Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Ok, thanks. The 94s are great skis. Have ~40-ish days on them over 3 seasons. Probably getting 90s as replacement sometime next year.

They float very well for their size and are pretty nimble.

Mounting Ravens for inserts and have a conflict. Dynafit SSL's and kingpins.
    Better to shift forward 1 cm or back 2cm?
    Anyone ridden 1cm ahead of recommended on the 184's (87 from tail)?
    It's still 1.7cm behind the mark on the ski on my whiterooms.

Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    Mounting Ravens for inserts and have a conflict. Dynafit SSL's and kingpins.
    Better to shift forward 1 cm or back 2cm?
    Anyone ridden 1cm ahead of recommended on the 184's (87 from tail)?
    It's still 1.7cm behind the mark on the ski on my whiterooms.
    One set of inserts already in the ski? Which one?

If it's just the heel that has a conflict you could skip the the SSL toe and use Kingpin toe + SSL heel instead. No idea if it would release the same way though.

I have never skied the Ravens, but prefer 1cm back from the recommended line over 1cm forward on my 187 Hojis.

Read this if you haven't: http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too

Kingpin already drilled for 86cm.
    1 forward of current might not be too bad since the bsl for my lighter boots is a little shorter too (287mm).

Yeah, I guess if the Kingpins are already at -1.7 then -.7 with a shorter BSL would be best. You'll almost certainly notice the different boots more than the different binding location.

The -1.7 is from the mark on the ski at 88 from the tail. They're whiterooms so the early shape

anyone know if the new ravens/hojis are still made in SLC, or is the whole line out of country now? was thinking about finally getting some 184 ravens but I might search for an older vintage... can anyone school me on the differences in versions across the years? I loved that brown wooden topsheet the most, but this year's looks nice too...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    anyone know if the new ravens/hojis are still made in SLC, or is the whole line out of country now? was thinking about finally getting some 184 ravens but I might search for an older vintage... can anyone school me on the differences in versions across the years? I loved that brown wooden topsheet the most, but this year's looks nice too...
    From here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...48#post5408948
    We did move production of all the Whiteroom skis to Utopie in Canada purely because our small facility in Salt Lake could not produce the amount of demand we had for those models. We had the whole crew up on Mt. Hood this summer, and all of us, Eric and Thayne especially, were beyond stoked with both the build quality and performance of the skis out of Canada. Eric is naturally hyped to see "made in Canada" written on his skis.

We are investing more into the Whiteroom this season. We are utilizing it as a straight up prototyping facility. If an athlete has an idea, we build and put it to snow in 2 weeks. Having this facility be dialed in for only this purpose will allow us to test future technology and shapes that will continue and progress freeride skiing.

Lets begin with the Renegade. Eric has been working to reshape this ski for the past 2 years, so this development and change was quite literally taking shape well before JLev got involved. As you all know the Renegade is pretty much Eric's everyday ski, the fortunes of skiing fresh powder day in day out. He wanted his personal ski to run at a 184 cm, and we weren't about to do a 10 cm size difference, so thats how we landed at a 191 cm for the longer length. Eric was also looking for the ski to perform better a lower speeds, hence the reason to cut the radius down to 30 m, this helps bring this ski more in line with the rest of his series. They will all feel similar, now your choice can be somewhat based on how much and deep of powder you plan on being in.

As for the Raven, there has been no major design changes to this ski from the previous year. Since we had to make new molds with Utopie we took the opportunity to again dial in the size range of this ski.
    The 16/17 and 17/18 have a single radius. Earlier models have a dual-compound radius. I understand those earlier models didn't ski quite as well as the 16/17, 17/18. There's info somewhere in this thread on that.

I know nothing about the 18/19 model...but perhaps you're better at deciphering marketing speak than me. That last sentence on the Raven...suggests there are "no major design changes" but then goes right and says they changed the profile. Dunno what that means...but the thread I linked above has more info.
    sproing!

The 2019 Raven has super high tips and tails for an all mountain touring ski ...

For me the 16/17/18 is the best version.

You can also look at the BMT 109 for a light reverse camber touring ski.

The Hoji didn't changed as much as the Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    From here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...48#post5408948

The 16/17 and 17/18 have a single radius. Earlier models have a dual-compound radius. I understand those earlier models didn't ski quite as well as the 16/17, 17/18. There's info somewhere in this thread on that.

I know nothing about the 18/19 model...but perhaps you're better at deciphering marketing speak than me. That last sentence on the Raven...suggests there are "no major design changes" but then goes right and says they changed the profile. Dunno what that means...but the thread I linked above has more info.
    interesting, thanks. lot more tip/tail splay it seems, which seems less good to me but I'm not a ski designer...

MW, here's more specific info on year-by-year changes on the Raven. http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...18-4frnt-raven
    sproing!

Hoji's continue to be made by Elan in Slovenia so they wouldn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Hoji's continue to be made by Elan in Slovenia so they wouldn't change.
    looks like in the other thread the 4FRNT_SKIS account was saying they're made in Utopie, CA? for some reason I thought previously the Hojis and Ravens were made in SLC

The White Room skis were the Ren, Raven, and InThayne. Maybe others, but those were the important ones. Those are now made in Utopie per the Brand guy.

Pretty sure JRainey is right about the Hojis. I think their other skis are/were made by Elan too.
    sproing!

^ interesting, didn't know that. thanks

Can anyone comment on the Raven in firmer off trail conditions (think alps or eastern us)? Not sure about the flat camber vs. one of the black crows free bird designs or moment touring core options.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    The White Room skis were the Ren, Raven, and InThayne. Maybe others, but those were the important ones. Those are now made in Utopie per the Brand guy.

Pretty sure JRainey is right about the Hojis. I think their other skis are/were made by Elan too.
    From the recent 4FRNT Instagram photos - this year Hojis are also made in Utopie manufacture.Name:  Screenshot_20181018-235632_Instagram.jpeg
Views: 1521
Size:  50.1 KB

Sent from my SM-A520F using TGR Forums mobile app

Could those be ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Could those be ravens?
    You are right, those are ravens.
    "Hojis are unchanged for this year and made in Slovenia" (4frnt rep confirmed).

Getting a pair of 184 ravens from a buddy, wondering about what mount location I should go for.

Love the Bibby's at -6, because I can ski both from neutral and drive the tips. Will the raven feel similar at -6 (recommended)? Or better move back a bit?

Looking for input from mags who've skied both.

Sent from my DRA-LX3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I have the 190 Bibby and the 184 Ravens both on the line but just really tour with the Ravens or screw around on smaller hills from time to time... They seem really easy going to me.

Raven has zero camber so back a touch would be fine IMO. One of the lighter skis I've cared to own. They perform very well in most conditions I've experienced with them.

I'm 175lbs, 6'2" if that helps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback bry.

Do you like them at -6 or would you mount back -1 if you could do it over again?

And at -6, can you drive the shovels too, as on the Bibby? Or is it a lot more centered skiing at that position? I ideally would like to be able to do both!

Check this from Hoji himself: http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too

I went back 1.5 cm on 184 Ravens. On 190 Bibbys on the line, and love those there. Still not sure I like the Raven period, but glad I mounted where I did.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bredey View Post
    Thanks for the feedback bry.

Do you like them at -6 or would you mount back -1 if you could do it over again?

And at -6, can you drive the shovels too, as on the Bibby? Or is it a lot more centered skiing at that position? I ideally would like to be able to do both!

I've never wished I'd mounted them back but honestly I don't drive them too hard when I take them out.

Based on your wants and that Hoji post MM shared, I think if you mounted them on the line you might always wonder "what if" if not have outright regret.

But if you go back you'll likely be more thankful and not get stuck in that mindfuck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mounted the 190 Ravens -1.5 cm from recommended as I'm a bigger dude (6'1" 220lbs). Love the Ravens float, feel, turn initiation, and smooth stability in soft snow. Never think about mounting any differently.