Page 19 of 121 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    ^ agree with everything but the weight comment - not sure how much your pair weighs, but the standard Enduro core is quite light and the concept will be lighter than a lot of other skis it’s size (I.e. about a pound lighter than an equivalent ON3P ski)

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    ^ agree with everything but the weight comment - not sure how much your pair weighs, but the standard Enduro core is quite light and the concept will be lighter than a lot of other skis it’s size (I.e. about a pound lighter than an equivalent ON3P ski)
    Mine are heavy; I'm not imagining that.

That said, now you've made me super-curious to know how damped the newer MAP core ski feels compared to the old ones. I could probably never ski another model than the one I have in-area and be pretty dang satisfied. I love those things.

cheers,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Thanks for all that info! I was also considering the RX and Freeride but was leaning towards the shape of the concept. The BC looks intriguing, is it a good inbounds ski with a heavier core? I'm aware of the low tide spells and thinking about it more I'll probably hold on to my pair of GS skis for those in which case "Quiver of One" was probably a bit misleading. I have a pair of 108mm waisted skis (Faction Candide 3.0) which do okay on hardpack but are just too short for after I move and I'll be getting rid of them. I figured stepping up in waist width would give me something for everything but the worst of days in which case I'll break out the race skis. Unfortunately my skiing will be limited by my work schedule for now which I assumes means lots and lots of tracked out skiing though not necessarily ice all the time.
    Oh, if you have race stock GS skis for groomer zooming then Concept, RX or GPO should be great the other 85% of resort time! It's really the cold high pressure snaps to be concerned with. Or any day after a freezing rain on old snow.

The BC, in a heavier, stiffer and damper layup than my 2012 version is a fine, super versatile FUN resort ski that can handle anything, and likes to play more than charge. The flex and rocker profile around the tail makes it so fun and forgiving to ski ... every small soft lip turns into a ramp ... but that tail also limits the amount of energy you can put into the ski. It's not to say you can't really drive into the ski - you absolutely can. But it won't scream at you when you're in the backseat like other skis will, and it will wash if you pressure your tail too hard or for too long. For a long time I used my carbon layup, lighter MAP core (UL predecessor), Flex 2 BC as my travel ski and it was fine, super fun in soft resort snow (even softening groomers and packed pow) and horrible in sun-stiffened chop, windfunk, railroad tracks, cookies, death crust, etc. The stiffer and heavier layup addresses the crap snow performance, and I have multiple friends who use a heavier fiberglass version (this was before veneer topsheets was a Praxis thing, as I'm now convinced veneer is always better than glass if you can pay for it, touring or resort application) as their general resort ski - but if you wanna crush like Tabke, Lars or Kevin O I'd go another route.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

What’s everybody’s thoughts on the SND in a -10 width as a groomer zoomer? Or should I stick to stock width. I need something for east coast ice and man made next year. The other alternative is just get something like a head supershape or kastle Mx. I know that sounds like blasphemy, but I’m being realistic. There’s 7 sets of praxis in the household already!

call me crazy but 82 seems narrow enough to not roll the dice on changing the special sauce...

Also, what ever came of that ski that was on their insta a few weeks ago, the A... something something. It was billed as a ski designed to be plus 10 or minus 10 friendly. Can't quite remember what they called it but don't see it anywhere on the site.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

It isn’t named yet. They are having a naming contest on social media. “A-SKI” is supposed to be an acronym. You decide what it stands for ... winner gets ... warm fuzzies?

An evolution of our popular RX model, A-SKI’s 147-110-133 dimension introduces a smaller turn radius than what you typically see in the Praxis lineup- about 19 m. The stock edition is a great all mountain do-everything ski, and its golden 110 underfoot is also designed to work well for the width offset of +10mm or -10mm.

Add 10mm width and you go from a charging all mountain ski to a solid powder ski, add an ultralight core to it and you have a fat touring ski. Or subtract that 10mm and add a heavy hitter core and you have a powerful, all mountain piste carver- you’re only limited by your imagination!

The Standard Edition is available in a 185cm length and comes with the Enduro core and #4 flex.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

not that I'm in the market this year, but any word if the lhasa 191 will go into yearly custom rotation?

Why so little chatter this year? is no one snapping up half priced customs?

Too
    Much
    Snow

Everyone must be busy skiing!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I wish I had that problem. Longest dry spell I think I've ever experienced in SW bc.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Why so little chatter this year? is no one snapping up half priced customs?
    Darn skis are so well built & take so much punishment - not that this is an excuse to not lust at new flavors.

Maybe the previous years' buying frenzies (over buying if that's possible) and subsequent saturation on Gear Swap is taking a toll, although (in theory) folks would be posting about skis they see for sale that they're considering. Could it be that folks have refined their search skills? Nah.

Maybe this is related, but I've been amazed at how long some GPOs and Billy Goats have remained unsold on GS.

'nuther thought ...

I'm growing less enamored of spending big coin on skis I can't demo. My first Praxis was a pair of GPOs which are some of my favorite skis EVER.

Since then, I struck out on Freerides (I let my ego select too robust of a build), Quixotes ("too mental" to quote Alpy), and Protests (I wont repeat myself).

I'm really excited about a pair of EXPs that I recently picked up from @grinch and maybe I'll up my batting average to .400 after mounting them

So maybe the correct answer to all of these questions is "Praxis Rx"

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I hope so Thom(exp). My gpo,s have stood the test of time. Just epoxies a couple topsheet slices 2 minutes ago.are they 5 years old now? Not sure but they still have tons of energy and do it all.
    RX seems like a good bet. No learning curve, nothing funky, just purposely designed to intuitively rip.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Think I’m going to pick up some Piste Jibs as a nice soft bump ski this year, 184, 3 flex, heavy core, veneer

FTW- See previous page for update from last trip. They rip in bumps no doubt, but they do sooo much more really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Think I’m going to pick up some Piste Jibs as a nice soft bump ski this year, 184, 3 flex, heavy core, veneer
    Now, THAT's a ski I'd take a chance on (eating his words)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I went 4 on my PJ...don’t regret it at all either. It’s a fantastic tree ski, light and chargy (to a point). I bought it for spring skiing and that’s where it shines for my uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    FTW- See previous page for update from last trip. They rip in bumps no doubt, but they do sooo much more really well.
    Yeah, it’ll serve as a general soft snow (but not anything over 4 inches) and spring ski as well.

What flex are yours?

Don’t want to go full 4, maybe 3+ though

3 Flex. Its perfect for me in that model. The little extra forgiveness in bumps is appreciated, and the heavy core and veneer add the little extra damp for when the speeds get higher and snow gets shittier.. My Concepts are also a 3. They were my first praxis that I got cheap as an end of the year clear out sale, before the whole custom thing started. When I first hand flexed them I remember thinking I'd wasted a bunch of cash as I was coming off some really stiff flexing skis, and they felt way too soft. I was pretty shocked after skiing them how much more substantial they felt. For me at my weight (165-170) 3 is a nice flex that is more lively at medium speeds and can be pushed without too much thought at higher speeds. The 4 flex (which my Qs are) is much more a game on flex, that is fine at medium speeds.

Sale has my mouth watering. PSA order today and get some free poles!

I probably can't pull the trigger and daydreaming here but I have some BCs as my only inbounds "mid-fat" for CO really like them. Wondering what is a little narrower, can bust a little crud and handle the variable-to-firm-but-not-totally-frozen tracked out trees and bumps around here better than those (which do pretty good with it). 9D? 9D8? SND in a softer flex? Not sure Ii like Piste Jib for such application but that model seems to have come up too.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 04-01-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Every time I think I need narrower skis for riding lifts, I hop on my GPOs and forget about it, but maybe that's just me

I know you're looking to go in the other (width) direction (and I don't know your home ski region), but anywho ...

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to keep only one pair of skis from my quiver, I'd struggle between my GPOs an my Down CD 114s. Either one would keep me happy for a long time.

The tail is nice enough to survive frozen bumps and they pivot on a dime. Quick in trees and great in slush bumps (it's nearing that time of year again).

Railing on groomers? To the extent that a 116 ski can do so, they're ok, but as Iggy said, groomers are a means of getting to untracked snow.

They're not quite the powder and crud ski that a Billy Goat is, but they're much, much more versatile.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-01-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Every time I think I need narrower skis for riding lifts, I hop on my GPOs and forget about it, but maybe that's just me
    ... Thom
    Need is the wrong operative word Thom
    Don't get me wrong the GPO is awesome for its size as a groomer zoomer, but the PJ is a different story, I think you'd like em.

Jong Lafitte; i have no experience on the BC or any of the more on piste oriented skis like the SnD 9D etc. Can't say if the PJ would do the things you are looking for better than the BC. But it does do those things really well.

Looking at 155 GPO’s for the older girl next year. Could do a softer flex. At 9 yes and 70 pounds she’s loved her 143 shiro’s. Taller, stronger next year.....might be to wide....hell idk

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Wondering what is a little narrower, can bust a little crud and handle the variable-to-firm-but-not-totally-frozen tracked out trees and bumps around here better than those (which do pretty good with it). 9D? 9D8? SND in a softer flex? Not sure Ii like Piste Jib for such application but that model seems to have come up too.

Thanks!
    The past two years, I've been on a few un-TGR skis -- the 9D, SND, 9D8, and Exp. For sunny days where there is spring slush and areas that aren't quite slushy enough, the SND was fantastic. So fast edge to edge and stable at speed in those conditions.

We had an odd winter here, and the 9D8 got the most use in my quiver. Love that ski. It handled everything quite well, even when it was deeper than anticipated. I took the 9Ds on a trip east where it snowed 5 inches on the first night while blowing 60 knots. Only wind and sun for the next several days. The 9Ds were great in bumps and easy to turn in the windpacked powder. Finally, I've about 7 or 8 days touring in the Exps this winter and spring and that ski has a nice shape -- when it was wet sticky, I preferred those the most, even in the deep cement; they seemed to be the least susceptible to getting hung up when it was super grabby out and they're the the most maneuverable ski I have. For a skinny plank, though, I think I prefer my SNDs a bit more (and am planning to sell the Exps this or next year).