Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The OFFICIAL Upper, Middle, and Lower Class Definition Thread

What are you? What are your neighbors? Is the hourly worker making a decent wage in a low cost of living area the same as a coder in SF making low 6 figures? Who knows? Let's figure it out!

I think the definition should be based more on what you can and can't do versus a simple income number, or income with some COL adjustment.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This task to define something seems way less fun than the Upstate expedition.
    I still call it The Jake.

Lets all use the same ruler. According to this I sneak into the Middle Class and could earn $100k more and still be MC.

https://www.investopedia.com/financi...20%24122%2C000.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    This task to define something seems way less fun than the Upstate expedition.
    Definitely. It seems there are some people that need another outlet for misguided meltdowns though.

started from the bottom, now we here.
    27° 18°

Depends on one's proximity to a canal.....

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Depends on one's proximity to a canal.....
    Are you on the packet boat or leading the mule?

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Vanlife Test:

Sleep in your rusted shitbox, strewn with all the possessions you own, by the church or library? Low class
    Sleep in your late model pickup + slide in, or converted minivan, at some quiet trailhead? Middle class.
    Sleep in your custom build Sprinter, all perfectly organized, in the ski area parking lot? Upper class
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 04-06-2021 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Lets all use the same ruler. According to this I sneak into the Middle Class and could earn $100k more and still be MC.

https://www.investopedia.com/financi...20%24122%2C000.
    "This Pew classification means that the category of middle-income is made up of people making somewhere between $40,500 and $122,000 [note: per household, not per person].

Those making less than $39,500 make up the lower-income bracket, while those making more than $118,000 make up the upper-income bracket."

Oh yeah, we can fight about this for days, but I assume something like 80%++ of maggots have household incomes over $118k.

If you wear Carhartts you get to claim “workingman” or “middle class” status no matter how much you make.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    If you wear Carhartts you get to claim “workingman” or “middle class” status no matter how much you make.
    WIP too? Or just standard carhartt?

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I propose a vanlife test:

Sleep in your rusted shitbox, strewn with all the possessions you own, by the church or library? Low class
    Sleep in your late model pickup slide in, or converted minivan, at some quiet trailhead? Middle class.
    Sleep in your custom build Sprinter, all perfectly organized, in the ski area parking lot? Upper class

Flame away !
    I think we have a winner!

What about sleeping in a van in Ogden? Higher or lower class than owning a home there?
    Live Free or Die

Leading the mule in my carhartts pants and hoodie..

although their pants are sized weird.....making it unimpossible to buy online - need to try on local

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I buy my a carhartts as seconds online. Does that categorize me as underclass or simply undesirable?

Ooooh it's time for my sociology PhD to shine!

Wait...
    Sleep in your late model pickup slide in, or converted minivan, at some quiet trailhead? Middle class.
    Nope this is more relevant than anything academic social science has come up with.

So I think it's a mistake to break class in the US down to just money. It certainly is the dominant thing, but the reason class isn't more fluid is that it isn't the only thing. Things like attending high prestige schools and having certain manners/interests/knowledge allow some individuals access to certain kinds of networks that someone with a similar income but without those class markers is excluded from. This is one of the things that makes class "sticky". Something happens to the income stream of the Harvard (or even Brown!) graduate, and that durable class marker ensures they don't fall far economically. A small plumbing supply company owner might make more most years but likely lacks those markers and network access so the class position is much more closely tied to income.

You guys are talking income. High class, low class - I thought we were talking about fashion. No? Cause I'm pretty sure I know what category of fashion "class" that most of us fall under...

My classes are all AP.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

It all comes down to the shoes.
    Dress shoes with carhartts?
    blundstones, sorels or mucks?

You can always tell by how a person treats the help.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I propose a vanlife test:

Flame away !
    Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think we have a winner!

What about sleeping in a van in Ogden? Higher or lower class than owning a home there?
    Regardless of class, positive Ogdens.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    So I think it's a mistake to break class in the US down to just money. It certainly is the dominant thing, but the reason class isn't more fluid is that it isn't the only thing. Things like attending high prestige schools and having certain manners/interests/knowledge allow some individuals access to certain kinds of networks that someone with a similar income but without those class markers is excluded from. This is one of the things that makes class "sticky". Something happens to the income stream of the Harvard (or even Brown!) graduate, and that durable class marker ensures they don't fall far economically. A small plumbing supply company owner might make more most years but likely lacks those markers and network access so the class position is much more closely tied to income.
    Bingo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJaz_S4deTM
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Lower class asks "Did you have enough to eat?"
    Middle class asks "How did the food taste?"
    Upper class asks "How did the food look?"

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    You can always tell by how a person treats the help.
    The higher class you are, the shittier you treat the help, right?