Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me ditch my Comcast modem

What do you guys recommend for a router and modem to replace the Comcast box? We have metal studs in our condo and our master bedroom is 20 feet away from our downstairs network's range. We tried an extender but that barely does anything.

If running wire isn't an option you could try power line adapters.

Do you already have 802.11ac with dual band? If not, call Comcast and get them to upgrade you. Then use 5GHz (or wired ethernet) for devices close to the modem, 2.4GHz for anything far away. 2.4GHz is more congested but has better range, so this way you're freeing up that frequency for the devices that need it. Also look at switching non-wifi devices like cordless phones that may use the same frequency.

If you don't want to keep renting from Comcast I like this guy:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGT2JI6

There are some nice 802.11AC routers on the cheap. Whether it makes sense for you depends if you pay for the fast interwebz or not. Our town is integrating fiber so be damn sure I'm ready. Streaming all the things.

I run the Powerline 1000 from Netgear, however for a different reason.. I am sensitive to EMF's

Guy at Staples was clueless to why I was doing this. Basically plug the powerline into a wall outlet. One end of the cable from the modem gets plugged into the Powerline. Then whatever other room you are looking to have ethernet to plug the 2nd Powerline unit into the wall, ethernet from plug to the back of your computer.

I have not noticed a drop in speed which is nice. I do like not being zapped by wireless 24-7 (at least while I am at home) - I took it a step father and got a plug in mouse, keyboard and even ditched my fancy wireless weather thing for a $1 outdoor t-stat.

sling tv vs playstation vue?

anyone using these services?

Not much Comcast in the area I service, but does Comcast allow you to purchase your own Modem- most companies do? If so then go to a store and purchase a Netgear, Motorola or Arris cable modem that is on the Comcast approved listing of devices- Docsis 3.0 devices. Check your bill there probably is a charge for modem rental as much as $10 a month and a modem pays for itself in 6 to 9 months usually.

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2014/...ast-heres-how/

I also would state that you want a modem ONLY- not any all in one router and modem. Then you can get a good AC1200 or better a higher AC1900 router with 3 or more external antennas to install along side the modem. Once that is done, then do a signal test in the other rooms and see if you have a strong enough coverage now. If you still do not with the new router, then power line extender or a Wifi Extender device maybe the next step. The Powerline devices use the house AC electric lines to transmit. The Wifi Extenders are usually put part way between the area that has no signal and the router. It increases the coverage distance. Something like these brands: TP-Link (I use one of these at home), Netgear, or Trendnet.

https://www.repeaterstore.com/pages/...er-differences

Help me ditch my Comcast modem

Yeah, you can use your own modem with comcast. I do that. Same one for the last 6 years (x 12 x 10 is a lot of money)

bump as my 2012 modem appears to be taking a shit. I currently have a separate router, dual channel 2.5/5g. I'm thinking I should keep that and get a new modem? or should I go all in one? anyone with recent real-world knowledge?

I have Comcast "blast pro" level internet service.

specific suggestions welcome. need to be comcast approved etc.

thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    I am sensitive to EMF's
    Of course you are.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    bump as my 2012 modem appears to be taking a shit. I currently have a separate router, dual channel 2.5/5g. I'm thinking I should keep that and get a new modem? or should I go all in one? anyone with recent real-world knowledge?

I have Comcast "blast pro" level internet service.

specific suggestions welcome. need to be comcast approved etc.

thanks.
    You do not state the speed of your Router (Dual Band- but Dual Band N 300, 450 etc.) or new enough to be a Dual Band AC router (AC 1200, 1750, 1900 etc.)

I still like separate devices for the reason of now 6 years later your modem is not keeping up, but your router possibly could be just fine. If your speed of internet is higher than 100 mbps then probably want a higher end modem that is rated for the higher speeds. There are a few modems out there also that are not getting very good reviews, so spend at least a bit of time on the approved modem list for you cable company and google a few models you are considering.

How old is your router? How much do you care about bandwidth? If it isn't 802.11ac it's probably worth replacing with one that is, the new ones are a lot faster (particularly at 5GHz).

If you don't care about bandwidth that much (e.g. you're happy with the 2012 setup) then you can save some money and downgrade your service. Blast Pro is up to 250Mb/s now (burst performance) at least in my area.

All in ones are convenient (I have a Motorola MG7550) but they limit your router options, particularly if range is a concern (e.g. the built-in wifi won't support mesh). You can always add a separate router later if you want.

Specs rattle me so not sure what they are but this is my router: https://www.netgear.com/home/product...ers/R6300.aspx

modem is Motorola Surfboard SB 6121 this one I think: http://arris.force.com/consumers/Con...and%20Gateways

I would like to take full advantage of the high speed pipe and recent speed test showed 120mbps DL speed so probably not doing so at this time.

There is sometimes high bandwidth demand in the house with two Things streaming, gaming, etc., several TV's, phones, tablets, computers on the wifi system so probably would like to take advantage of whatever bandwidth is available.

Better range would be helpful as there's one part of the house that I've been using a range/network extender on for some time. I do somewhat dread a new setup process as it never seems to me as simple as one might like it to be.

What specs should I be looking for in devices to be at the front edge of available technology? Are there 'must have' features? Are there 'don't bother or spend the extra money' features?

At the time I got the setup I have I followed my general technology strategy of getting the best available at the time (within economic reason) and making it last as long as possible. Would be willing to do that again.

Thanks!
    Last edited by oftpiste; 04-13-2018 at 08:54 AM.

That's an AC1750 router, it'll do 450 mbps on 2.4GHz (better range) and 1300 mbps on 5GHz. You could bump up to an AC1900 which has 600 mbps on 2.4GHz, but I don't think it's really worth it if your current router is working. If you want to get rid of the range extender you could look into mesh routers like Eero, Google, etc..

Given that I'd get a 16x4 standalone modem like the Motorola MB7420, or a DOCSIS 3.1 like the MB8600. The 16x4 should be fine for your current service level but the 3.1 will be more "future proof" (but costs twice as much). The 3.1 also comes with AQM which helps reduce latency when the network is congested (your gamers will appreciate this).

The only other feature I'd worry about is battery backup - if you have Comcast phone service it needs to be attached to a modem with a battery in case of a power outage. You can either split the signal and have separate devices or have one that does both. If you don't have their phone service don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post

The only other feature I'd worry about is battery backup - if you have Comcast phone service it needs to be attached to a modem with a battery in case of a power outage. You can either split the signal and have separate devices or have one that does both. If you don't have their phone service don't worry about it.

Comcast’s installer told me I had to use their modem since I have their phone service.
    Is this correct?

I’m also considering their alarm service, since it’s not much more and my insurance requires it.

Teledad pretty much hit it with his comments. Your router is not the highest end AC series routers out now (heavy streaming and gaming needs a higher Wifi than the average check email and browse the web types. AC is the newest wifi standard. You also have to inventory which devices are using the typically slower (but longer signal range and distance) compared to the newer and faster 5 ghz. AC also gains an advantage because it supports multiple IO streams at the same time. Your coverage issue would be best addressed by additional access points- so Google Wifi mesh or something like Ubiquiti or similar brands of Access Point(s) if you have any Ethernet wiring in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Comcast’s installer told me I had to use their modem since I have their phone service.
    Is this correct?

I’m also considering their alarm service, since it’s not much more and my insurance requires it.
    They get you with the packaging. I think it is cheaper to have a landline with wifi & cable than without the phone. Maybe not exactly but it is right there as we have one that we don't need or use really other than MIL calls. Here in my mountain area, we have a choice of this expensive package, or we could go a different route of CenturyLink or some other equally crappy crap. Don't know if CL garbage is better in the city, but not a good option. I just want internet and zero to basic channels and no telemarketing tool to annoy me...ie landline phone. I could unplug the thing I know, but the whole MIL thing.

I have had the phone service when the bundle presented an economic advantage but never used it. Right now not signed up for phone so no point worrying about it relative to the modem. They don't care if you actually connect their phone or not, so if the bundle is cheaper you can still pay for it but use your own, non-telephonic modem.

So it sounds like - for the moment anyway - the smart money would be on getting a docsis 3.1 modem and keeping my router.

Coverage in that back bedroom with existing range extender serves one TV and an occasional phone or iPad for Netflix streaming just fine 99.5% of the time. If I have the docsis 3.1 I can always upgrade the router, but it sounds like there's not a huge gain in that considering my usage and service.

Am I getting this right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Is this correct?

Time Warner (now Spectrum) used to require their modem with phone service, and they charged $10 per month for it. Of course FCC has stated and regulated that people can use their own modems. So they used to just turn off the data and allowed you to bring your own, and would then drop the $10 rental (even though the same box is sitting there for use as telephone for no rental surcharge.) Now Spectrum since the take over still requires their modem/telephone device but only charge for wifi and turning that off saves the $5 per month fees and use your own router or access point.

Most all cable companies do not allow you to provide the telephone box with their telco service (but can cut the cord on telephone and do Google Voice device, Ooma, or MagicJack type of bring your own phone VoIP..)

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I have had the phone service when the bundle presented an economic advantage but never used it. Right now not signed up for phone so no point worrying about it relative to the modem. They don't care if you actually connect their phone or not, so if the bundle is cheaper you can still pay for it but use your own, non-telephonic modem.

So it sounds like - for the moment anyway - the smart money would be on getting a docsis 3.1 modem and keeping my router.

Coverage in that back bedroom with existing range extender serves one TV and an occasional phone or iPad for Netflix streaming just fine 99.5% of the time. If I have the docsis 3.1 I can always upgrade the router, but it sounds like there's not a huge gain in that considering my usage and service.

Am I getting this right?
    Typically wireless range extenders cut the max speed of wifi in half. So if the back bedroom is not reachable with the existing router, then power line ethernet maybe or a Mesh system like Google Wifi to increase wifi coverage without the speed hit of an extender maybe another thing to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Of course you are.

I think I'm allergic to tin foil ...I'm really fucked
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think I'm allergic to tin foil ...I'm really fucked
    Just wear your cycling helmet or ski helmet and cover that with the foil. You will have a bit of gap where the padding and foam is next to your skull, but better than living underground or in a bunker all the time. Otherwise just move out off the grid completely - National Forest land where you can't see any civilization, towers, or any lights/electricity transmission lines if you don't want to live in a bunker.

Cat's got that JFC look in the eyes while figuring a way to smother him in his sleep.

Set up a Netgear CM1000 (DOCSIS 3.1) yesterday. Kept existing router. Online speed tests seems o indicate an increase in speed. Not sure I can feel it. Any of you experts know if those things are in any way reliable?

Some of the speed tests are garbage (including anything provided by your ISP) but the Google and Netflix (fast.com) ones are pretty good, since they measure time to their servers (which are often what you want to reach in "real" use). Main thing to keep in mind is that ISPs like Comcast have "Burst" mode where you get faster bandwidth for a few minutes but will get throttled down if you sustain the load. That mostly matters for people with steady loads like busy web servers or file sharing - for most residential use a short-term burst (e.g. download enough of this movie that I can start watching) is exactly what you want.

For most general web use bandwidth isn't really going matter beyond a point - for a lot of things you're limited by response time. Bandwidth comes into play for heavy usage like video streaming (especially multiple streams or 4K), file sharing, photo and video upload/download, some games. Also weirdos like me who need to upload virtual machine images to cloud providers.