Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    There are socks thinner than smart wool thin - I have a couple pair from le feet lab in winter park that are like pantyhose almost. Try a pair of ones like that before getting any work done. You’ll be glad you did after you have 30 days in the boots and they’ve packed out a bit - then you can go back to the smart wool socks
    Forget "pantyhose almost" and go to the lady's underwear aisle at Target and buy some lady's nylon kneesocks. The kind that are made of the same ultra thin ultra slippery nylon as pantyhose.

I've worn those in brand new boots in the past. They're nice and slippery so you can get your foot in and out and they have essentially zero thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    #1: does your bare foot touch both sides of the plastic shell without the liner in the shell?
    Do this with a 2mm shim and your footbed in the boot to get an accurate notion of forefoot width where your foot will actually be in the shell. Ski boot shells typically taper in toward the sole.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    . . .There are socks thinner than smart wool thin . . .
    Smartwool "Thin" isn't all that thin. They (and Darn Tough, my personal fave) make an "Ultra Thin" as well - Smartwool calls theirs "Ultra Thin Cushion" while Darn Tough calls theirs "RFL." Personally I would ski in one of these all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Do this with a 2mm shim and your footbed in the boot to get an accurate notion of forefoot width where your foot will actually be in the shell. Ski boot shells typically taper in toward the sole.
    yes, good point.

OP: if you don’t have a 2mm shim, slightly hovering over your footbed should work alright, IME
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Just shellfit with the footbed. Your foot will be close enough to where it will be with a 1mm thick liner under it, and will be stabilized similar to how you’re skiing.

Keep in mind, everyone’s idea of a good fit is different. I run my alpine shell comfortably touching both sides of my foot. Add the liner and I have ample fit compression. Yeah, my feet are cold but they ski great. I hope to add heaters this winter. I fit crossover boots slightly wider, and AT boots even more relaxed in the forefoot.

Been wearing them every night using dress socks. Seem to be WAY better in those. Was using Smartwool ski socks. Give em hell this weekend and try to try some things like unbuckling them on lift, pulling footbeds, etc.