Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broken vulcan buckle, fixable?

How hard would this be to fix and can anyone point me where to get parts?

Name:  IMG_20180504_103733.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  131.7 KB

If you can get the part it's an easy fix.

http://www.oberalp.com/en/contacts/a.../north-america
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    How hard would this be to fix and can anyone point me where to get parts?
    I've ghetto repaired two with j.b. weld...repairs got me through parts of seasons but eventually busted again. If I were to try again, I'd probably use fiberlass. If U go for new parts through warranty...it was easy and quick a few years ago through the PNWbrit's link for Salewa. Hopefully parts r still available now that the mighty Vulcan's been discontinued but worth tryin'.
    Master of mediocrity.

I could see how one could easily break that buckle just walking sideways down some stairs

there must still be parts out there
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yes, they're available as spares and are listed in Dynafits 17-18 Service Guide (ie spare parts list) and any Dynafit retailer can order them in for you off their B2B portal.

The part numbers are:

Vulcan right cuff buckle set 08-0000068669
    Vulcan left cuff buckle set 08-00000 68670

The US price should be under $15 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yes, they're available as spares and are listed in Dynafits 17-18 Service Guide (ie spare parts list) and any Dynafit retailer can order them in for you off their B2B portal.

The part numbers are:

Vulcan right cuff buckle set 08-0000068669
    Vulcan left cuff buckle set 08-00000 68670

The US price should be under $15 each.
    Ok thanks. I tried Salewa and while they were very helpful, they did not have the part in stock. Is the TLT buckle on skimo the same part?

They look different to me, probably different ratio/leverage, I think you need a real Vulcan buckle

the mercury would be the same

Another option; ime looking for oddball discontinued parts for boots not available through warranty/etc.... is take advantage of unlimited long distance calling plan and basically carpet bomb phone every shop in my home province of B.C. Found some obscure items like dynafit heel riser towers for tristep bindings, tlt tourlite tech toepiece and heelpiece baseplates using that time consuming but successful strategy.

iirc, the early versions of the vulcan/mercury/one buckles were prone to failure/breakage so potentially there are shops out there that have spares kickin' around. I think they changed the design a bit to make em stronger with more articulation and less prone to lateral snag. That improved version might be the ultralock 2.0 version. Maybe XXX'er can chime in?
    Last edited by swissiphic; 07-25-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Yeah I am about to try JB weld because I am having no luck. Really don't want to buy new boots because of a broken buckle, especially since I got these for pretty cheap...

its probably the wrong time of year to be expecting a shop or distributor to carry boot parts

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Yeah I am about to try JB weld because I am having no luck. Really don't want to buy new boots because of a broken buckle, especially since I got these for pretty cheap...
    go for fiberglass instead. or what did xxx'er say in another old thread somewhere; epoxy and polish fiberglass? used drier sheet or something. After being a jb weld guy for a while, found automotive body work fiberglass. I like the tins of short strand stuff. messy and ugly but use a body file to shape it after it cures. still ugly in the end but strong, ime.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    its probably the wrong time of year to be expecting a shop or distributor to carry boot parts
    true but sometimes u get lucky and even though some shops don't have the ski techs workin', the bike guys might sift through the junk parts bins for ya, or the owner who's in tune with his store. worked for me over the years even in 'off season' search for junk ski binding parts.

on that note, wonder if dave at valhalla or whatever his store is now has some old dynafit canada arm buckles kickin' around? could use a spare or two.
    Master of mediocrity.

Hi toastybroski.
    You've got a few options, if Salewa USA is all out.
    First, I'll talk a bit about the part.
    The buckle comes in 2 sizes. One ships on boots up to 28.5 (sold as a "285"). The other ships on boots above 28.5 (sold as a "315"). The only difference between is the cable length, and its minimal at that (3/4" or so?). Since the catch for the cuff buckle can be moved between three positions, you could work with either version on any size boot (however, the "315" might be iffy on a 23-24.5 if the leg+liner volume is low).
    It comes in a left and a right. The only difference is the direction the tab at the tip of the swing arm is facing. So you can use either version on either foot.
    A functionally identical buckle (in varying colors) is used on the following boots: Neo U, Neo PX, Neo Test, One U, One PX, Winter Guide GTX, Mercury TF. Same for men's or women's versions, if applicable. TLT6 buckle looks very similar and would mount, but I don't think that it would function correctly. All other Dynafit buckles I think can be visually told apart.
    It is held in by two 4mm dia rivets, backed by nylon and galv steel washers. So to replace, both rivets have to be drilled, removed, and then the replacement secured by rivet or other means.
    Replacement buckles are sold with rivets and both washers.
    So your options, if Salewa USA is all out:
    - Like swissiphic recommended, start calling and e-mail dealers, armed with the above list of boots and your preferred size (285 or 315) and side but be prepared to accept either. Dynafit has a dealer listing on their website that you can work off of to make a list of e-mails or phone #s. Take part to a shop with a rivet press, or use t-nut and screws (see below).
    - Scour eBay/classifieds/local shop/consignment for one of the above boot models used or on deep clearance. Might be able to score TWO buckles and whatever other parts you can strip for the price. Take to shop that hopefully has 4mm rivets to swap; or drill, save the existing nylon washers, and use t-nut and screws (see below.)
    *Follow this guide for a rivet alternative: https://www.wildsnow.com/4715/dynafi...buckle-repair/ Your Vulcans use the same rivets as this fellows TLT5's in the guide - however I would include the original nylon washers in the sandwich between the T-Nut and the cuff to prevent the carbon fiber from cracking under tension. And use threadlocker!
    Good luck!

I'll add that like XXX-er said, this is probably the worst time of year to track down parts. You may wish to check back in with Salewa in three months or so or whenever they usually replenish. But in any case, cuff buckles were always a high demand item for reasons you now know and the models that use this design for 2019 are dwindling so I would be proactive.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by VI View Post
    Hi toastybroski.
    The buckle comes in 2 sizes. One ships on boots up to 28.5 (sold as a "285"). The other ships on boots above 28.5 (sold as a "315"). The only difference between is the cable length, and its minimal at that (3/4" or so?). Since the catch for the cuff buckle can be moved between three positions, you could work with either version on any size boot (however, the "315" might be iffy on a 23-24.5 if the leg+liner volume is low).
    It comes in a left and a right. The only difference is the direction the tab at the tip of the swing arm is facing. So you can use either version on either foot.
    A functionally identical buckle (in varying colors) is used on the following boots: Neo U, Neo PX, Neo Test, One U, One PX, Winter Guide GTX, Mercury TF. Same for men's or women's versions, if applicable. TLT6 buckle looks very similar and would mount, but I don't think that it would function correctly. All other Dynafit buckles I think can be visually told apart.
    It is held in by two 4mm dia rivets, backed by nylon and galv steel washers. So to replace, both rivets have to be drilled, removed, and then the replacement secured by rivet or other means.
    - Like swissiphic recommended, start calling and e-mail dealers, armed with the above list of boots and your preferred size (285 or 315) and side but be prepared to accept either. Dynafit has a dealer listing on their website that you can work off of to make a list of e-mails or phone #s. Take part to a shop with a rivet press, or use t-nut and screws (see below).
    - Scour eBay/classifieds/local shop/consignment for one of the above boot models used or on deep clearance. Might be able to score TWO buckles and whatever other parts you can strip for the price. Take to shop that hopefully has 4mm rivets to swap; or drill, save the existing nylon washers, and use t-nut and screws (see below.)
    *Follow this guide for a rivet alternative: https://www.wildsnow.com/4715/dynafi...buckle-repair/ Your Vulcans use the same rivets as this fellows TLT5's in the guide - however I would include the original nylon washers in the sandwich between the T-Nut and the cuff to prevent the carbon fiber from cracking under tension. And use threadlocker!
    Good luck!
    Really appreciate the reply. Salewa told me to call back in october. If that doesnt work then I will probably start calling around.

Is this the part I need? I hope so since I just ordered it. I don't remember seeing that a few months ago.

Vulcan Right Cuff Buckle 23-28.5 x1

https://skimo.co/dynafit-boot-parts

That's the one - looks like they stocked up! It will have the new Vulcan color scheme (yellow buckle) but other than that will work perfect.

I just found a spare in my parts bin, if anyone else needs one.

Broke it again, can't find another on skimo? Any ideas? 2 buckles in one season is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by VI View Post
    Hi toastybroski.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the link. I was able to get a local shop to order new buckles for me a year or 2 ago as mine were getting sticky, but kinda drew a blank when it came to trying to find suitable T-nuts, and never went through with the replacement.

Still cannot source this buckle. Anyone have any ideas? Salewa said they are out of it for good and are no longer manufacturing them. I really can't buy new boots to enjoy the rest of Colorado's season.

Will any of the TLT buckles work? Like the TLT speedfit or TLT7?

Thanks!

Vulcan was supposed to have gone " sunset " 3 years ago, the only reason the boot is still around is Dynafit could not get their stool sorted out and failed twice to make a follow-on big boot that didn't suck dead goats

I don't think you will fix that buckle, there must be one out there if you could find it,

a big ski strap might work

I bet a motivated machinist could make his own

curious how you break them cuz i havent broken any on 2 boots, when unlatched I am super aware of that buckle end sticking out wating to be busted

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Vulcan was supposed to have gone " sunset " 3 years ago, the only reason the boot is still around is Dynafit could not get their stool sorted out and failed twice to make a follow-on big boot that didn't suck dead goats

I don't think you will fix that buckle, there must be one out there if you could find it,

a big ski strap might work

I bet a motivated machinist could make his own

curious how you break them cuz i havent broken any on 2 boots, when unlatched I am super aware of that buckle end sticking out wating to be busted
    The first time I broke it I have no clue. I was just downhilling so it was latched all day. When I unlatched it I noticed it was broken in two. The 2nd time I slipped when it was unlatched and it just shattered in the same spot. I am honestly contemplating JB weld.

I think JB weld would be a waste of time not last very long and then you would be stuck out somewhere with a fucked boot

so I was high on the 4th or 5th espresso and I tried this

Name:  vulcanstrap1.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  106.8 KB
    so lookers left boot is closed with a normal buckle on second ladder and lookers right is a big fucking MEC ski strap, I am flexing forward into the boots in fact I am tipped all the way forward with my head leaning against the door if it wasn't there I would be on my head and so I am flexed into the boots with all my weight, the flex is a little softer more progressive but reasonably close to stock

Name:  vulcanstrap2.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  94.2 KB
    here i am showing a little side calf but also how the strap is holding the boot closed

Name:  vulcanstrap3.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  96.7 KB

these MEC brand ski ^^ straps are way fucking bigger/thicker/mo manly than any of the normal straps I have seen and notice that fucking thing is almost 3 ft long

IMO this will work, you could even use 2 which would be a little stiffer, IMO you should order 2 or 3 and do this

ever since I sploded a RAD1 at the top of a run during righteous pow cycle and had to strap the boot to a ski I have always toured with a few straps

note that 1 long strap is NOT long enough to strap a boot to ski so I borrowed one from Lee Lau, he was feeling altruistic that day so I did not receive a bill probably cuz he was already double billing somone else
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-17-2019 at 01:51 PM.

I tried the JB weld fix in the past. Didn't hold for long. I'd speculate that some careful fiberglass work would do the trick though?

I have some spare "other" tlt buckles...dunno what they're from; tlt 5 or 6...maybe 7? I'll include pics. Will report if they work for the Mercuries. Same buckles as Vulcans, afaik. Can't get the Vulcan buckles off without drilling out the rivets.
    Master of mediocrity.