Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rage Against the Machine reunion show

So Rage is getting together for a show at Coachella, they're headlining the third night. I about shat myself when I saw that this afternoon, wish I had the money to make it down there... damn education!

Don't believe me? Look here:

http://www.coachella.com/

http://www.ratm.com/

that looks awesome, damn, when is she?
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Quote Originally Posted by lax View Post
    that looks awesome, damn, when is she?
    April 29th

Sweet. Saw Rage in '96, and they blew the roof off the place. Talkin' 'bout a high energy show!

Some other good acts in the lineup too. Went to Coachella last year and had a blast. Fun experience.

I for one cannot fucking wait.
    We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Wow!! Maybe the other three will realize how much Audioslave sucks and get the band back together. And than maybe Chris Cornell and the boys can find a new drummer and get Soundgarden back together. And than maybe new music can begin to stop sucking.

Quote Originally Posted by the Mad View Post
    Wow!! Maybe the other three will realize how much Audioslave sucks and get the band back together. And than maybe Chris Cornell and the boys can find a new drummer and get Soundgarden back together. And than maybe new music can begin to stop sucking.
    Agreed on both counts.

I thought Zack DeLaRocha was executed by the CIA in Bolivia a few years back. Musta just been a rumor...

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I thought Zack DeLaRocha was executed by the CIA in Bolivia a few years back. Musta just been a rumor...
    Zack probably started it just to be more like Che.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

RATM was awesome. But now Morello and the other two will be forever tainted by the suck that is Audioslave.

I hope they don't get back together permanently. But if there is any hope it is that De La Rocha will knock some sense back into the other three.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Holy shit. I must go.

i fucking looooooooooooooooove rage!
    Last edited by adam; 01-24-2007 at 09:58 PM.

so did anyone end up going? if so how was ratm?

sledneckripper Guest
    Listen for yourself here....

vietnow.org

scroll down a little and download the first 7 tracks played on sunday night.

I don't get RATM. They expouse the greatness of communism, yet thier first album featured a photo of a Buddhist monk immolating himself in protest of communist oppression. What - is thier reunion album gonna be called "George Bush is a Great Guy"? I guess far-left extremist rap-metallers don't have to make sense as long as they wear Che shirts and the kidz dig it.

No Jer clearly you don't get it. Rage against the Machine. Che was fighting the machine. The buddhist monk was fighting the machine in his part of the world (even though it was communism).

I hate kids who wear che shirts, I automatically hate them before I've even met them.
    The music rocks. Hopefully it still does after all these years.

I don't get RATM. They expouse the greatness of communism, yet thier first album featured a photo of a Buddhist monk immolating himself in protest of communist oppression. What - is thier reunion album gonna be called "George Bush is a Great Guy"? I guess far-left extremist rap-metallers don't have to make sense as long as they wear Che shirts and the kidz dig it.
    Some people just like the music.

Note to self:

No Che Shirts.

Could I at least wear a t-shirt that says.

Ayatollah - assahola

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Some people just like the music.
    See - that's the thing. I really liked RATM's first album when it came out - the grooves were ultra-heavy and I actually really like the passionate way Zach spits out the lyrics. I still probably remember how to play all the guitar and bass parts. However, most of the lyrics themselves are just laughable. A long time ago I read some interviews with Zach and Tom Morello and found them equally laughable. Using an image that is a hard-core protest of what you stand for on your album cover seems extremely contradictory. Oh well, guess I'll just appreciate the rythm section. I really like Richard Wagner's music (anti-semite) and Burzum (neo-nazi nutjob), so I know it's possible to appreciate someone's art regardless of their philosophy or politics. I do fail to see how Che Guevara was "raging against the machine" by killing hundreds of innocent people, though.

RATM on Sony BMG records. If you are going to "rage" start your own label and stay independant like Fugazi so the message has meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    RATM on Sony BMG records. If you are going to "rage" start your own label and stay independant like Fugazi so the message has meaning.
    Well, yeah - then there's that. They pretty much became "the machine" when they signed the contract. Again - great music but it's hard to take them seriously when they constantly contradict themselves. I suppose 100% of the profits from thier reunion will go to the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Using an image that is a hard-core protest of what you stand for on your album cover seems extremely contradictory.
    There's a difference between the idea of pure communism that Rage stands for and communism practiced by China. Wheather pure communism works is another debate entirely, but I did not see any contradition in that album cover. That cover was more about promoting Tibetan freedom.
    As for starting their own label like Fugazi, read what they have to say about that:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/rage/articles/cdnow.htm
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Meh - more of the same. They say that rich white kids are the ones who are critisizing them - funny thing is most of their audience are affluent white males going through a "rebellion" phase in their lives. They and thier fans are hard to take seriously. They want to be really popular so thier "message" gets out to the maximum number of people - I guess the question is how much are they willing to dilute thier "message" and compromise thier art to achieve a (justifiable?) end? I don't agree with a lot of Fugazi's "message", but I can respect them because they don't come off as complete hypocrits.

^

I don't think they've ever diluted their message or compromised their art. They're trying to get their message out to the most people possible. I don't see any problem with what they're doing. They're doing more for what they believe than 99% of the bands out there. While affluent white males may be the majority of their audience in the US, they also have a huge following in latin america. If they can turn even a few rich white kids on to politics, more power to them.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Bottom line, they rock...

Communism in concept isn't all that bad

Anyone go to Coachella this year? If so, how was Rage?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Communism in concept isn't all that bad
    Neither is democracy.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

Yet both seem to fall apart. At least democracy seems to have a little longer shelf-life. Damn humans...