Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird

Don't know about all the politics and don't really care. Happy Birthday Elizabeth, you're quite a woman!

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I'd hit it
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

get some

Appears to be a lefty, so she's cool.

Basically....

Economic benefit:

Each year millions of vacant, bloated tourists flood into my city and stand for hours blocking pavements while gorging on outsized bars of Cadbury’s chocolate and drinking baked beans straight from the Snap Pot, just to get a glimpse of royal cold shoulder. It is these simple folk that allow a legion of plastic flag sellers to send their children to the finest schools in Britain.
    KQ... tough? How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

God save the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Don't know about all the politics and don't really care. Happy Birthday Elizabeth, you're quite a woman!

An American would wrap bacon around that...and so in lies the difference between civil and uncivil societies.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I guess we can cut her sum slack for shooting a bullpup from a stand in the rain since she killed Hitler single handed in a knife fight while swimming the Rhine in body armor.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Basically....

KQ... tough? How so?
    I'm not going to argue with a Brit about their monarch and I realize what I know is from imperfect history books and news stories. Still, it seems to me she's seen a lot and through it all has remained composed. Heck, the mere fact that a person is still walking and talking at 90 is something. <shrug> Besides it's nice to see women in positions of power even if it is mostly as a figure head.

Edit: Ascending the thrown at the tender age of 25 and ruling for 63 even when you're born to it can't be a total walk in the park. She certainly seems to have taken the mantle and bore it with great responsibility.

Didn't shirk her duty during WWII - how many US politicians send their kids off to do any sort of military service?

Last edited by KQ; 04-21-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    God save the Queen.
    Doesn't look like she needs God's help. She's got that shit handled.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I guess we can cut her sum slack for shooting a bullpup from a stand in the rain since she killed Hitler single handed in a knife fight while swimming the Rhine in body armor.
    Well she was almost 70 when that picture was taken and being only 5'4" .........

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Didn't shirk her duty during WWII - how many US politicians send their kids off to do any sort of military service?
    For three months during 1945 was very occasionally filmed for newsreel footage standing next to army trucks in uniform.....

Hardly Teddy Roosevelt Jr... is it.

If you're on facebook, the page "Jim'll Paint It" is worth following:
    https://www.facebook.com/JimllPaintIt/?fref=ts
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Basically....

KQ... tough? How so?
    I'm sure it was different if you were a royal but IMHO any Brit that survived WWII had to have some sack.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    I'm sure it was different if you were a royal but IMHO any Brit that survived WWII had to have some sack.
    Because getting bombed and having missiles hurled at you requires "sack"?

Rumor has it she had Di killed. You don't wanna mess with her.

Both my parents were children in London during the war. I grew up with their stories of back garden Anderson shelters, the blitz, V1 and V2 missiles, rationing, collecting bomb casing shrapnel, Spitfires dogfighting Messerschmitts etc. etc. My Mom and her mother were at the gates of Buckingham Palace on VE day... she never didn't remind us kids of that whenever we drove past.

As traumatic an experience and as tough as it must have been for brits during the war..

It helps to keep things in perspective.. or at least look at them from a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Because getting bombed and having missiles hurled at you requires "sack"?
    I said survive. How'd you handle WWII?
    The Sheriff is near!

How'd you handle WWII?
    I think the point was surviving in war is about luck. My mother lived in Berlin during the war. One night she went to visit a friend. When she returned later her whole neighborhood was bombed. She didn't have any more "sack" than the people who stayed and died.

I said survive. How'd you handle WWII?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I think the point was surviving in war is about luck. My mother lived in Berlin during the war. One night she went to visit a friend. When she returned later her whole neighborhood was bombed. She didn't have any more "sack" than the people who stayed and died.
    Yeah, I don't get how surviving an aerial bombardment and missile attacks requires any kind of "sack". Maybe you're using "sack" differently but most would say it means, "balls" or courage. My ex MIL survived the blitz and I don't think anyone would ever describe her as having any kind of "sack". I've been subjected to mortar, artillery and SCUD attacks and I don't consider myself brave for surviving, just lucky.

My Jr. High French teacher had some amazing stories of living in Paris during the occupation. Crazy shit.

I won't pretend to have any particular insight on the Queen but I will say the Royal family is very English and not in a good way. You probably have to be British to know just now broken its society is. Many people, WWII vets included, have a pretty strong dislike for the monarchy I feel it is one of the major impediments to real change which Britain desperately needs. Anywho, happy b day...better than the alternative. I hope we never have to say King Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Yeah, I don't get how surviving an aerial bombardment and missile attacks requires any kind of "sack". Maybe you're using "sack" differently but most would say it means, "balls" or courage. My ex MIL survived the blitz and I don't think anyone would ever describe her as having any kind of "sack". I've been subjected to mortar, artillery and SCUD attacks and I don't consider myself brave for surviving, just lucky.
    You guys are missing the point. I agree luck plays a big role in deciding whether you live or die in these circumstances but it's HOW you make it through, not THAT you make it through that I'm talking about. If you were in the military then thanks for your service. Did you keep your shit together during the attacks? How many of the entitled shitheads that we've got running around here today could do the same? These people were subjected to some hard times, shit we can barely imagine and they came through. They could have given in, surrendered (like the French) and let Hitler win but they fought on. I for one honor them for it. If you choose not to, that's up to you.
    The Sheriff is near!

I didn't vote for her.

Jesus Garth, talk about putting words in someone's mouth. "Surviving" WWII is about right. If he was still about, you could ask my Grandpa, a RAF veteran, tail gunner on a Sunderland and later a mechanic, why the British hate the French. Honestly, most of those tough old bastards didn't want you to honor them, they just wanted you to understand that WWII never left them. Those dudes cried a lot and had a hard time sleeping. All wrapped up in that is a country with a drinking problem, lots of resentment towards a monarchy that celebrates WWII , the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the baby boom and what was once the world's most respected country which is now a shell of its former self.