Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Crime in Summit County, Co?

Any B&E issues in older or even newer condos? Cars?

No, just murder (or attempted murder) these days.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/1213...e-olson-attack

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/1198...lleged-assault

Although, looks like one of the thieves in Summit is actually leaning towards the HAWT side......

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/crim...cases-district

Benny, you'd be lucky to have this chick break into your condo......

I keep on thinking of her introduced in scene 11 of some girls in prison movie from the fifties.

I read the Summit Daily a fair amount. Don't see much there.

Her skis are longer than yours pussy

yes scummit isn't the quiet little mtn town it may have once been. It's now a suburb of denver, you also have to remember that two different types of people move here and 80% of them last no more than two years, people come to recreate and people come to hide, I was doing demo on a condo a few weeks ago and found lots of legal papers stashed behind the cabinets they were here to hide for sure

Started locking my car and house just a few years ago, it was a bummer when i came to realization that I had to. Started taking the keys out of the ignition of the car and stopped leaving them on the dash when I'd park around town too another bummer.

The breaking and entering cars is pretty big in late march early april as the seasonal kids start to pack up and leave and need some extra cash to get out of town

as far as the photo of the girl above, I'll just say boy is she fucking stupid and dumb I could actually say alot about her but I"m better off not

From my time there (made it 5 years, then moved to CB for a year), it seemed like there was always a rash of B&Es in the beginning of the ski season and toward the end.

Your right. Scummit county got its name for a reason. Uneducated, low class type Flatlanders coming out of the east would get thru Eisenhower tunnel and say, ' wow I've arrived in the mountains, I'm so cool now. I'll live here.' It was like a filter, or they were to lazy to go any further. Where as my home, Aspen, everyone seemed to be over educated, and knew where they were going, to live and ski in Aspen. But of course that's all over now, Aspen is just as bad as Summit county.

City in the mountains dude. For better or for worse. What's your true concern? Its a lock it up type place but there is no where you would feel unsafe after dark. If it is auto and home type stuff, talk to your insurance agent. The rates will tell you. Oh...bikes....those things just vanish.

Just worried about people stealing my stuff if I find a cheap place, and the cheaper places are a tad ghetto. A tad.

Theft is a crime of opportunity. Just make your stuff harder to nab than the next guy's. Also, open carry for the first few months you are there, apply a "This vehicle protected by Smith & Wesson" on your latte getter and you'll be fine.

You gotta lock your doors, even in the nicer neighborhoods. Few actual break-ins, but every once in a while, I get the change stolen outta my ashtray but they leave the thousands of dollars worth of ski and avy gear alone so I don't complain much. More annoying than anything. I don't think there's too many condo break-ins that I've heard of. Keep your pricy stuff outta sight if you are leaving for extended periods though.

Machete attacks on the other hand, are getting more frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    Your right. Scummit county got its name for a reason. Uneducated, low class type Flatlanders coming out of the east would get thru Eisenhower tunnel and say, ' wow I've arrived in the mountains, I'm so cool now. I'll live here.' It was like a filter, or they were to lazy to go any further. Where as my home, Aspen, everyone seemed to be over educated, and knew where they were going, to live and ski in Aspen. But of course that's all over now, Aspen is just as bad as Summit county.
    Actually, Summit has always been near the top of the list for education level (bachelor degrees or more) amongst CO counties along with Boulder, San Miguel, Pitkin, Eagle and Gunnison Counties. Current census numbers have it 5th behind Boulder, Pitkin, San Miguel and Gunnison counties. With 49% of it's residence with at least a bachelors degree, its hardly an "uneducated" place.

As far as crime and B & E goes Benny, just keep your doors locked and you should be fine. 19 years here (8 in Park County) and I've never had any issues and I can't recall many friends having problems. I did have a buddy get his unlocked kayak taken off his front porch. The thief painted it black (it was yellow) and then paddled it on a local run. It's a pretty small boating community here and other paddlers noticed the yellow showing where the black paint had been scraped off from hitting rocks. He was busted. Gotta be pretty friggin dumb to think you can get away that in such a small place.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post

Machete attacks on the other hand, are getting more frequent.
    Yeah, you know? Kids these days. Creepy shit.

Thanks all. Did this ten years ago, just wondering if those damn snowboarding heroin addicts have taken over.

Machete fights and death over Salsa. The Summit Daily gives the national inquirer a run for it's money!

Sound asleep on the second floor master, woke up to a dude shuffling thru the dresser drawers. This was one block off of main in Breck. Sat up, dude turned and bolted down the stairs. Ran out the backdoor bare foot following his tracks. Feet got cold and i headed back. Guy didnt take anything. Called the cops. Called my buddy who owned the place. Neither were surprised and said to lock the doors, dumbfuck. Next day both neighbors had garages busted into. Shit happens in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    the cheaper places are a tad ghetto. A tad.
    where would the cheep ghetto places be? I'm lost didnt know we had cheep ghetto neighborhoods

Well, maybe I'm being a bit snooty here, but the older (re: 70s to 80s) condo complexes not in downtowns and next to highways are a bit, um, ghetto. A bit.

There is a lot of heroin out there, even in ski country, and I don't want to live next to no junkies. Been there, done that back in the day. Nosiree.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, maybe I'm being a bit snooty here, but the older (re: 70s to 80s) condo complexes not in downtowns and next to highways are a bit, um, ghetto. A bit.

There is a lot of heroin out there, even in ski country, and I don't want to live next to no junkies. Been there, done that back in the day. Nosiree.
    Yeah, there's always the chance you'll end up with something like that. What are you looking to pay for rent? Might be able to point you in the right direction.

Yep, that's one on the issues with Summit. There is no down valley. No where to export the problems. You've got Eisenhower on one side and Eagle County on the other. So it all goes down there in Silverthorne. If wish it were not the case but people=problems. More people=more problems. I'm not saying it's bad in the grand scheme of things, simply that it can be a little more in your face than the tourists and second home owners would like.

I can't speak to individual complexes and such but you can't escape the fact that the cheaper the rent, the more people with problems. We could go round and round about the economics of tourist/mountain/ski towns but when unemployment is <5%, rent is probably around $750/per person, entry level wages are <$10 and the large employers are complaining that they can't get enough help and are bringing in indentured servants on J and H-1B visas it becomes fairly apparent that the powers that be are not interested in creating any kind of model that benefits the working class.

But hey, maybe I'm just an older white guy who's opinion is a function of the color of the problem. When the problems were early 20s college graduates drinking and smoking weed vs. middle aged white trash, Hispanics and eastern Europeans and their different set of problems I probably felt different about the problems. Oh wait...maybe I was the problems.

Bottom line Benny, if you don't want to deal with the problems you have to buy your way up and out.

Colorado is the number one user of H-1B visa employees in the nation. Sad but true according to an article I read awhile back, last fall. I believe it's because people like the Crowns have over capitalized and there just isn't enough workers so they import labor, cheap labor, build complexes for them, and the 'ski town' becomes impersonal and crime goes up. But what would I know my family's only been in the mountain of Colorado for six generations.

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    Colorado is the number one user of H-1B visa employees in the nation. Sad but true according to an article I read awhile back, last fall. I believe it's because people like the Crowns have over capitalized and there just isn't enough workers so they import labor, cheap labor, build complexes for them, and the 'ski town' becomes impersonal and crime goes up. But what would I know my family's only been in the mountain of Colorado for six generations.
    I worry about white trash and deliquent white middle class wannabe gang bangers than I do immigrants. I live around plenty of hard working immigrants. Most are too tired and scared of the power to fuck up.

A buddy of mine got robbed there a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    A buddy of mine got robbed there a few weeks ago.
    Break in? Car? With a gun pointed at him?

If you live in Summit, no matter what, you get to call all the Front Rangers "Tunnel Trash". There's that bonus for ya Benny!