Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Why Do You Huck?

Are you trying to prove you are a macho-man, sir?
    Do you enjoy the sensation of free-falling but balk at the price of sky-diving/BASE jumping?
    Does it give you access to poonani that would otherwise remain inaccessible to you?
    Are you testing the tensile strength of your new Lhasas, perchance?
    HAS SOMEONE QUESTIONED THE SIZE AND APPARENT EXISTENCE OF YOUR TESTICLES?!

I do it because I love what happens at the point of no return. Looking down/at the lip there are always a million thoughts rolling through my mind. What if what if what if... I always think of the wind lip that ended my season in Whistler. I wonder how deep the landing is. I get downright scared. Then that moment comes, the line is crossed, I go "fuck it", push off, and everything goes away. I am a million billion little atoms unattached.

Landing right-side-up is just a bonus.

Cuz I can't fly.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Because it's a rush.

Cause its fucking fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
    Because it's a rush.
    yeah, and not to mention if there's a smooth landing that you keep your speed on it's just fun and so refreshing..

and I don't have a million thoughts in my head, and if I have to wait for a camera man and it's a pretty big cliff I just think about McConkey(most often, and this is most common for any extra thrilling skiing), Hjorleifson, Hugo Harrison, and a few others that make it look so smooth. Claim and EDIAS in general too haha.

plus, it's fun watching some skiers get mad/ in some sort of denial that you are so much better than them(most enjoyable from people who can only do things in park , and only enjoyable with the ones who claim to be so great).

gunit130 Guest
    what the fuck did you just say?

5 footers are not "hucks" imo

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Hard to really explain it without sounding like some hippy bro-brah, but being in the air is a form of freedom IMO. The 2-3 seconds you are in the air are probably the only 2-3 seconds of the whole day/week/month that are really YOURS. You could have a million things going on in your life and none of that matters for just a brief moment.

Very good responses in here. Here's why I do it.

For the Ladies.
    To Have sweet photos.
    To Push myself.
    Because my buddy hit it and I have to go bigger (skiing with good friends and progression).
    When its smooth its unbeatable.
    Because its fun as shit.
    Because the landing is prime.
    WHY NOT?

Like Whiteroom said, you own that time in the air, everything else going on, anything pressing on my mind, etc. can all go fuck itself when i'm flying through the air. Its quiet up there just floating coming down into soft pillows.
    09/10 (BIRD) : 110 (98)
    10/11(Concussions) : 68 (2)

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Dude snowbird called wps you left your bros, boots and poles on the tramdeck
    We were worried you had a bad shroom trip the 4th and were stuck cowering in a corner of the basshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    sfb - thanks - that is my locker - picked them up on saturday - they are great skis!

Quote Originally Posted by Boonshackle View Post
    Are you trying to prove you are a macho-man, sir?
    yes, but mostly to me.

Do you enjoy the sensation of free-falling but balk at the price of sky-diving/BASE jumping?
    freefalling implies your not worried about the landing. that sometimes applies on really deep days when you don't even expect to stick it. the really floaty airs are cool like that too. but most of the time it's more like fighting for control, rolling the windows up, then down, freaking out about the crater, rock, or traverse you were hoping to avoid. it's anything but freefalling, yet still the same rush.

Does it give you access to poonani that would otherwise remain inaccessible to you?
    apparently not

Are you testing the tensile strength of your new Lhasas, perchance?
    they're not so much new any more.

HAS SOMEONE QUESTIONED THE SIZE AND APPARENT EXISTENCE OF YOUR TESTICLES?!
    yes, but again, mostly me (you guys still with me?).

it's weird, i have a fear of heights. half of my skiing freaks me the fuck out. jumping not so much. i think part of it is that i don't always get to see the scary part until it is too late so it doesn't bother me. maybe my fear of heights has nothing to do with a fear of falling. maybe it's about conquering that fear.

i'm also an arachnophobe, but would never ever ever ever consider putting myself near a spider to prove any of the above. i love the mountains, but my move from florida was 1/3 to head out west, 1/3 running from the law, and 1/3 getting away from giant banana spiders. fork those forking forks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Cuz I can't fly.
    FTW.

I'm sure sky-diving etc are fun, but you need noisy planes, dollars, etc etc. I prefer just my skis and the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    5 footers are not "hucks" imo
    I dunno, if your landing is ice and crust, or highly exposed, or over 40 slope, or rocks, or trees abound . . . 5 footers can take balls to go off

Edit ^^^ ok just got it, i'm slow today
    Last edited by Sparky; 03-21-2010 at 06:14 AM.

three parts:

First the apprehension, being able to convince yourself you
    totally have the air and landing 100%, then the following moment
    when you look down it and it doesn't look big anymore, followed by a
    sense of calm.

Second the breakthrough moment; while just clearing the lip and the air
    looks its biggest from your own POV. Having all your previous muscle memory experience take over, and the quiet focus. The way you experience time changes in these very few short seconds. The quiet calmness experienced
    alters the perception of time itself, from sliding up to the edge, dropping, and landing, a process that takes only 4-5 seconds, seems like minutes. This allows you to respond in what normal time would be fractions of a second, but in the altered state of mind may seem like longer.

Third; the light headed feeling sometimes even accompanied by visual floaties after comig to a stop after completing the line...no I am not a hippie.

i hucked the big loogie drippin down tower 4 the other day, too warm to freeze it.

I don't huck , SO if I did it would be cuz I totally fucked up eh ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-21-2010 at 10:02 AM.

I love knowing when I am ready to drop, sometimes a lull in the fear that lasts for only a split second, I have to take it or I will be standing, waiting, scared, again. The second I slide into the lip I am calm, my mind is at peace, my body running on memory, unless something goes wrong of course, in which case my body says ooohhhh fuuuckk oohh fuck fuck, flails a bunch in an attempt to keep it together whilst my mind can think only one thing "oh Fuck." I like the strange comfort i derive from falling, to some extent it defies human nature.

I huck 'cause I'm fly
    You don't cause you not
    This is why
    This is why
    This is why I huck.

eh I don't look for air. If it finds me that's cool.

There's nothing that compairs to a good huck, quality grab and a solid stomp in deep pow. esspecially when I can link 3 in quik succession.
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Clearly Sentinel chooses not to interlectualize his hucking

We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

I huck, Therefore, I am!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

I think we all do this for the same reason...

When you do something technical with high consequence, survival demands complete attention to the exclusion of absolutely everything else that's going on in your life. It's the only perfect release. If your hucks don't give you this feeling, it's time to go bigger.

If by huck you mean jump off of something with no plan of skiing away (and by that I mean, hip checking, back slapping stuff) I usually don't do that on purpose.

I usually don't hit things unless I plan on stomping the shit out of it. Which means I usually don't go bigger than 25ft. But I do that because it's fun as hell. Hauling ass away from a drop is the best feeling ever. I would also agree that the totally scared "o shit" moment right as your skis leave the ground and you can finally see your landing is the best kind of rush.

Adrenaline?

I like it when my heart starts pumping fast.

Being scared isn't always a bad thing. Especially when you stomp whatever scared you in the first place.

I like to think I can fly.

Tunnel vision is kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Cause its fucking fun.
    /thread
    blah blah post too short

might as well ask: why do you fuck?

uhhhh

cause its satisfying