Page 705 of 1085 FirstFirst ... 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 ... LastLast
Results 17,601 to 17,625 of 27101
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    poor urban residents have access to the best healthcare in the world, which they often can’t afford.

rural residents are fuct.
    Right, we are in agreement (if poor urban residents can't afford the healthcare than it really doesn't matter if it happens to exist in their area).

It does seem like our country has made a decision to prop up the living standards of the ski forum demographic and their ilk, at the expense of 30% (40%?) of the population who are living subsistence!

Modern feudalism. My theory is that there hasn't been a class revolution because religion (the old standby), social media, netflix, video games, layaway and other small comforts keep poor folks just comfortable enough. Meth and fentanyl are also literally the opiate of the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    that was in my observation of the west coast anti-growth movement, a small minority, if any existed. Anyone remember the objections to demolishing the Ballard Denny’s? “Not another condo!”
    I didn't care so much about the Denny's but the leveling of Sunset Bowl was a cultural travesty.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I didn't care so much about the Denny's but the leveling of Sunset Bowl was a cultural travesty.
    Sadly, I don't think "new" Ballardites would have really patronized Sunset Bowl. Most of the salt of the earth ballardites are living elsewhere now.

New Ballardites want cold press coffee and theme-based bars where they can talk about disrupting, pivoting and new paradigms with other fintech rim jobbers.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I guess Bend could try to go the Aspen route. Outrageously expensive real estate that only the .01%ers can afford. And mix in just enough subsidized low income housing that the community still has enough teachers, fire fighters, cops, ect to survive. It's essentially a company town for the elite.
    And bus in the hired help to cater to the elite.

Here's the latest for Bend's progressive growth plans.

https://pahlischhomes.com/communities/luderman-crossing
    https://www.hayden-homes.com/communi...=Arena%20Acres
    https://pahlischhomes.com/communities/rivers_edge
    https://discoverywestbend.com/
    https://www.shevlinwestbend.com/
    https://www.westgatebend.com/ (Bring your Swiss bank account, or crypto wallet)
    https://petrosabend.com/
    https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...656dd07c5.html (Nothing like buying a house on a golf course, and then finding out a developer bought the land to build 400 houses on your 18 hole golf course.)
    https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...8e4ddfea9.html

In Bend, though, the housing market remains skewed by a key factor - the city is running out of buildable land.

The city's last update of its Buildable Lands Survey in January counted only 995 acres left inside city limits that are vacant, with no land use requests or subdivision applications pending.
    No worries though! Bend City council keeps annexing land like crazy. Pretty soon Bend will be one of the largest cities in Oregon measured by square miles.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    My theory is that there hasn't been a class revolution because religion (the old standby), social media, netflix, video games, layaway and other small comforts keep poor folks just comfortable enough. Meth and fentanyl are also literally the opiate of the masses.
    ...a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern: heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.

Sadly, I don't think "new" Ballardites would have really patronized Sunset Bowl. Most of the salt of the earth ballardites are living elsewhere now.

New Ballardites want cold press coffee and theme-based bars where they can talk about disrupting, pivoting and new paradigms with other fintech rim jobbers.
    Culture is people and the new tech dweeb people ain’t interested in building any culture of note, or maintaining anything. It’s “skinny” libertarianism

not that the last gilded age assholes were any smarter, brighter, more moral, or better human beings, but they did have the insight fucked into them by their wives that if they built culture it’d long outlast them and so people cheer for the ‘dores or Leland as if the commodore wasn’t a turd and Leland a dumbass.

Ya think?

The Fremont Tav was another victim of the buildout. Hopefully the Blue Moon will somehow keep it's doors open.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I read that out loud to my wife, who sighed and said "I hate that I know exactly what he's talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ...a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern: heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.
    bread and circuses

why things got spicy last year

sports!

Growth is great if managed properly, but it takes some iron willed city planners and leaders to make it happen so shit like traffic is solved sooner rather than later. As a city grows, you can't support it with the same size and configuration of roads as when it had less than half the people it does now.

Best we can hope for in the West is that the smoke gets so fucking bad and lasts so long every year that it literally drives people back to the coasts and Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Truth. My grandparents were regulars for lunch at Sunset every Wednesday for a few decades. My grandma called the QFC mixed-use complex in Crown Hill a “ghetto,” back in the late 90s. I’d love to hear what she would say about it now…

Lots of price reductions and additional inventory in my east bay hood. Median dropped 3%. It’s the most inventory I’ve seen in years.

Zillow sent me a home estimate the other day that was $200k less than the previous high. Oofff, glad I didn't buy anything real expensive this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Lots of price reductions and additional inventory in my east bay hood. Median dropped 3%. It’s the most inventory I’ve seen in years.
    Seeing lots of price drops in Bend too. The boat for the easy money has sailed.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Plus asking prices always overshoot.

The house down the street sold for what? Well our house has got to be worth more than that!

House pricing with most people is always a gut issue

whereas i think of house pricing as whatever you sold it for
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Redfin says that my house has appreciated 25% in the 5months since we purchased it (not including the wholesale landscape renovation of the backyard to make it useable, along with a repainting the exterior from pink to blue/green). Doesnt really do me much good as we arent selling anytime soon and i fully expect a market correction.

Real Estate Crash thread

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Redfin says that my house has appreciated 25% in the 5months since we purchased it (not including the wholesale landscape renovation of the backyard to make it useable, along with a repainting the exterior from pink to blue/green). Doesnt really do me much good as we arent selling anytime soon and i fully expect a market correction.
    Appraiser told me landscape worth nothing fwiw. The house I bought claimed $60k in landscaping. Nice paint is worth a lot though.

a good Gardener makes all the difference
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

as long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.

A mature garden takes years to evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Appraiser told me landscape worth nothing fwiw. The house I bought claimed $60k in landscaping. Nice paint is worth a lot though.
    Eh, when we bought the place the backyard was just a clay dirt mudpit with a couple patches of weeds. Held standing water 4-5 months out of the year. Fence to fence, the whole thing just unuseable.

I installed drainage, regraded it all and its sodded with perimeter landscape plantings and garden planters, and a 500sf attached covered paver patio. Its a useable, activated outdoor space now. Its not like im trying to take $50k credit for "mature gardens and landscaping". I'm taking credit for it being a full on negative attribute/liability previously, and it now being a positive attribute.

IDK, maybe im way off, but a good useable yard was a huge positive in the "curb appeal" column when i was looking at houses... especially during covid times.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    IDK, maybe im way off, but a good useable yard was a huge positive in the "curb appeal" column when i was looking at houses... especially during covid times.
    But you bought without one it seems..

Just saying. Usable yard is and was a HUGH seling point for us while buying, but that's in MA where there's grass and we haven't shopped in the last 7 years so the market is very different now.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    as long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.
    Not a big Peter Sellers fan but thought that movie brilliant when I saw it in theater. I like to watch..