Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    My wife heard on the radio this morning (who knows if this is true) that she was still in the hospital in serious condition.

Seems to have been a curious lack of information in the news. I guess no one in the family is talking to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post
    My wife heard on the radio this morning (who knows if this is true) that she was still in the hospital in serious condition.

Seems to have been a curious lack of information in the news. I guess no one in the family is talking to anyone.
    Sure they are, they're talking to Alta's lawyers.

Probably true

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Sure they are, they're talking to Alta's lawyers.
    As for this accident causing the Ski World to change the rules.

FUCK THAT!

Little kids havwe been riding Chair lifts for 50 years. and accidents Almost NEVER happen.

OMG how did we survive the past 50 years without safty bars and such?

I remember Riding KT-22 when I was 10. that was a scarry Ride back then. (But it did have a safty bar)

Rode Chairs lifts with my friends unsupervised from 7 years old on @ Incline and Homewood. Never had an issue.

When your asked to ride with the little bitty kids You have to pay attention!!

Vibes to little girl and her family.

And I fell very sorry for whomever was riding the Chair with the little one when she fell.

MAN! that has to Suck being the person who let? that happen

^^^MTT, dude, i hope you're as good at jumping on skis as you are to conclusions!

Actually hutch, i hope they are talking to THEIR attorneys at this point.

And at this point, i just hope she pulls thru this ok...+++c'mon lil ripper+++
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    ^^^MTT, dude, i hope you're as good at jumping on skis as you are to conclusions!

Actually hutch, i hope they are talking to THEIR attorneys at this point.

And at this point, i just hope she pulls thru this ok...+++c'mon lil ripper+++
    Of cource we all wish the little girl a speedy recovery.

as for the rest of it. what the hell are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Of cource we all wish the little girl a speedy recovery.

as for the rest of it. what the hell are you talking about?
    your leap from hutch's mentioning that they are likely consulting attorneys, to your 'this accident causing the ski world to change the rules'. One step at a time perhaps???
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

I don't think that they're talking to Alta's lawyers, and I HOPE that they're not talking to theirs....or Sigfried & Jenson.....or the hacks that advertise here.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

your leap from hutch's mentioning that they are likely consulting attorneys, to your 'this accident causing the ski world to change the rules'. One step at a time perhaps???
    OK I see where you are coming from.

My post was more a reaction to all the (Things have to be Different) posts I have seen the past few days. A broader commentary on all I have read not just the post I quoted.

You know there are attorneys involved at this point.

Bottom line. Just because something bad happened does not mean that equipment or rules have to be changed.

It’s kind of a freak thing that happened. If you really want your 5 year old to be risk free (Don't take them skiing at all)
    On the chair was probably the safest that little girl would be anywhere @ Alta, including the parking lot

I hope they're talking to doctors and nurses, not lawyers.

people fall off lifts more often then you might think, It wont change the industry.

settlement will be paid out by Alta's insurance Co.

there probably should be bars on Begginer lifts tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

This truly sucks! If the family is in need of any help they should feel free to just ask. BEST WISHES +++ VIBES.
    "I, the undersigned,
    shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein
    and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis
    incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis
    punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear
    as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
    into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized,
    so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

I was 3 chairs ahead on Saturday afternoon when this happened, and my buddy was on the chair behind and made the 911 call. We were with her mother during the rescue. In short, the little girl twisted around to talk to her brother, which straightened her body out and she slipped off forward.

She dropped at tower #3, about 40-50ft into the creek. The angled snow and bushes are probably what saved her. The ski patrol had to walk in to reach her. Snowmobile and snow cat couldn't get in there. We were there until the helicopter lifted her out.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    KSL's posters make TGR's all appear to be ivy leaguers. The Poli-asses are close, but are still a shy comparison from the stupid over there.
    You sir, have the boorish manners of a Yalie!
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

So it sounds like she fell into the snake pit. A bar would have prevented or at least gave the girl a chance to catch herself. Both the parent and Alta dropped the ball on this one. There is no good reason why that beginner lift shouldn't have a safety bar.

Here's the way I see it. Like it or not. When a ski resort offers a "free after 3" ski program aimed at beginners I think they do have SOME responsibility to ensure their guest's safety riding their equipment. Obviously, the ultimate responsibility comes down to the parent. It now becomes quite obvious they should have a safety bar on that lift.

And I have no idea how experienced the girl and her family are. Poor little girl... I feel so bad for her. I hope she's ok. This exact thing was always one of my greatest fears while riding that lift when my boys were younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Hoar View Post
    It now becomes quite obvious they should have a safety bar on that lift.
    See, now i've got to call BS on that. This is where i agree with MTT. A gondola would be obviously even safer than a bar. So obviously that is what should be there, not a chairlift, right?

No. There are inherent risks in a lot of adventure sports, whether on the way up or down. While the industry should strive to study collective accident reports, learn and act from them, and create a culture of safety within their employees, every accident should NOT result in some knee-jerk reaction that would have 'fixed' that incident.

I recall seeing statistics suggesting that, other than getting on and off, most chairlift accidents are related to the act of reaching up to pull down a safety bar.

See, now i've got to call BS on that. This is where i agree with MTT. A gondola would be obviously even safer than a bar. So obviously that is what should be there, not a chairlift, right?

No. There are inherent risks in a lot of adventure sports, whether on the way up or down. While the industry should strive to study collective accident reports, learn and act from them, and create a culture of safety within their employees, every accident should NOT result in some knee-jerk reaction that would have 'fixed' that incident.
    Ya, I know what you are saying. But I think you're over exaggerating. It's just a simple little safety bar that occasionally bonks someone on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I was 3 chairs ahead on Saturday afternoon when this happened, and my buddy was on the chair behind and made the 911 call. We were with her mother during the rescue. In short, the little girl twisted around to talk to her brother, which straightened her body out and she slipped off forward.

She dropped at tower #3, about 40-50ft into the creek. The angled snow and bushes are probably what saved her. The ski patrol had to walk in to reach her. Snowmobile and snow cat couldn't get in there. We were there until the helicopter lifted her out.
    Bunyip-You are the man or gal !!!!!!!!!
    ++++++++++++vibes+++++++++++ for the little one.

c'mon Tye,
    you can't sit there and say that putting a safety bar on a beginner lift is a bad idea? can you?

5 year old beginners...50ft up...on snow covered chairs?

I know everyone is to "core" for bars out west. ...It's state law back east.

but why not have an option to use a bar, exp for children, why not? what's the damage?

as I see it there is more damage to this young girl, then hurting our egos

It would cost Alta maybe several grand to put on some cheap bars, gonna cost them more then that now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Ya, I know what you are saying. But I think you're over exaggerating. It's just a simple little safety bar that occasionally bonks someone on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    c'mon Tye,
    you can't sit there and say that putting a safety bar on a beginner lift is a bad idea? can you?
    No. Actually i am a big fan of safety bars. [had a near-death fall that...kinda wigged me out on heights]. Big fan. Bigger fan when they have footbars.

But my only point is that knee jerk reactions typically suck. They address what is the most obvious, without 'peeling the onion' to figure out the best approach to managing that risk.

Maybe i'm still a little prickly after watching WY OSHA fine JHMR for not having a helmet policy when we lost K.Miller last spring, which now led to a 'helmet policy'. It's even money, at best, if a helmet would have helped her, in that case. But now we have a policy. And maybe, i do not know, but maybe did not dig right down to the core to other actions that could help keep the next JHMR 'troller a bit safer.

I fuckin hate ski injuries. All injuries for that matter. But a step back and the wisdom of time typically lead to better improvements.

Poles across the lap work well, but I wish they had the kid fartbags and harnesses with the handle in back when mine were little. The legs of kids that age are just too short to get back into the chair pocket. More than once I had to haul mine back up from a dangling position by the collar of their parka. Just one little squirm while you are reaching into your jacket, or the chair stops suddenly, and

vibes to the little maggette

Edit - 4 year-old girls can slide out thru a safety bar. Retrieval is a lot more complicated too

Grown-Ups

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    If you really want your 5 year old to be risk free, don't take them skiing at all
    WERD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    I recall seeing statistics suggesting that, other than getting on and off, most chairlift accidents are related to the act of reaching up to pull down a safety bar.
    Too True!

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

So it sounds like she fell into the snake pit. A bar would have prevented or at least gave the girl a chance to catch herself. Both the parent and Alta dropped the ball on this one. There is no good reason why that beginner lift shouldn't have a safety bar.

Here's the way I see it. Like it or not. When a ski resort offers a "free after 3" ski program aimed at beginners I think they do have SOME responsibility to ensure their guest's safety riding their equipment. Obviously, the ultimate responsibility comes down to the parent. It now becomes quite obvious they should have a safety bar on that lift.

And I have no idea how experienced the girl and her family are. Poor little girl... I feel so bad for her. I hope she's ok. This exact thing was always one of my greatest fears while riding that lift when my boys were younger.
    She did not fall into snake pit. It was before it quite a bit. If she slipped while turned around and was a 4 year old...I dont see a safety bar coming to the rescue.

thanks for posting bunyip - always good to have facts.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Good on you. Also, another good reason to have ski patrol's direct number in your phone. Time can be precious, and going through 911 can take awhile. Hope she pulls through. Every time I take a ski schooler on a lift, I'm absolutely paranoid.