Carbon shovel shafts...good or bad idea ?

There are a few shovels with carbon shafts showing up. Anyone played with and beat on these yet ? On one hand I am a little concerned about durability...on the other I ride a carbon bike downhill at high speeds with out thinking twice about it. Carbon has proven to be pretty durable stuff but prying and chopping are a bit different loads.

Thoughts-experiences ?

Splinters suck, especially carbon ones. Aluminum fine so far, and keeps cost down.

It's a shovel, after all is said and done.

i

Carbon splinters suck hudge balls.

There keep being good, lightweight aluminum ones... the Mammut Alugator Light is impressively lightweight/burly and all aluminum. I guess the really light Arvas have carbon fiber shafts? Idk. Very happy with my Mammut...

Does anyone have an extendable carbon shaft yet? That's the biggest selling point for me for the brooks, voiles, etc. alu ones.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Does anyone have an extendable carbon shaft yet? That's the biggest selling point for me for the brooks, voiles, etc. alu ones.
    From 2006, yes.

https://backpackinglight.com/komperd...shovel_review/

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Carbon has proven to be pretty durable stuff but prying and chopping are a bit different loads.
    Well, we shouldn't be prying with our shovels, right?

I guess my thought is carbon doesn't like dings and the shaft rides around in the avi tool compartment with a shovel blade and who knows what else, packs get tossed around, dropped, have shit piles on them, and these are things I don't do to my carbon frame bike.

But we put carbon avalanche probes through the same and I wreck on my carbon frame bike off of drops, pick it up and keep going.

Now, the thing I do notice is that burly carbon bikes often save a mere 15% in weight over the Al version of the same model while usually costing a crap ton more. Carbon probes have not cost much more (but have not saved much weight).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.