Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Good thoughts, totally get it. Wrapping my head around the desire here... how close would an MFree118 be to this ski?
    Not completely dissimilar, but different enough?

- MF has significantly longer running length, less rocker, more like a Rustler 9
    - MF has a fair bit less tip/tail splay
    - MF has a lot of camber, 10mm. If anything, I’d be inclined to go less rather than more than the 4mm I’ve drawn up
    - MF has significantly shorter radius, ~21m
    - MF has -10cm mount vs. -8cm
    - MF is only a ‘half step’ up from an R11 in terms of width.

To me the M Free sounds like a Black Ops 118 for a more directional skier? More chop destroyer, but less floaty/loose/smeary than I’m envisioning?

Edit: With the short effective edge/aggressive taper it seems like the M Free is loose one it gets up to speed, but I’m looking for something that floats and stays loose at more moderate speeds/mellower terrain/very deep days. Not picturing this being a ‘pro model’ type ski.
    Last edited by J. Barron DeJong; 01-15-2023 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Not completely dissimilar, but different enough?

- MF has significantly longer running length, less rocker, more like a Rustler 9
    - MF has a fair bit less tip/tail splay
    - MF has a lot of camber, 10mm. If anything, I’d be inclined to go less rather than more than the 4mm I’ve drawn up
    - MF has significantly shorter radius, ~21m
    - MF has -10cm mount vs. -8cm
    - MF is only a ‘half step’ up from an R11 in terms of width.

To me the M Free sounds like a Black Ops 118 for a more directional skier? More chop destroyer, but less floaty/loose/smeary than I’m envisioning?

Edit: With the short effective edge/aggressive taper it seems like the M Free is loose one it gets up to speed, but I’m looking for something that floats and stays loose at more moderate speeds/mellower terrain/very deep days. Not picturing this being a ‘pro model’ type ski.
    very helpful!
    pm sent. Let’s do this.

Yew!

A few more design thoughts on radius... So the key thing to remember, alot like Shane's thought on the original spatulats, is that you just need a little mental floss.

So what big radius skis can't do is roll up on edge with a subtle movement of the ankle and carve a low/mid speed carve across the fall line. But... that isn't what this ski is for! Thats what 99mm daily drive skis are for!

What a big radius ski adds is much more about 3d snow (read, anything soft, not just pure pow).

Firstly, becuase there isn't a bunch of radius in the tips or tails, the ski won't hook or do weird things in variable snow, wind crust etc. They just slide through and cut far more clean.

Secondarily, with a big radius ski, you end up with a proportionally narrower tip and wider width underfoot than a ski with comparable surface area which again, helps with stability, and less likely to deflect as you ski through chopped up snow, especially when it is heavier denser snow.

Lastly, on a big radius ski, the ski releases and drifts turns much smooth and more predictably (especially in windbuff), because there isn't a bunch of sidecut underfoot trying to grab the snow.

Big radius skis certainly turn well, and when you are used to them, can make any turnshape you want, they just turn from a little bit different input than a 20m radius ski!

So yeah, skis in the 40m+ zone are not really for everyone, but they are something special for those that love how they ride!

Hope that helps

Lastly, the 46.3m is not the smallest radius on tap from HL... not is it the biggest! But it, in our view, the perfect sweet spot for a freeride ski. Cheers!
    yeah this ^^ exactly, I was worried about riding the Lotus 120 in 184 but it was so easy/ loved it so much I bought another pair in 190 and in spite of being the next size longer than I normaly ride ... no problem. Just crank em sideways to turn depending on what kind of turn you want but they do turn, folks should not be afraid of that advertised big radius #

everyone should have a pair or 2
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-16-2023 at 02:01 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

very helpful!
    pm sent. Let’s do this.
    Sweet! PM with contact info sent.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Sweet! PM with contact info sent.
    Awesome.

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com

Looking alot like a fatter version of the 110mm "Mod" ski that I just ordered test of!
    Tell me more about this ski...

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Tell me more about this ski...
    more info coming very soon, but it’s like a sickle designed to harvest wheat.

(!!!)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Say whatttt??

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Say whatttt??
    The French could almost be trusted to call it le Sick.

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com

Yes!!!

191 and 184 for lengths and everyone should be happy

Holy shit. Answered my prayers. My current sickles are nearly done.

This peaks my interest as well. Could slot very well in the DD slot for me.

I'm super curious about what kind of construction you are going to use. Part of the charm of the Sickle is all the rubber, I haven't found a ski that replicates that feel yet (though I just bought some MFree 108s and am excited to compare them).

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I'm super curious about what kind of construction you are going to use. Part of the charm of the Sickle is all the rubber, I haven't found a ski that replicates that feel yet (though I just bought some MFree 108s and am excited to compare them).
    “yes”

honestly, I think folks with the FL113 are going to find it to be amongst the smoothest skis out there, while still being lively and responsive.

I plan to use that same construction.

“yes”

honestly, I think folks with the FL113 are going to find it to be amongst the smoothest skis out there, while still being lively and responsive.

I plan to use that same construction.
    Just read up on the FL113 a little more and you can count me in for a pair of this new ski no matter what. Hyped!

I saw in gear swap you sold your BMT 94's.. is there a ski like that in the pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I saw in gear swap you sold your BMT 94's.. is there a ski like that in the pipeline?
    Seems like a logical conclusion!

As a quick cross-post, the Carbon and Freeride skis are all supposed to deliver to me today, and I will be pushing skis out as fast and hard as possible, with the goal of getting all pre-ordered skis from this cohort shipped this week and monday.

The Comp-build Raceroom metal skis are entering production in 2 weeks, shipping to me approx Feb 18-20, and should be shipping out from em to you in the Feb 25-28 window. More to come on this as I get more details! I am super excited for these, and know they are really going to be worth the wait!

Seems like a logical conclusion!
    Hell yeah

Yes please!! That C110 appears to be exactly what I'm looking for....

Hello and greetings from Heritage Lab!

GREAT NEWS

The Raceroom Comp build skis have entered pre-production (ie cutting bases, printing top sheets, etc), which means they should be shipping fairly soon. Please expect a formal update on timing in the coming weeks!

CURRENT INVENTORY

The first run of HL skis is almost gone. Other than the Comp Builds, which will ship in ~4 weeks, everything is in stock and shipping within 48hrs:
    FL113 - sold out for this run
    FR132 - 1x 190cm remaining
    C113 - 1x 194cm remaining
    C132 - 5x 200cm remaining (had a few folks switch to 190cm on these)
    R120 - 1x Comp Build available
    R99 - 3x 188 Comp, 3x 188 AM
    R87 - 1-2x on all lengths and sizes
    2023 PREVIEW

Along with re-pressing just about all the 2022 models, Heritage Lab has heard the feedback from our skiers, and will be adding 3 models for next season. A reverse camber 110mm 186cm ski built around a -6mm waist, a directional 105mm daily driver, and a progressive 90mm wide bc-specific shape designed for wild snow. Details to follow next week. But for now, here is a look at the art:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski-collections.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	445945
    sproing!

I'll definitely be in for a C90

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

110 reverse sounds great.

Loving the FR options. Drake created so many cool shapes but was so hooked on carbon and lively. Which is great for touring but sucks getting back to the lift.

Congrats Marshall. Happy for you. And also for the riders.

Can’t wait to hear more about the new models!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Damn, they deserve a slot in the 23/24 gear thread...