Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkwellian View Post
    That's a south west facing slope with terrible snow and there's nothing steep about it. There are no private land holdings in the area, no parking and Kirkwood is still loosing money. Season pass sales are down for a second year. Lodging has suffered low occupancy. Vail stepped into a tar pit. Kirkwood is the Afghanistan of ski resorts, where empires go to die.
    how does one compare season pass sales to previous years when the vast majority of folks buy the Tahoe Value pass?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

That's a south west facing slope with terrible snow and there's nothing steep about it. There are no private land holdings in the area, no parking and Kirkwood is still loosing money. Season pass sales are down for a second year. Lodging has suffered low occupancy. Vail stepped into a tar pit. Kirkwood is the Afghanistan of ski resorts, where empires go to die.
    Um, your looking at the wrong slope.

An I imagine more will move to the Tahoe Local pass a the KW only pass is no longer the deal it once was.

Um, get a compass. Or use google earth.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Lodging has suffered low occupancy
    Maybe they should cut the fucking prices? Cheapest room tonight in the valley is $188. South Lake is $50. That's crazy, but I guess change would "dilute" the "brand"

there are a number of aspects, some of which are sw. some of which are steep. none of it is steep when you get down closer to the lake. that's kinda the point.

The master plan has no mention of Silver Lake area. It does have plans for three new chairs. Out of the five approved in the specific plan two are complete, #14 & #15. The next three will be,Caples express from the "village" to top of #2, a Thimble Pk chair from the backside and a Red Cliff Chair.There are plans to upgrade many of the lifts to high speed quads, so far Vail hasn't put any money into Kirkwood. I have a picture of the old map showing chairs going all over the place. Not going to happen! Bud Klein built chairs 1, 2, 3 and 4, first as a land grab to get a foot hold into what was soon to become designated as a wilderness area.

I agree on the Afghanistan comparison...heh. Just visit there on a Wednesday.

Yes...parts of the Silver Lake slope would get too much sun but its not meant to be a labeled trail...more of La Grave type of thing. Also, on a normal year the slopes around there would be quite skiable, interesting and fun terrain. Of course, utter pipe dreams but for someone like me its cool to think about.

wait, would 4 be removed if there was a lift to the top of thimble?

Doesnt make sense to have two lifts back there...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Just visit there on a Wednesday.
    Instead of closing the backside they should just use it to film an M Night Shamalamadingdong movie

Chair four will stay, the thimble chair will start half way up. The idea is to make thimble for advanced skiers going into the Thunder s. to chair 2.

Chair four will stay, the thimble chair will start half way up. The idea is to make thimble for advanced skiers going into the Thunder s. to chair 2.
    SOunds like a way to avoid a highspeed?

Two slow chairs, one goes half as far?

This makes the least sens of any of these proposed chairs...

They will both be high speed.

The master plan has no mention of Silver Lake area. It does have plans for three new chairs. Out of the five approved in the specific plan two are complete, #14 & #15. The next three will be,Caples express from the "village" to top of #2, a Thimble Pk chair from the backside and a Red Cliff Chair.There are plans to upgrade many of the lifts to high speed quads, so far Vail hasn't put any money into Kirkwood. I have a picture of the old map showing chairs going all over the place. Not going to happen! Bud Klein built chairs 1, 2, 3 and 4, first as a land grab to get a foot hold into what was soon to become designated as a wilderness area.
    We know about the master plan. We've seen the giant model depicting it in the timeshare sales office. Personally I expect Vail to announce a new and improved Master Plan rather than build that nonsense out.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    We know about the master plan. We've seen the giant model depicting it in the timeshare sales office. Personally I expect Vail to announce a new and improved Master Plan rather than build that nonsense out.
    And then shortly there after beat a hasty retreat from Kabul Meadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    And then shortly there after beat a hasty retreat from Kabul Meadows.
    how would they find a buyer??

Can anybody think of a property that Vail's offloaded? I can't. They've been smarter than Intrawest and the rest. So far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Vail hadn't really acquired much until the last bust (Northstar, Kirkwood, Afton/Brigton all in the last 3 years)

I'm guessing that Vail, Beav and Heavenly were/are cash machines like Whistler is. Based on the sale price for Kirkwood I can't imagine it is.

The predecessor to Vail Resorts - Vail Associates went tits up when junk bonds died. Since that time Gillet's gone bankrupt again draging the scouse with them in a rather hilarious court battle

Ahh... that's right. And swooped in on Heavenly when ASC was going under.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

They will both be high speed.
    Pretty sure the current MP replaces 4 with a high speed quad, but the Thimble Peak chair would utilize the old chair 4, making it a slow bucket. While the cat road from 4 will cease to exist both chairs would offer access to TS. The idea of the new chair is to 1) give patrol access to secure the cirque, cutting out hike time 2) make 99 steps a mogul run, an 3) take pressure off chair 4 and 4) make so guest do not need to soothe lower angle to return to 4.

Personally, I hope the Outback Grill gets moved up slope to base of the TP chair. Better view if skiing.

An there is a sustained 90 degree slope going down to SL. That is pretty steep.

The slope is 14% to Silver Lake. That's a green run. I was just on top of Thimble and the snow is melted off for 100 yards on the SL side.
    Vail was forced to sell a CO resort by the Justice Department after an anti trust suit. That might happen in the SouthLake area if Vail is deemed to have too much market control in the Tahoe area.

The slope is 14% to Silver Lake. That's a green run. I was just on top of Thimble and the snow is melted off for 100 yards on the SL side.
    Vail was forced to sell a CO resort by the Justice Department after an anti trust suit. That might happen in the SouthLake area if Vail is deemed to have too much market control in the Tahoe area.
    Pretty sure they never owned A-Basin and were just forced to limit their buy to 49% so they couldn't have a controlling share. The same might happen if they attempted to buy Sierra.

Again. Wrong slope. Look for a rocky chute that is easily visible from the west shore of Silver. That is what 666 wants. And why so serious? Hugh I planning on stacking two KW on top of each other. Kapeesh?

But, if we are going to be serious. Snow management can keep snow in its place. And we just went through the driest Jan/Feb on record. Other than global warming, what could go wrong. And 14% sounds about perfect for folks who actually spend money at the resorts, so no problem there.

Oh. If they buy Sierra, suddenly I'd like in on the Tahoe pass.

But only if they build a Thimble to Grandview interconnect.

666 is talking about Thunder Mountain, The part you cant get into without down climbing with safety. Thats a beautiful face but not skiable for 99% of BC skiers. I am so serious because Vail is ruining Kirkwood. Vail won't let Ski Patrol sell drinks at the top of chair #2 to support the avalanche rescue dog program. Just 200 yards from the place they sold drinks for over twenty years, a man was rescued by those very dogs after being buried by an avalanche. People are giving Fail credit for connecting Kirkwood to the grid in two years but that project has been in the works for 30 years. Vail lowered wages resulting in under staffed lifts and ticket scanners, creating longer lines and safety issues. They have spilled hundreds of gallons of diesel and most of the mountain smells like a toxic waste dump. Kids eat that cancer snow cone unknowingly. The snow Cats has been leaking huge amounts of diesel and hydraulic fluid Casey Blann knows all about it and let it continue, his solution was an emergency trip to Tahoe to buy more hydraulic fluid. The Issues are serious.

I would definitely like to hear more about how Vail is fucking up kirkwood, but we're just running through pipe dreams here. And the Silver Lake interconnect would be a bad thing for me anyway. I like that the Spur closures keeps things slow after big dumps. I like taking my kids camping at Silver Lake and taking them to the potholes, which I'm sure Vail would fuck up somehow.