impossible. So perhaps a new Bella with the old topsheet is a possibility?

I'll have to agree with her though, it's an incredibly good looking ski.

Edit: this one: https://www.rasc.ru/gear/skis/images...nt/bella-0.png

I love that graphic.

We can do that no problem. We do it all the time for people. Shoot us an email (luke@momentskis.com), we send over the digital invoice for the custom and then it gets put into the production queue. Its typically a pretty fast process.

If you want the heaviest Wildcat ever made we can definitely produce one with a Maple/Ash core. No problemo.

You guys have Maple? This is an interesting development! What have you used Maple for in the past? Thought everything was Aspen/Ash (more charger) or Aspen/Pine (more playful)

Moment Skis Discussion

Rock Maple Rocks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    You guys have Maple? This is an interesting development! What have you used Maple for in the past? Thought everything was Aspen/Ash (more charger) or Aspen/Pine (more playful)
    We make skis that win X-Games and Olympic Gold medals with Maple cores:

https://www.momentskis.com/products/transition

Attachment 244791
    Last edited by Melee; 08-21-2018 at 04:17 PM.

This whole page is really interesting.

Tons of good info, and holy fuck, the semi custom options open the door to some cool experimenting.

Is it possible to add metal to the layup of any ski? Or is that too much of a can of worms? I mean, I know anything's possible, so I guess I mean is it possible in a reasonably economical sense? Like (for example), could you do a Commander layup in a Deathwish shape? (which might be a terrible ski. just spitballing ideas because it's August.)

I want a metal PB&J so bad. That could be my great white buffalo skinny ski.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    This whole page is really interesting.

Tons of good info, and holy fuck, the semi custom options open the door to some cool experimenting.

Is it possible to add metal to the layup of any ski? Or is that too much of a can of worms? I mean, I know anything's possible, so I guess I mean is it possible in a reasonably economical sense? Like (for example), could you do a Commander layup in a Deathwish shape? (which might be a terrible ski. just spitballing ideas because it's August.)
    We can add metal to any ski. We can not promise this is a good idea...but we can do it.

As I stated a bit before material tweaks are usually pretty easy.

The most expensive custom option we do not currently offer is custom camber/rocker profiles and custom sidecuts.

I want a metal PB&J so bad. That could be my great white buffalo skinny ski.

Totally possible.

New Deathwishes showing up tomorrow, my guess is they get mounted up tomorrow evening, “mount your own fucking bindings:”. Maybe I should let my granddaughter do it, some more practice for her.

Aever-Betel,

Here's another review for the front page: Meridian 117: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ian-117-Review

I'd really like to see more comparo's of the M117 and teh Bibby. My Bibbys will die someday, and I'll need a new resort pow slayer...
    Last edited by meter-man; 08-21-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    sproing!

Yes That is I

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Here's another review for the front page: Meridian 117: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ian-117-Review

I'd really like to see more comparo's of the M117 and teh Bibby. My Bibbys will die someday, and I'll need a new resort pow slayer...
    Seconded! Very interested in the Meridian 117 to Bibby comparison. Got some Ghost Train 194 to fill the same spot in the quiver, thinking it will serve a similar purpose of a more pow oriented ski.
    Last edited by jdadour; 08-21-2018 at 07:23 PM.

If you want an existing sidecut (PBJ) in a Deathwish mold its not a bad. You can do whatever size you want since these templates and molds already exist.
    Just so I understand, that's a PBJ sidecut/shape with a Deathwish camber/rocker profile?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos