Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Shin protection for trail/enduro

Searched, most recent thread was 4 years old.

Being a clipless guy I've never bothered with shin protection. But, I somehow managed to blow my shin wide open last week anyway and 14 stitches later I'm thinking that I should wear some kind of shin protection for a while.

What's out there that's light, easily packable and easy to take on and off? I'm not too interested in G-Form since you need to take your shoes off to put them on/take off.

When I started out riding, I used soccer shin guards, the kind with no ankle protection, so they just attached with two velcro straps. Got them for like $15 from dick's or target or wherever. I'm sure I looked like an idiot, but they worked.

^ that's clever.

I have the Alpinestars Paragon knee/shin. Its light weight I can pedal in it well enough. But, its a pull on kind; so you'd have to take your shoes off.

Yeah, fuck climbing in pads around here in the summer. I want something I can stow in my pack on the up. I don't even wear gloves on the up.

Fox has some good ones

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Fox has some good ones
    Enlighten me. All I see on their site is a bunch of different knee pads. The only shin option is the Launch Knee/Shin. I already happen to own a pair of those and they're not practical at all for anything but pure shuttle/bike park duty.

14 stitches isn't bad. Just keep doing what you're doing. You'll go another eternity before you open yourself up again.

I am of the opinion that any pad that's removable without taking your shoes off also kinda sucks to ride in. Every option I've tried has been less secure and fairly shitty for even nominal amounts of pedaling.

I also don't know of many pedal friendly pads that have much for shin protection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just pull my kneepads down around my ankles whenever I'm doing something where I might slip a pedal.... although the worst ones are always fucking around in the parking lot...

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    14 stitches isn't bad. Just keep doing what you're doing. You'll go another eternity before you open yourself up again.
    I'll take it over broken bones or torn ligaments, but this has still kinda sucked. On day 7 now and still having to spend a lot of time with my leg elevated.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I am of the opinion that any pad that's removable without taking your shoes off also kinda sucks to ride in. Every option I've tried has been less secure and fairly shitty for even nominal amounts of pedaling.

I also don't know of many pedal friendly pads that have much for shin protection.
    I've been shopping a bit and the options really do seem to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

I take it that includes the Raceface?
    I currently have a set that I am pretty happy with.

Fox is pretty light, and has awesome protection

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Ion has some that straps on, but you need to use it with an Ion knee pad (velcro attach). You could probably add some velcro to your existing knee pads and make it work.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...-Pad-Amp,22869
    Thanks Shane

shadow conspiracy is what your looking for, make both hard and soft versions, i run the thin soft version of knee and shin under pants for dj/park, my ripper friends all use the hard insert version and swear by them, soft shin is pull on but think the hard one is strap on
    bmx brands make far better and more reasonably priced pads than mtb imo

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    shadow conspiracy is what your looking for, make both hard and soft versions, i run the thin soft version of knee and shin under pants for dj/park, my ripper friends all use the hard insert version and swear by them, soft shin is pull on but think the hard one is strap on
    Good info...

Thanks.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'll take it over broken bones or torn ligaments, but this has still kinda sucked. On day 7 now and still having to spend a lot of time with my leg elevated.
    Yeah, fuck stitches. I’m going on 3 weeks and still can’t ride. Fucking thing won’t close.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Thin d3o sewn into the shin and the ankle.

https://www.concrete-visionary.com/h...le-protection/

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    These look like a great option, thanks.

https://theshadowconspiracy.com/shadow-safety-gear/

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Thin d3o sewn into the shin and the ankle.

https://www.concrete-visionary.com/h...le-protection/

Well I'll be god damned....

7idp Transition pedals really well and extends further down the shin than any other sleeve pad I've used (Leatt Airflex Pro, Gform, TLD, POC). They have the Sam Hill version which adds even more padding radially around the main thing that got excellent reviews on Vital & NSMB, but apparently production is delayed and it won't ship until late July.

Otherwise, you're looking at strap on pads like Race Face Flank.

I slipped a pedal when I was 12 trying a gap. Chunked my shin fiercely and not getting stitches or seeing doc is still a huge regret. Paying for it decades later. Shin opens up with a slight breeze at the wrong angle now and takes a while to heal. I bought some POC VPD long knee pads. Spendy but I like. Covers my zone

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Yeah, fuck stitches. I’m going on 3 weeks and still can’t ride. Fucking thing won’t close.
    Damn, that sucks. I'm thinking I'll be riding in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I slipped a pedal when I was 12 trying a gap. Chunked my shin fiercely and not getting stitches or seeing doc is still a huge regret. Paying for it decades later. Shin opens up with a slight breeze at the wrong angle now and takes a while to heal.
    Yeah, while I got stitches my fear is that it's still going to be super vulnerable for a while. It was also more blunt force trauma than laceration, so it's probably not going to heal as nicely as a clean slice.

Yeah, my front tire kicked a rock into my shin the other day and I still have the bloody wound to prove it. I've known others that went with soccer shin guards, that might be the way to go if you don't want to take your shoes off..

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yeah, my front tire kicked a rock into my shin the other day and I still have the bloody wound to prove it. I've known others that went with soccer shin guards, that might be the way to go if you don't want to take your shoes off..
    That's a weird injury, ain't it? I had this happen last fall and I bled like a stuck pig. A couple bands from my Garmin and a baby wipe got me back to the car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170412_120545.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	238996

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    ugh had the same happen and I swear I still have a dent in my shin from it a few yrs later

those socks/ shin pads interest me but I must admit I am not crazy about wearing tall socks although shin dents are less attractive too
    skid luxury