Seeking Mt Mansfield Trail Info

I’m going to be in Burlington next week (Monday) for business and have been trying to do some kind of BC tour on Mansfield for many years but never made it over there at the right times to execute something. I also have limited knowledge of the BC options, as I am an ADK guy mostly.

If some ppl are willing to share, it would be much appreciated. I’m trying to pull something off on Monday the 8th and hoping the weather cooperates. I’m also concerned about the snow pack or lack there of after recent warmup and rains (could anyone provide info on how things are currently looking? Any projection on a week from now?)

I’m exploring two options:

1. Try and skin up resort and hike above gondy to ski back down outside resort and ultimately back to car I park in the lot. (What’s the deal with uphill at Stowe anyways these days? I find it to be a little unclear online ....)

2. Start at underhill state park and do the sunset trail then maybe teardrop ? Is this a thing?

I really don’t care if the skiing is sub par. Mainly looking to just get up to the ridge, drink a beer, and make it back down in a reasonable amount of time to make it back to Burlington in the evening for a work meeting. Just want to find out best route and coverage for this time of season to accomplish this.

Open to other suggestions of course because my two ideas may not be all that great.

Thanks
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The snowpack is there and should be manageable next week. The bottom third might be kinda manky and boney. Option 2 sounds like what you're looking for. Tear drop will get you to the ridge for a look around and on a Monday this time of year it should be quiet. A drive to Underhill for a hike and back to Burlington is a quick half-day. You also wouldn't be dealing with resort traffic on that side which is nice. I doubt Stowe allows much uphill traffic anymore anyway--You could use the long trail from that side.

The easiest way to do Teardrop is to pick it up from the road before the park entrance (can be a little tricky to find the first time). Then it's an out and back straight to the car. Dewey Mtn. is also a nice tour in Underhill. Hike straight up the drainage and the return will funnel you right back to the lot, although the views are a little harder to find there

Thanks for the reply. Is the sunset trail a skinnable/skiable thing or is it just a hiking trail? Could you return on it via ski? Or would you have to walk the ridge and return via Teardrop?

Also, what's it like skinning up via Long Trail off RT 108 on resort side? Is that a common route?
    Last edited by ADKmike; 04-01-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Is the sunset trail a skinnable/skiable thing or is it just a hiking trail?
    It's a hiking trail and if it's booted out and frozen, it's a pretty sketchy hike in Winter.

Ok same for long trail to chin? Not such a great idea to skin up that? I'm thinking maybe you could always bail to cliff trail and back down resort if you detect the ski down through the woods is going to be sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Ok same for long trail to chin? Not such a great idea to skin up that? I'm thinking maybe you could always bail to cliff trail and back down resort if you detect the ski down through the woods is going to be sketchy.
    April 8, you should be fine skinning The LT or Gondi. If you choose LT, cross over to chin clip at 2/3rds height/ obvious spot where every other person from the ski trail enters.

Teardrop, do not do Sunset Ridge, it will not be skinable in a few sections. Follow the obvious skin track after about a 1/2 or so mile from trailhead. It’s obvious in that as you head up suddenly there is a road that breaks off right with so many ski tracks it’s almost groomed.

Bruce trail Stowe side is another option. The X-C center closes on the 7th. You can probably park and skin up from the center, or go in from the toll rd.

There is also Bolton if you find yourself short on time or need a bit more.

OK thanks for the info. Looks like 60 degrees on Monday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1112.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	278203
    Well that worked out pretty well. 4-8-19. Too shitty out to summit but this was sufficient!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums