Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

tr: a heli to heaven

Thanks again to RZ and JZ for organizing the trip and to everyone whose company I enjoyed while there. A great crew in spectacular terrain made for a magical week. If only there were more Jackson hardmen down here.

The trip started out a bit rough. There was a long drive and border crossing issues. Then there was buried surface hoar that went upon a mere glance. This followed by a day waiting for the weather to clear and hearing even more stories about the twitchy snowpack. More waiting and contemplation of the snowpack followed. I made a mental note to bring strong sedatives if I ever go to AK.

But when the bird fired up, it was worth the wait. Flying through the mountains in a heli is something everyone should get to experience. photo by nhtele

The hut was situated at treeline near the divide between two basins. A short skin led to amazing vistas in all directions. The real question is would the snowpack allow us to proceed?

Fortunately the answer to this question was an emphatic yes. Over the course of the week we skied every peak, couloir, and face within sight. Top to bottom runs and celebration took the place of photography.

AB nailing the sickbird line of the trip. Watching him straightline this couloir was the closest thing to a ski movie I have seen in person.

nhtele

randosteve

RF

nhtele

randosteve

nhtele on the rope, BL on the belay.

The glaciers.

I'm a happy man. photo by nhtele

So are TS and JZ. With the heli, no comfort was spared. Beer from a keg. Food from a chef. Definitely the way to go. photo by nhtele

The elusive 505. Everyone thought about it, some investigated, no one skied her.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Top to bottom runs and celebration took the place of photography.
    Sometimes that's how it's gotta be done. Totally understandable. Must have been a great time. So jealous, something like that would make my season and then some.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

this is a good tr

looks like a blast!

hell of a trip and some nice photos

fucking awesome! that's just such an incredible adventure and it's even more clear with these additional pictures to go with the stories
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

hell yeah buddy. hell yeah...

I feel I should know this place. Took me a while.... Ah: the trees around the hut allow me to compare it to an old pic. Looks like a lot of renovation since I was there 9 years ago. If I remember the story, the door was taken away from there to Battle Abbey.... You may or may not know that the peak called Sir William -- the official name on maps, etc -- is a complete hoax. There never was a Sir Wm -- just the William who build the hut!

And the heli looks familar -- steady Don at the controls?

Looks like great skiing for you guys -- I'm happy you had a fine week up there....

Quote Originally Posted by StanWagon View Post
    I feel I should know this place. Took me a while.... Ah: the trees around the hut allow me to compare it to an old pic. Looks like a lot of renovation since I was there 9 years ago. If I remember the story, the door was taken away from there to Battle Abbey.... You may or may not know that the peak called Sir William -- the official name on maps, etc -- is a complete hoax. There never was a Sir Wm -- just the William who build the hut!

And the heli looks familar -- steady Don at the controls?

Looks like great skiing for you guys -- I'm happy you had a fine week up there....
    Craig was our pilot.

Didn't know William was named after the hut builder. It was a fun ski regardless.

We will have to ski together if you are still coming to Summit. Big Eyes perhaps?
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

RandoSteve preparing for the Jackson rando rally? Sick skin track and photos

Not fair.

Been waiting for this, great TR.

Heart warming.
    Life is not lift served.

Great pictures and sick lines!

nice photos andy...good times up there!
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

SIIIIIIICK
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Sahweeet!!

My new idea is to ski cut on belay with a bungee. You get to experience the slide and boom your right back on the ridge.
    Hello darkness my old friend

That is awesome. JSki, we need to line this up for next year. A trip like this is definitely on the list.

o wow - Steve said it was touchy snow but looked like it firmed up.

Some killer shots!

Such nice terrain and options all around it seems.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Stunning photos and scenery.

And best of both worlds, I would say! Helis,skinning,remoteness,comforts of civilized life,mates,women...
    DAMN!!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Bump!

FKNA.

Which hut was this? Did you bring a guide as well as cook? Can you give an estimate of how much it costs for how long? Inquiring minds...
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Wow, add that to my list of cool things to do.

Great photos, great lines, great fun.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

That is definitely how it's done. Nice work

great stuff.

who owns the tracks on the right?
    Quote Originally Posted by adimmen View Post

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quality bump
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno