Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wilcox. Do you mean the Backland or HawX?
    Backland XTD

Very general observations on toebox, instep, heel hold from most roomy to least roomy comparing the boots i currently have.

All stock liners (caveat I usually replace with Intuitions as stock pack out)

All in 26 except for Scarpa F1 in 27

Hawx XTD is both v1 (2018) and v2 (2023) with Boa which I tried but didn't own.

Also have Hoji Tour but not enough time yet to try out

Toebox

- Backland XTD
    - Scarpa F1
    - ZeroG Tour Pro
    - Hawx XTD

Instep

- Backland XTD & F1 tied
    - ZGTP
    - Hawx

Heel hold

- Backland XTD
    - Hawx XTD
    - ZGTP & F1 tied

Doebedoe. Re your specific question on Backland XTD the stock Mimic liner had more space then the Intuition liners I've also been running (medium vol ProTours). However I would agree the Backland XTD has a wee bit more heel room than the Hawx XTD

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Backland XTD
    Touring. Backland is better as it has more ROM. Shows up more on flat skinning as opposed to uphills but its there

Skiing. ZGTP is better but that shows up more on hardpack or firm where ZGTP is more progressive as opposed to Backland which reminds me of Vulcan brick wall abruptness. Having said that this aspect doesn't manifest in soft snow

Lee, I get the feeling you are the kind of skier who drives their boots. I'm curious if your Backland XTDs develop any cuff pivot slop. It only took a couple long ski days, probably <5, for my cuff pivots to get loose in my Backland Carbons. I'm 6'1", 175 lbs without a pack....

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Lee, I get the feeling you are the kind of skier who drives their boots. I'm curious if your Backland XTDs develop any cuff pivot slop. It only took a couple long ski days, probably <5, for my cuff pivots to get loose in my Backland Carbons. I'm 6'1", 175 lbs without a pack....
    I drive them at the cuff but am light so even with a pack (75kgs body weight) don't wear stuff out that much so take that fwiw.

Will check back and maybe do a separate Hawx XTD v2 and Backland XTD thread otherwise this all gets lost in the shuffle.

For data it took me

- 200+ days to get cuff pivot slop in Vulcan
    - 150+ days to get cuff pivot slop in Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro

Ola,

Went to a local shop and was shocked. It is sale and their touringboot stock is almost complete. He sad they did not sell this year no snow and everybody bought during the pandemic new gear.
    Market was saturated.

s/lab mtn summit in my size was missing.
    But i slipped into the summit pro. Fit is ok for me +/- some work&intuition
    Forward flex was ok. Also general performance in the shop.
    I did not like the negative travel in the cuff when in ski mode.

Is the slab summit better in the cuff?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    I bought this boot but won’t be able to test them out until next weekend. Fit wise it doesn’t feel too wide and the shell is short for my mondo size. I may have to punch out a little. I have thin ankles medium instep and slightly wider toe box. atomic XTD fits me best but I hate the four buckle gripwalk and don’t need a heavy boot. I will follow up on a review soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    So how is the boot?

Quote Originally Posted by twat View Post
    So how is the boot?
    On the uphill its is amazing. I never felt like I was maxing I out on ROM. I think it walks just as well the Atomic Backland Carbon. I took it out on a 5k tour with about 3 miles of traversing. Did some booting in crampons, The heel pocket is snug, which I’ve been looking for in a touring boot. On the downhill, it is very stiff and doesn’t have a progressive flex IMO. I had the boot really ratcheted down, and I later played with keeping the top velcro strap more loose. The boa did a good job of locking down the heel. I skied about 1k of firm windboard, some heavy pow and lots of variable snow. At the end of the day, my feet had hot spots especially in the left 5th metatarsal base on my left foot, that left me limping. So I’ll have to go to a bootfitter to get it figured out. I think replacing the stock liner will make it more comfortable. I had it set for a +16.5 forward lean which may have been too much. In short, its not quite dialed in out of the box, but it has potential.

Thanks for that.

Looks like there may be a new Dalbello boot on the horizon- https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqspa7aojqz/

Not sure if that's been seen before or if I'm just misidentifying it.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

I want to hear about this new touring boot scarpa is releasing next season that Chris Davenport teased on his insta (in the caption, no pic). https://www.instagram.com/p/CqgwFTPJVsD/?hl=en
    my ZGTP is great when the snow is easy to ski, but its instep is just too voluminous when the snow is tossing you around.
    if its got a rockered touring sole i'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Looks like there may be a new Dalbello boot on the horizon- https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqspa7aojqz/

Not sure if that's been seen before or if I'm just misidentifying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatypowderpig View Post
    I want to hear about this new touring boot scarpa is releasing next season that Chris Davenport teased on his insta. https://www.instagram.com/p/CqgwFTPJVsD/?hl=en
    my ZGTP is great when the snow is easy to ski, but its instep is just too voluminous when the snow is tossing you around.
    if its got a rockered touring sole i'm in!
    Im not really seeing the boots in either of these ig posts. Maybe its in another ig post on their page?

Also weird up track from dav. I think i wouldve taken half those switchbacks out. I must be missing something my phone doesnt show

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Im not really seeing the boots in either of these ig posts. Maybe its in another ig post on their page?

Also weird up track from dav. I think i wouldve taken half those switchbacks out. I must be missing something my phone doesnt show

he mentions testing the new scarpa boot in the caption on the trip, no pics unfortunately

he mentions testing the new scarpa boot in the caption on the trip, no pics unfortunately
    Ah ok copy that. Ive been waiting for the new dalbello to drop but interested to see a new scarpa now too. Theyre the "last" hope for lower volume it seems

Comments mention a new Maestrale.

I hear its going to have even more hinges that break

but seriously if they already have the new boot

why do they need a new old boot ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ok, so I saw a pair of Fischer Transalp Pro Carbon. I have the Transalp Pros myself. I held them in my hand and looked at them. These were black cuff and dark grey lowers with "Transalp Carbon" wrtitten on them. The cuff looked like it was made of some type of carbon infused plastic. It clearly wasn't normal plastic. Otherwise they looked similar.

I just thought they were a new model I hadn't heard of. But I couldn't find them anywhere online. Didn't realise they were probably pre-production. I should have taken a picture.

I don't know if they add carbon to make them stiffer or lighter. I'm hoping stiffer with the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurterno View Post
    Ok, so I saw a pair of Fischer Transalp Pro Carbon. I have the Transalp Pros myself. I held them in my hand and looked at them. These were black cuff and dark grey lowers with "Transalp Carbon" wrtitten on them. The cuff looked like it was made of some type of carbon infused plastic. It clearly wasn't normal plastic. Otherwise they looked similar.

I just thought they were a new model I hadn't heard of. But I couldn't find them anywhere online. Didn't realise they were probably pre-production. I should have taken a picture.

I don't know if they add carbon to make them stiffer or lighter. I'm hoping stiffer with the same weight.
    The out of collective guys mentioned these in a fischer brand lineup video a couple months ago. I think they're gonna slot in above the pro in the lineup as the stiffest boot and possibly slightly lighter, not 100% on that though

Just got some barely used Transalp Pros myself. Walked well enough, and seem like they should ski great, but couldn't get the upper buckle tight enough around my skinny calves.

Either the first owner or I misplaced one of the calf shims, smooth. Planning to use voile straps around the cuff in the meantime, maybe some intuition tours in the future.
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Found a nice deal on Transalp Pros today, just pulled the trigger.

Tried on the Traverses before, had to go one size up from my usual alpine boots to be comfortable (26 to 27). Can't wait! It's also dumping, so I've got that going for me.

Pulled the trigger a few weeks back on Skorpius CRII to finally replace ancient TLT5s -- and hopefully some days of my Ultra XTD 130s. Instep room being bumped up from prior gen made it possible.

Shit snow here thus far, but took them for a 2k / 5mi walk. Just incredible ROM and friction improvement compared to the XTDs which I've done week long traverses and hut trips in.

Like AuvGeek went up a mondo in these vs my typical alpine boots. Same mondo as TLT5s. ~15mm shell fit. Skiing is TBD, but appreciate the much taller cuff height than the TLT series.

FWIW, 6'2" / 170# pre gear. Ski Lange RX130 LV in 27.5 off lifts.

Welcome aboard the Skorp train, it’s a fine thing!

Gravity always wins...

Fuuck. What am I missing out on, except for 200g/foot with choosing the transalp over the Skorpius? Can get either for the same price. Backlands are buckets to me, Travers CS felt OK.

Stiffer?
    Lower volume?

Fwiw, Lupos are too high volume over the instep. In the alpine boot world, Dobermanns are a smidge too low, Raptors are perfect. My feet are 274/278mm, Alpine boots are 26.5, but would go 27.5 for touring.

Thanks for any input!

Of course, if both Transalps and Skorpius scream "wrong boot", please make your suggestions known.
    Last edited by arild; 11-23-2023 at 03:17 AM.

Has anyone heard anything about the new dynafit ridge pro?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz_jFFVC...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Fuuck. What am I missing out on, except for 200g/foot with choosing the transalp over the Skorpius? Can get either for the same price. Backlands are buckets to me, Travers CS felt OK.

Stiffer?
    Lower volume?

Fwiw, Lupos are too high volume over the instep. In the alpine boot world, Dobermanns are a smidge too low, Raptors are perfect. My feet are 274/278mm, Alpine boots are 26.5, but would go 27.5 for touring.

Thanks for any input!

Of course, if both Transalps and Skorpius scream "wrong boot", please make your suggestions known.
    I’ll sum up my feel for them-
    I have a wide forefoot with nerve damage(sensitive), sorta low instep and low volume heel. I was coming from a decade or so in TLT 5/6.
    It’s the first boot I’ve had that didn’t require any shell work; i did put in a Tour Wrap, the stock liner didn’t work well for me.
    Uphill- good ROM, easy transitions, and so far pretty durable (2 seasons).
    Downhill- much better than TLT, no gaiters or boa to fiddle with or fail, nice rocker sole for walking.
    I have two pairs, probably 5-6 years worth!

Gravity always wins...