Page 19 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I wish a couple white guys had shown some solidarity but baseball players don't tend to be deep thinkers.
    In the end, that's always the sad conclusion. I mean, Tiger, best evah, but, really, dude, you look stupid and lost.

"want" is probably not right for most of them. They probably mostly felt obligated, it's the President (such as he is) after all.

"want" is probably not right for most of them. They probably mostly felt obligated, it's the President (such as he is) after all.
    Man, they all have cell phones and maybe a private chat room. They had to think a little harder than normal about this one, beyond, you know, tommorow is the White House thing, press the suit and get a haircut. Their manager, well liked, blew it off. Starter teamates, too.

Does Boston have a captain?

wiki sez no. Not since Varitek in 2011.

Ortiz wasn't??

wiki sez no is all I got

Damn. I guess all that cuddly love only goes so far in Bahston.

seems more likely they forgot about it

yeah it's not the perfect word what I really need is some german neologism that combines like 5 words into one but the idea I'm going for is it being the President doesn't mean that much to lots of people anymore. That's not all due to Trump but plenty of it is.

Yeah but you'd need a couple more words in there to express how somebody would feel obligated by their parents and grandparents feelings, even if they don't share the sentiments. Like JD Martinez. I have no idea what he believes politically. And he's kinda connected to Latino culture, but he's from Miami and his parents are Cuban and I assume way to the right politically. If he didn't go to the White House he probably couldn't go home for Thanksgiving. How do you navigate that?

Take a nice trip outside of the U.S. on Thanksgiving. Win win.

Interesting discussion this last page and a half.

If it really does underscore how pervasive divisive politics has become (or the appearance thereof).

Ice, your comment about wishing some of team whitey made a stand (paraphrasing, so forgive the lack of a proper quote - not holding it against you, mind you) made me think: what if John Cornbread from Peoria, IL [insert Thome-Run type image here] grew up with the crazy idea that one day he'd play pro ball, and then even win a World Series, and get to go meet the fucking President, and how wild is that? And lo and behold it happens.

But then we have a tangerine in the White House who isn't very nice to a lot of people, and some of J.C.'s teammates who all don't look like him decide to take a stand and not go. But all Cornbread wants to do is go live out a childhood dream of celebrating a World Fucking Series at the Gotdamed White House and maybe take his mom along for the ride. Shit, it's possible that Johny Deere Baseball didn't vote for the guy, or much less even vote.

Is he now the bad guy? An apologist simply by attending?

I don't know.

Flip side of that coin, I think of a guy like Cookie Carrasco, or Carlos Santana, both of which have become US citizens in the past couple years. They both made big deals out of how hard it was to become one, and there are no shortage of examples of players taking their Oath of Allegiance doing the same. What if one of them just wanted to say, "I grew up in East Juarez and look at me now, I'm in the fucking White House, what's up?"

Is he now a traitor to a cause he may sympathize with by attending?

I don't know.

You can't ignore the divide the Sox presented, but as with anything else, the answers are way too nuanced to force each player into team honkey or team not-honkey. Then again, that's not what online discussions are good at, and it would be a shame to do so. Sometimes a guy is just proud to go to the White House, sometimes a guy is just proud to make a statement because we can in this country. More power to em all.

Oh, and Bill Lambeer, is a fucking Piston, always will be. Shake yourself.
    I still call it The Jake.

where I was going for the "other factors" is now it seems most everyone gets invited from all kinds of teams - so it's less special especially because everyone posts all about it on social media - and pro-athletes are busier than ever.

no it's not "new" to the Trump era, like many things it's just more widespread. if you look back 8 years and it was the hicks from the sticks declining the White House
    https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...ny-obama-snub/
    for political/nonpolitical reasons.

No I know, it's more complicated and nuanced than it might at first appear, that's what I was trying to get to. The white guys come from a different reality thn the black guys and the Latino guys. They're all doing what they think they should. But, as I said earlier, ballplayers aren't known to be deep thinkers either. Probably best to just shrug and move on to something else.

Except the Laimbeer part. Fuck that guy.

Forever Sox fan and tRUmp makes me physically ill and I still don't have two fucks to rub together. I would like to think I would have passed in this particular time.
    Besides, I will hopefully get to go during the next presidency.

Trump must love hockey.

Winter Olympics, too

MLB Thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    and I didn't come up with this idea because I live in a liberal city, I brought the topic up because I have seen articles on it. Of course the players are all saying the right things publicly, but the articles keep pointing it out. Your second paragraph is a perfectly reasonable answer, and may be correct. You could have said that without taking a shot at me. But whatever, you can keep playing dumb like you didn't know you were taking a shot at me.
    ARs point sounds a lot like there's no problem in the rest of the country because "they don't see color"

Id be surprised at long term animosity if they are winning, but I have a hard time not imagining the players that didn't go not being a bit chafed by white boys that did the opposite of having their backs. But it's Boston.

Im surprised the latest White House misspelling didn't call them the Boston White Red Socks

Get ready for a drought of rings again as free agents of color think back on this one.

You've been calling that one for like 15 years. How's it working out?

Well, better get on it. 24 to go. To just tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Trump must love hockey.

Winter Olympics, too
    Except for the Jamaican Bobsled Team
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Except for the Jamaican Bobsled Team
    John Candy was a saint.
    I still call it The Jake.

Yankees Rays tomorrow
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Get ready for a drought of rings again as free agents of color think back on this one.
    not that it matters to you, but LeBron is a minority owner along with majority owner FSG in Liverpool FC so it's clear at that level they don't give a shit effectively. Unlike other pro franchises.