Page 37 of 508 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    I've been using a Big Buddy heater in my van without any problems too, I crack a vent window and a rear window and get plenty of ventilation and no condensation issues.
    I have this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	van002.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	120107
    It's been great having all the room inside, but It gets lousy gas milage, Is only 2wd, and it's over 7'9" tall ( I have to take a ferry to get off the island and anything over that height gets charged double. $90.00). luckily? the transmission went so I'm looking for a F350 to pull the tranny, transfer case, and front axle from to finaly make it 4wd. It wont help with the gas milage or being over height, but it will be more useful.
    I also have this, An '81 4wd with a Buick engine

that I've been thinking of combining with a chinook camper

Name:	54916478_1.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	120108
    it would still be big enough for two people, be under height, get decent milage, be 4wd, and still be under 30' long (another charge) when I haul my raft trailer (with a little work to the trailer). My father had a couple of them in the '70s and '80s, they were great campers but were slow as shit, I always thought with 4wd they would be a nice truck.

This would probably work for you, though the price is high:
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...173050517.html

Also, there is this for sale, which would probably fit on your ride:
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...s/message/1044
    Unless you are a member of that Yahoo! Group you cannot access the message, which is:
    "I am considering removing the camper from the blazer to sell. I thought I would put it out there and see what kind of interest there is. The camper is complete except for the fridge. I would say that the camper is in fair condition. Rear door needs rebuild, cabinets are rough. Seats and cots are in excellent condition. Canvas on pop-up needs to be replaced. If I can find a buyer for the camper I would then part out the rest of the blazer. I will not start selling items off the Blazer before I sell the camper.Further details are listed in the "For Sale Doc." #27. If you are interested send me a pm. $500.00 for camper."

This K5 Blazer with camper is a rare beast:
    http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/rvs/3174518026.html

Another one here, also far from you though:
    http://dothan.craigslist.org/cto/3133173791.html

Pay attention to the listings that boltonoutlaw posts.
    He comes across some of the best deals on Winter capable rigs I've seen to date.
    I'll give him credit (or blame him ) for directing me to the rig I ended up with.

Thanks for the links. That one in BC is very nice but over priced, lots of work put into it though. I've looked at the Blazers but they are too small and they wouldn't get any better milage than the van. I passed up a nice one a few years ago for $2500, I don't remember why, maybe my lack of storage space. I see lots of decent toyota models around, If I can find one with good canvas and box it will make a nice project.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Pay attention to the listings that boltonoutlaw posts.
    He comes across some of the best deals on Winter capable rigs I've seen to date.
    I'll give him credit (or blame him ) for directing me to the rig I ended up with.
    Ha ha, I wish I had the money to go with the opinions. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your rig in a fresh snowfall.
    PS: I haven't seen a nicer [same model] come on the market since...

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    Thanks for the links. That one in BC is very nice but over priced, lots of work put into it though. I've looked at the Blazers but they are too small and they wouldn't get any better milage than the van. I passed up a nice one a few years ago for $2500, I don't remember why, maybe my lack of storage space. I see lots of decent toyota models around, If I can find one with good canvas and box it will make a nice project.
    Not especially overpriced as it is 4x4. '88 Sunraders with the 4by are selling for $18000-20000. Take a look at this - $50,000 for a 1985:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Yes-I-am-crazy

Your right, It's really not a bad price, I'm looking for a project. I'd like to find a nice 2wd one and use the parts from my truck to make it 4wd, I think with the V6 it will be much better on the freeway while towing my raft than with the original 4.

Here is our RV. Such a fun ski and surf mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    I've used the Big Buddy catalytic heater in my Class C motor home for four years. You need to leave a window cracked; I generally leave two cracked, as the shutoff on the heaters can be sensitive, and it can be hard to get them going again if the oxygen sensor shuts them down. And there's no condensation problem at all, despite the eager young scientists who insist there must be, with this approach. And no power is req'd to run the things, though there is a fan you can connect to 12v. RV built-in heaters suck a lot of juice, make a lot of noise, get too hot before they shut off & too cold before they kick on . . . Plus they have a feather switch that often prevents them from coming on.
    Buddy heaters are not catalytic. They burn a traditional "flame" and thus take much more oxygen, put off carbon monoxide and require low oxygen shut off sensors for use indoors because of all of the above. Catalytic heaters require none of the above thus are much safer for parking lot use! Plus for me, because of the low oxygen cut off sensor, my buddy heater would constantly shut off when I got much above 65 to 6800 feet. Total PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    A) they are safe for indoor use.
    B) heaters put off carbon monoxide not carbon dioxide
    Sorry, got my carbons mixed up and you are right, buddy heaters can be used inside with adequate ventilation. If I remember correctly, I believe my buddy manual said at least 18 square inches of ventilation. With that said, the reason catalytics are much more popuar in the RV world because of the catalyst burn, the risk of carbon monoxide poising is alot lower!

I am not telling you what to use, just trying to help out my fellow parking lot brothers stay warm and safe.

Hope to see you in a parking lot soon!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

I don't run the heater all night long, just long enough to warm up the van, then I'll light it again before getting out of bed to warm it up again, It only takes a minute to get it over 70* in there. I bought my girlfriend a 12 volt electric blanket a few years ago and it works great, she keeps it in her sleeping bag and turns it on if she gets cold during the night, It also has a timer on it (about 20 minutes?)so it can't kill the battery.

Name:	van deck.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	120328
    Once I finish building this my van will be set for the winter
    Tons of storage for parking lot pimping
    "make it snow you fuck"
    -Mikee, every single morning

Looking for half a pair of 188 tahoes

I'd consider going with two twins, that way you can stack them and get top access to the storage, or put one mattress on the side and have a pseudo couch. Plus you'll have a place to put stuff that is snowy/wet and not wet out your mattress.

Make sure those rollers are heavy duty too.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'd consider going with two twins, that way you can stack them and get top access to the storage, or put one mattress on the side and have a pseudo couch. Plus you'll have a place to put stuff that is snowy/wet and not wet out your mattress.

X2 on the the double twins. A buddy did that in his truck camper and it is working out well.

Also as an FYI, box spring mattresses are horrible bottom insulators. Consider going with a closed cell mattress topper to help insulate.
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Twins are nice, especially if they are stacked.

mmmm, stacked twins...

wait, what are we talking about?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Its a long wheel base e350 so i have a good 7 feet between the bed and the front seats and the mattress was free so for now its what im gonna use
    "make it snow you fuck"
    -Mikee, every single morning

Looking for half a pair of 188 tahoes

Free mattress in a van. Sounds like your going to get laid a lot.

Free mattress in a van. Sounds like your going to get laid a lot.
    Dude, bro... He's got himself a free mattress in a van, chicks dig guys with skills.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Selling my 2000 Chinook Concourse 21' Class B+ Motorhome.
    Ford E-350 Super-Duty chassis. 6.8 liter Triton V-10 engine. Automatic transmission. 30190 miles. 70 hours on generator:
    http://eugene.craigslist.org/rvs/3256850661.html

What's the maggot price in that bad boy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Marshack View Post
    What's the maggot price in that bad boy?
    I take it you saw the list price.
    Shoot me a PM if interested Dave

I take it you sprung for that Bigfoot? Damn, I'd love a Chinook. Want but can't have. Hope it goes to a good home.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    I take it you sprung for that Bigfoot? Damn, I'd love a Chinook. Want but can't have. Hope it goes to a good home.
    Nope. Have my eye on other game...(more this week).
    I was toying with buying that Bigfoot and driving north to Williston, ND to flip it in an oil boom town with a shortage of housing but I couldn't get it together and it sold. Hopefully someone here quietly snatched it up. It was too big for me. Would have been perfect for a winter film crew or as an AK parker.

N41'25,71 W70'40,71 or my mobile ski chalet
    winter digs for 3 months last season revelstoke, RP, baker, and this shot at Kwood 2011-12, Esbar heat, 410ah 12v, 3000w inverter charger, over 20 mpg with out a head wind. in 2010-11 did 13000mi averaged 22.3 mpg. you can see build here http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...ad.php?t=12482

Name:	IMG_3694.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	953.7 KB 
ID:	120422

befor the sprinter it was an astro awd but no real heat and you cant stand up

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	120438

whywodintya
    Last edited by samhop; 09-10-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    can't spell don't care.

There are a couple Bigfoots currently on the Spokane craigslist:
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/3253775958.html
    and
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/3251640567.html