Page 10 of 435 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    I'm just interested to know what's the motivation behind owning a bunch of assault weapons? (Lets not let this turn into a semantic argument, I'll say up front "I don't know shit about guns", but I know that some guns aren't for hunting or sport).
    How often do you have the opportunity to go pop off some rounds? What does that cost you in ammo?
    Is it a rush to fire them?
    Are you blowing off steam?

Do you own them for protection? From?

Where did you guys get all the knowledge about these seemingly obscure models?

Not trying to shit on anyone's gun stoke, I'm just trying to understand some of my fellow Americans a little better. It seems like an expensive habit.
    Ok First off, assault weapons is a term created by the media, "assault weapons" mean they can be fired in full auto.

Now, with semi auto rifles, there is really just difference in the "extras". The pics of my guns, the wooden rifle on the left fires the same round, and just as quickly as the rifle in the middle. They are both semi automatic rifles with detachable mags. All the other stuff is just little extras that some people want: the ability to put scopes/sights, lights, etc on a gun is something some people want. The "scary" looking stuff like adjustable stocks and pistol grips, just make guns more ergonomic and comfortable to shoot.

A lot of people hunt with what are popularly referred to as "assault rifles". Some people just like those types of guns.

The question of why someone owns guns is one that a lot of gun owners might be hard pressed to answer. Some use them for hunting, but for a lot, its just a combination of they're fun/i can/i hunt/protection from criminals/possible protection from tyranny someday/i just feel better owning one

Ammo is pricey, but it can be combated, some people reload their own rounds, and buying in bulk instead of at walmart helps a lot. I last paid about $.17 for 9mm, and about $.23/round for .223. You can get about 500 rounds of .22 for about $15.

As far as firing them, its not really about the rush, its more about focus, just like skiing. Thats another thing that keeps ammo costs down, is you're not just blasting away, you're aiming at stuff and trying to improve.

And about the model names, how do you remember all the different skis out there? It is an expensive hobby, but so is skiing. So are cigarettes.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal View Post
    I've got a broken humorus (no joke). But please note that you really should read for comprehension. No where in this thread have I called for gun control. Perhaps it's the pain killers that are interrupting your brain functions ? Just trying to offer excuses for your rather poor skills in continuing discussions.
    What? ok, so what you're saying is that you have no valid point about gun control, you're just trying to be obnoxious?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cool. Thanks for the straight answer Leroy.
    I was honestly suprised by the amount of guns that came out of the woodwork in this thread and thought I'd do some asking.

Edit: I went to Bass Pro Shop for the first time in my life on Sunday. That place was crazy. I FAILED the shootin range.
    "It's too bad that a lot of people have never experienced the feeling of rollerblading in the cool air of a summer evening"
    TheQuietStorm

flow, ill just add one little perspective here from a non-gun nut\enthusiast but from someone who does own a gun, not for protection or hunting, but just for sport

when I go to the range or somewhere to shoot, i feel the exact opposite of getting a rush or blowing off steam. for me its a really relaxing calm time where I can focus on my surroundings, ie pay attention to temperature, winds, pressure, etc. Imagine going to a nice spring meadow for a picnic where you just want to relax, have a beer, and enjoy the day. Thats kinda how I feel i guess.

target shooting in and of itself isnt a fast paced lets go fire off 1000 rounds of ammo. its a slow, methodical, and calculated sport in the sense that its not only about what load you're firing, trajectories, and what gun you have, but also in how you prepare yourself to shoot.

What im talking about here is to have some sort of physiological control over yourself to slow your heart rate, control your breathing, and find when is the most accurate time to pull the trigger to get repeatable and accurate results. You start to notice your heart beat and how much that moves the gun around and figure out overtime when is the best point for you to fire.
    Similarly, you notice at what point in your controlled exhale you feel the most stable.

Its really very cool when you try to understand all the factors involved and then try to make the best of that. Ive been meaning to take my rifle out forever. If you want, you're invited when I do

Hell yeah Phil. Interesting take.

I'm down. I'll have to tell Nora I'm going to ride bikes tho.
    "It's too bad that a lot of people have never experienced the feeling of rollerblading in the cool air of a summer evening"
    TheQuietStorm

no reason we cant do both

Homoerotic Overtones Enliven NRA Meeting

COEUR D'ALENE, ID—Repression was the order of the day as the National Rifle Association's North Idaho Chapter held its annual convention this weekend..

More than 25,000 dedicated gun lovers from across Northern Idaho flocked to the Coeur d'Alene Convention Center for the two-day event, happily sublimating homosexual impulses amid a carefully maintained facade of platonic camaraderie.
    Moscow, ID, resident Richard Hoflinger, 47, a longtime gun-rights activist, proudly exhibited the collection of antique rifles through which he has channeled his culturally unacceptable impulses. "Guns should be part of any upstanding Christian family," Hoflinger said, sticking a long, thick, oily pipe-cleaner 14 inches up an 1886 Remington.

In the next booth, another latent gay man, Duane Erlich of Sandpoint, moved his hand slowly up and down a well-polished 1948 Winchester. "Ain't she a beautiful baby?" Erlich said, displaying the kind of feminization/infantilization of firearms for which NRA members are renowned.
    Erlich then demonstrated the proper loading procedure for his "baby," lovingly inserting a pair of bullets into the dark, snug-fitting tunnels before thrusting the gun's bolt smoothly into the action, cocking it firmly.
    "This'll blow a man straight to heaven," he said.

The tone of the event was set by chapter president John Henry Unger, whose opening remarks cited the "wonderful variety of weaponry on display, from little snub-nosed pieces that fit snugly in your pocket to big, meaty shooters with barrels as thick as your arm."
    Unger then fired his father's prize Colt Peacemaker revolver into the air, drawing raucous applause from the crowd, many of whose own fathers had suppressed latent physical attraction for their adolescent sons by channeling their forbidden feelings into totemistic firearms.

All over the convention floor, gun manufacturers proudly unveiled new technologies which will allow simmering homoerotic tensions to be expressed with greater nuance than ever before. At the Smith & Wesson booth, company spokesman Darrell Trace displayed a handgun made from a newly developed metal alloy whose "incredibly hard" nature, he explained, gives it no recoil after discharge, providing its user with "a far greater sense of control over his piece."
    "It's a very comfortable gun, very soft in the hands," added Trace, noting that Smith & Wesson had designed the gun to appeal to "shooters tired of coming home from the firing range with sore, worn-out wrists."

But even as conventioneers reveled in a two-day orgy of firearm-to-phallus transference, a dark cloud hung over the event. The NRA has declined in power over the last decade, and its once-potent lobbyists have come out on the losing end of key legislative battles like the Brady Bill, causing many members to bring their lifelong subconscious fears of castration to the fore.
    "If the gun-control lobby wants my rod, they'll have to yank it from my dead body," said Pocatello-area bar-owner Joseph Greer, cradling a tell-tale snub-nosed revolver.
    "Those guys out there in Washington are tryin' to take our guns away, but we ain't gonna let 'em," Greer continued, adding classic paternal displacement to the already-rich psychosexual tapestry. "No siree, Bob."

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the straight answer Leroy.
    I was honestly suprised by the amount of guns that came out of the woodwork in this thread and thought I'd do some asking.

Edit: I went to Bass Pro Shop for the first time in my life on Sunday. That place was crazy. I FAILED the shootin range.
    The # of guns in this country is staggering. I haven't heard any stats, but they're everywhere,

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    The # of guns in this country is staggering. I haven't heard any stats, but they're everywhere,
    According to this decade old National Institute of Justice article - 200 million.

According to this decade old National Institute of Justice article - 200 million.

Thanks man, just made my day.

Only 35% of houses have guns in em though? That seems a little low.

I'm sure theres a whole lot of gun owners that just lied too

I'm sure theres a whole lot of gun owners that just lied too
    Maybe this country would be a better place if those same gun owners were more honest

Maybe this country would be a better place if those same gun owners were more honest
    Why?

Nothing says you have to disclose that stuff.

How many of you guys Pack heat on the slopes?

Seriously, in my motorcycle forum, it is fucking staggering how many biker's carry pistol's under their jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

Seriously, in my motorcycle forum, it is fucking staggering how many biker's carry pistol's under their jackets.
    that's pretty much the only time i don't carry a firearm, as I feel relatively safe among maggots, gapers, lift operators, TJ Burke, and Dexter Rutecki.

This could be useful.

Nato 9 mm Leki

Cheap, lotta kick, good sized round. Are you just looking for a plinking gun?
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

Quote Originally Posted by dn4989 View Post
    Anyone shot a Mosin-Nagant M44? looking for some beta here.
    no serious quiver is complete without one. get a decelerator recoil pad cuz they kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

I've carried an 8 shot .357 mountain biking, and I've skied with it early in the fall when critters might still be around.

I might carry for BC in fall and late spring, but that's it. Inbounds, in-resort, it's just dead weight, and I have enough of that.

I own two. What would you like to know?

Jer, what model riffle is that with what stock, because I can't find it anywhere on thier site.
    M595, .22-250. They don't make 'em anymore.

FuckeeFaggot - Let's say the impossible happens and you get your way and all guns are outlawed. There's a bazillion guns in private ownership right now. How many people will willingly give them up to the government? How many will just say "somebody stole it a year ago"? How many of the millions of criminals who own guns will turn them in? You see, dipshit, guns aren't like skis - they don't wear out in two seasons. How are you gonna get rid of all those guns, moron?

I have the shotgun and the 9mm for personal defense. Police response times where I live can be 4+ hours. Plus, you never know when you'll have to rise up against a tyrranical government. The Tikka is for assassinating clay pigeons at long range. The Bakker shotgun is for the wall - it's got a demascus barrel - you can't shoot it. The .44 is just rad,nd I've used it for hunting. And their all fun. And I can own them, so I do. I don't shoot to blow off steam. Long range shooting with the Tikka is actually a Zen experience.

And Dex - nothing's changed, you're still a loserpud.

No but if your going to get a surplus WW rifle get a Mauser. Probably the single most copied design in gun history. The SPringield 1903 is based on it I believe and they go for 1k. Mauser = Cheap 100 bucks.

I have an Lee Enield for sentimental reasons. 150 at a gun show and it can drop an elephant, but not many around here.
    Last edited by Cono Este; 04-10-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Let's say the impossible happens and you get your way and all guns are outlawed. There's a bazillion guns in private ownership right now. How many people will willingly give them up to the government? How many will just say "somebody stole it a year ago"? How many of the millions of criminals who own guns will turn them in? You see, dipshit, guns aren't like skis - they don't wear out in two seasons. How are you gonna get rid of all those guns, moron?
    That point is lost on most anti's.
    I have only purchased 5 firearms from a gunshop. The rest (more than one but less than I need) were private sales or trades. Nobody, not even my insurance co. has any record of my collection. So when Truckee gets his wish, how do you intend to take mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    FuckeeFaggot - Let's say the impossible happens and you get your way and all guns are outlawed. There's a bazillion guns in private ownership right now. How many people will willingly give them up to the government? How many will just say "somebody stole it a year ago"? How many of the millions of criminals who own guns will turn them in? You see, dipshit, guns aren't like skis - they don't wear out in two seasons. How are you gonna get rid of all those guns, moron?
    Where, sir, have I indicated that my way is to outlaw all guns ? Perhaps it's easier for you to be antagonistic if you put me on an unreasonable position. That way you can be as unreasonable as you like in your responses.

Where, sir, have I indicated that my way is to outlaw all guns ? Perhaps it's easier for you to be antagonistic if you put me on an unreasonable position. That way you can be as unreasonable as you like in your responses.
    Answer the question/post some stoke or go away, pud.