Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Watched two go down over the past five years. I miss both.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    but i'm here to tell ya theres...somethin else...

but to the subject matter was a party smoker in college then a closet smoker for a long time. never more than 1/2 pack but def. hooked.
    think 2009 was the last one. Marlboro lights. Always. they kinda make me sick now to even think about. seriously.
    Cocoa Puff.

Well I was back on the wagon for a couple years, now day 2 of not smoking. Going with some performance enhancers this go round with the patch. It does seem to take the edge off.

I didn't break any copiers this time, so far so good.
    Live Free or Die

Quitting Smoking: How long does this suck?

Day 6. 144 hours. Probably my tenth time quitting. Pretty resolved this time around having recently turned the 40 and all(tgr kids are old fucks). I really don’t want to wait to have the stroke to quit, and I sure get a lot done without cigarettes between my fingers.

When I was in Jail for 2 months It was not too bad.. I knew I was not going to get a cig no how no way. - Candy Bars were important.
    When I got out after 60 something days without. First place I went was the 7-11 down the street for a pack of smokes. "IT WAS AWESOME" I have some stage one patches sitting here. I really need to quit. = Maybe after this carton runs out?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

if you dont quit now yull be one year older when you do.
    watch out for snakes

you gotta stay young if you want to get old
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You know what sucks? Lung cancer. Or most any cancer, really. But lung cancer is still pretty much a death sentence these days. You getting cancer totally sucks, but watching your friends die well before their time from cancer sucks a whole lot, too. It's a miserable, long death, too.
    The smell of cigarette smoke sucks a whole lot. You can't smell it right now, because you've numbed your sense of smell by smoking. Dont worry, that sense will return fairly quickly once you stop. But, right now, you walk around grossing out non smokers and even ex smokers with the smell of cigarette smoke all about you. Furgetabout your car and home. This is why non smoking women don't want to be near you. Increase your chances of getting laid, and stop. Did you nervously burn a few Marlboros before that big interview in a small office? Unemployment sucks, too. Most companies dont want to hire someone who needs constant breaks outside in the smoker's pen and will probably run up their health insurance costs. (This also applies to the new, legal marijuana smoker, who can smell like a road kill skunk at times, but, that's another matter)

Good luck. Stop now. Smoking sucks.

A women that worked for me couldn't quit and at 52 she was diagnosed with lung cancer. Then she quit immediately..."it was so easy! Why didn't I quit earlier!"

She died a year later.

It's totally worth smoking butts bros.

Still smoke free a year and a half later, you can do it man.
    Live Free or Die

Good and continued luck for those working on this.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

15 months of no ciggies here. Still sucks sometimes. I still love how they smell (can smell em sitting in traffic! lol) and it gives me a short lived craving. I had 2 drags off BILs on vacation in July and they were awful and I was very glad.

I got to a point were I would hiccup almost every time I would take a drag but it was still a ball and chain. Shaming myself for being 38 and having had at least one cigarette everyday for 24 years helped. My breaking point was leaving a pack I just opened and had one out of on my picnic table under the deck. Came out 1/2 hour later with a beer and it was raining. $7.75 down the drain. Made me so mad, that was the last one.

I never did the patch or gum because my thinking was that keeping the nicotine in my system would keep me craving it. Those first three days getting the nicotine out of my system weren't too bad. The next three months was a nightmare. I just kept repeating a mantra of "people are getting rich by you paying them to slowly kill you". That mantra and the realization that nicotine wasn't the stress reliever at work or social situations, it was removing myself from work or the social situation for 5 minutes that was the stress reliever.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to quit or thinking about trying to quit.

Funny, just the other day I was thinking about how it used to be - people smoked everywhere and no one ever thought twice about non-smokers.

They smoked in restaurants, offices, hospitals, movie theaters, stores, on airplanes (LOL! @ the idea of a non-smoking section in an airplane), employees smoked while they worked, etc. etc. I remember the lunchroom of a law office I worked at in the 80s that was so full of smokers that there was a haze in the room. Now you can hardly smoke outside. Nice.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

It's kinda amazing to me that people smoke at all, considering how hard it is outside their homes and the incredible cost, but, a lot do. Very addictive drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It's kinda amazing to me that people smoke at all, considering how hard it is outside their homes and the incredible cost, but, a lot do. Very addictive drug.
    There was one thing I really loved about smoking (as I only smoked in these modern, kick their ass outside times), was that you were considered pretty much useless the entire time you were actually smoking. I got to take a nice little stroll outside, no one bothering me, it was glorious.

Looking back on it, I think I was addicted to the act of smoking just as much as the physical effects. I actually still like hanging out with the smokers on jobs just for the whole shoot the shit element of it and the smell doesn't bother me.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Looking back on it, I think I was addicted to the act of smoking just as much as the physical effects. I actually still like hanging out with the smokers on jobs just for the whole shoot the shit element of it and the smell doesn't bother me.
    at an old job, I used to go out with the smokers for their smoke breaks for the same reason. They'd occasionally give me shit about it and I'd pantomime smoking just so I fit in.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I get a lot done around the house due to my addiction. I have never smoked inside my houses, even when living alone. When I need to feed my addiction, I make myself do some outside task that needs doing. Probably not the ideal way to get chores done, but my yard looks really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I get a lot done around the house due to my addiction. I have never smoked inside my houses, even when living alone. When I need to feed my addiction, I make myself do some outside task that needs doing. Probably not the ideal way to get chores done, but my yard looks really nice.
    You're really going there? That's fucked up man.

if you really want to quit, get the Easy Way to Stop Smoking audiobook by Allen Carr. Put on some headphones, and listen to the whole damn book while smoking cigarettes like he tells you to. When the book is over, you will be done.

I smoked two packs a day for 10 years. I tried for 3 years to quit every possible way you can think of. Tapering, cold turkey, patch, nicotine gum, vaping, etc etc etc. Nothing worked. I listened to that book, and I was done, that day, and have never even had a single craving since then. No white knuckling through withdrawals, nothing. I haven't touched a cigarette or even thought about wanting one in almost 3 years now.

I have given this advice to a lot of people. Many of my closest friends quit this way. Random people I've met in daily life quit with it. This girl that works at a tattoo shop I went to quit with it. I randomly saw her a few months later on the street and she ran up and said the book changed her life. The only people I've told about the book that is HASN'T worked for, are people that either didn't try it, or didn't listen to the whole book, or didn't follow the directions in the book.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'd pantomime smoking just so I fit in.
    how'd that work out?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    You're really going there? That's fucked up man.
    Not sure what's so fucked up about it. If he's gonna go outside and smoke he also makes himself do a chore. Seems pretty practical compared to just standing there smoking.

I smoked for a really long fucking time. I haven't smoked a cigarette in about 4 years I guess. I do hit a juul, I'm a stone cold nicotine junkie and it's harm reduction and it has worked fine for me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Not sure what's so fucked up about it. If he's gonna go outside and smoke he also makes himself do a chore. Seems pretty practical compared to just standing there smoking.

I smoked for a really long fucking time. I haven't smoked a cigarette in about 4 years I guess. I do hit a juul, I'm a stone cold nicotine junkie and it's harm reduction and it has worked fine for me for that.
    Justifying a vice that's going to kill you and devastate loved ones by saying you clean shit up in the yard is fucked up. Pretty simple.

Cigarette smoking is an incredibly selfish thing man. If you're a loner and have no family then have at it. Only the nurses and docs with no connection have to deal with you. Otherwise when your loved ones are left dealing with your cancer ridden body and mind, both physically and mentally, the drain is devastating...and all so you can have that butt out in the yard.

Took me about 6 tries to quit over about 3-4 years.

Have not smoked cigarettes since 1989

Stay at it.
    watch out for snakes

Name:  277625d1578449712-funny-pics-part-duece-dgc9aqt.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  82.2 KB

Look who stopped smoking
    watch out for snakes

Best advice I got from the shrink who ran the group therapy thing that succeeded in getting me to quit 30 years ago, was, you can never smoke another cigarette. Dont fuck with that thing. And, after all this time, I still could enjoy a fresh Marlboro. But I won't.