Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    it's all good the op and i r bros
    every act of brofessional courtsey, kindness, or stokes ive attempted or deliverd to any member of the maggot community
    been repaid 11 fold
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Totally agree SFB. This place has hooked me up many times.

Any yooper mags into ice fest?

I'm thinking of taking the rescue and rigging course just for fun.

long-term update:

I badgered this guy for a few years to go skiing. Last year, we skied together quite a bit: he's a beater. He was also kind of a tool at work, I was hoping skiing together might work to start undoing the work toolery. No dice. In fact, it turns out he was stealing money from work, and it appears (based on minutes from our board of directors' last meeting) that an arrest warrant may be issued for him shortly. He's apparently baled town.

Mixed feelings...it's a bummer to have the only skier at work turn out to be a complete douche. Then again, it's sort of gratifying to see a complete douche get taken down a peg.

lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what-have-yous.

But did he make with zee ups and zee downs?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    long-term update:

I badgered this guy for a few years to go skiing. Last year, we skied together quite a bit: he's a beater. He was also kind of a tool at work, I was hoping skiing together might work to start undoing the work toolery. No dice. In fact, it turns out he was stealing money from work, and it appears (based on minutes from our board of directors' last meeting) that an arrest warrant may be issued for him shortly. He's apparently baled town.

Mixed feelings...it's a bummer to have the only skier at work turn out to be a complete douche. Then again, it's sort of gratifying to see a complete douche get taken down a peg.

lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what-have-yous.
    I was like, wtf was this bumped for...

but now I'm like, please keep us updated, and pics of the dude in cuffs.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    But did he make with zee ups and zee downs?
    yes, he made with a variety of those, and more.

So, firstly, this is for anybody contemplating moving back to the hometown:
    Don’t. Just don’t.

Posting tonight to attempt to understand something odd and disconcerting that took place a couple hours ago...
    I saw the first girl/woman I ever had sex with. She is now in the neighborhood of 350 lbs and missing her front teeth. This whole scenario is a psychological beat down not dissimilar to a month or so ago when I spotted my beloved high school car, totally thrashed, being used as a yard runner at a truck repair facility (confirmed: it’s definitely my old one, dude bought it from the guy I sold it to in 1995)

I have to get out of here. This place is a soul-crushing graveyard of dreams.

You need to get out. I wander through my hometown occasionally and it is not a pleasant journey. You have a lot too offer and need a good space from which to share it.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

This seems to belong here. The Pretenders performing "My City Was Gone" then covering "Needle and the Damage Done:"

Good luck, Yeti. Get out of there.

Theres room in lot 4 for ya Yeti!

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

So, firstly, this is for anybody contemplating moving back to the hometown:
    Don’t. Just don’t.

Posting tonight to attempt to understand something odd and disconcerting that took place a couple hours ago...
    I saw the first girl/woman I ever had sex with. She is now in the neighborhood of 350 lbs and missing her front teeth. This whole scenario is a psychological beat down not dissimilar to a month or so ago when I spotted my beloved high school car, totally thrashed, being used as a yard runner at a truck repair facility (confirmed: it’s definitely my old one, dude bought it from the guy I sold it to in 1995)

I have to get out of here. This place is a soul-crushing graveyard of dreams.
    I think it depends on the hometown, but I get what you mean. In general it is not often a good thing.

You left for a reason. I would never move back to my hometown, for the record. But I know lots of people who live near where they grew up. Usually if they do so by choice it is because those areas are in demand. I can understand someone who grows up in La Jolla and goes to college somewhere else coming back. The same thing for the bay area, Hermosa Beach, Newport, Seattle.....The common thread is that those places are usually places that tend to be popular and have good job markets, recreational opportunities......

The girl who took your vcard may never have left. If she did leave, she probably had to come back. I highly doubt she has many options in life, she is probably stuck there.

You left and came back. My guess is that lots of the people you thought highly of have left. I could be wrong, but that may well be the case. I would also guess that many of the people who never left are not the kind of people you want to spend your life around. You seem to be hinting at that, although I could be wrong.

Start formulating a plan. Where do you want to be? Is it realistic? How can you accomplish moving there? You need to look at the set intersection between where you want to live and where there are economic opportunities for your skills.

This is going to sound like a strange connection, but bear with me. I double majored in college and planned to take winter off of my 5th year, come back and graduate in the summer, then do another winter in Tahoe. At one point after Tahoe I figured I would not be able to complete the second major, but whatever, I finished my classes and headed back to Tahoe. I did not have a place to live, so I booked a room at the Ponderosa Hotel in Reno. This was about 19 years ago, and I think the weekly rent was around 140 a week. The place was pretty horrible, but I did not really care. I would drive up to Tahoe every day to ski and work, then come home late night and chill. Many of the people there were pretty down and out, I would imagine I might, literally, have been the only one with a college degree. People in the elevator would ask me about my skis, they seemed exotic to many of them. I remember a woman, who I would describe in the same way as your ex, who told me she had lived in that motel for seven years. She was about what you would expect. The place was slummy and sketchy, but I did not really care all that much. In early January, when I had been there for a month, I came back to my room and smelled a horrible chemical smell in the hallway. The manager, who sported an absolutely spectacular mullet, was walking around. We looked at each other and wondered aloud what the smell was. He laughed and said "is there a meth lab I don't know about" and then laughed harder. I laughed too, but then realized that there was almost definitely at least one meth lab in that place. I had started to get sick of the place, but at that moment I realized I needed to find a place in Tahoe, this hotel was not just scummy and full of toothless down and out white people, it was straight up dangerous. As luck would have it one of my buddies from Tahoe called my about ten minutes later and said that some of his friends had a loft for rent in an a-frame in Tahoe City. I said I would take it site unseen. I moved in the next day.

The point is that while this place offered me a roof for a little while, after a month I really needed to leave. It was wearing on me, and that smell got things into high gear. The place was beyond scummy, and I needed to get out of there. I'm not saying your hometown is like that, but my guess is there are lots of other signs, things you have not reported in this thread, which are telling you to get the fuck out of there. Seeing your truck and your ex are symbolic, the truck was probably once cool and your ex was probably once hot. Figure out a way to live your life somewhere else. Life is too short.

If any of you guys want some entertainment check out the yelp reviews on the Ponderosa Hotel. The most recent one, from 10/1/2018, is absolute gold.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Tahoe has it's problems, but the general health of the population up here is striking every time I leave the mountains for the valleys. Obesity up here is at levels it was 20 years ago everywhere else. it's a happy healthy place to be once you figure out housing (currently difficult) and job (currently easy, but some companies are summer only, many shut down for a period in the fall). Keep in mind it's not like Bend it's a mountain town with mountain town jobs.

tends to be the situation at most mountain towns with one difference being this place cranks in the summer enough it's not difficult to take significant time off in the winter or spring.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I'm with you Yeti. Left the west, been living in Michigan way too long. Had a great plan to get out of here years ago, sold all my shit, I had one month to wrap up work stuff then I was off to Colorado. As luck would have it during that one month was when I met the future Mrs. 3 kids and 7 years later I'm still in MI, it's hasn't been easy. With the duel income my wife and I were able to purchase a piece of land in CO 4 years ago. Just owning the property has helped shift my brain away from the Michigan suck. I now find myself appreciating what Michigan does have to offer (well at least in the summer months, winter will always suck here), the water sports, mountain biking/hiking. The beauty of this place came back once I knew I was no longer stuck here. My wife and I treat this place like we are on some sort of extended (fucked up) vacation and home is just a few years away. In about 5 years we will be moving out west full time.

I guess if your life is like an extended vacation you should keep doing that.

My life is not at all like that.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 06-11-2019 at 08:10 AM.

my uncle has always said keep your chin up

the "back home" stories are endless
    my best buddy growing up is well over 300 lbs, so is his wife, they are both depressed, it's sad, wish I had an answer to make them better
    every year when we get together he says, "living the dream, must be nice" it actually pisses me off when he says it, cause no I'm not living the dream, maybe in some way
    but at the end of the day my life sucks just as bad as everyone else's
    I want to list off all the bullshit I deal with on a daily basis when he says that, but that's not how it works

I do have to step back and be grateful for my lot in life, since I know so many other people, even in a pretty little ski town, who are dealing with boat loads of issues that make mine seem so small

I could go home, it wouldn't be bad, but would never do it, I grew up in a college town, so the ebb and flow of 40k students can make you almost invisible at times, depending on where you live in the county
    they actually did a mini series recently on our town, it was super trippy to watch an outsider interview people you know, tell their stories and provide a perspective from the outside
    the town was torn between people who supported the show and those that didn't, since it brought up a lot of old wounds

I guess if your life is like an extended vacation you should keep doing that.

My life is not at all like that.
    My life is by no means a vacation.............just how I pretend it is in my head to survive in Michigan. The mountains are and always will be what I consider home and I can't wait to get back there. Hope your path returns you to your happy place soon. Hang in there!

I'd wholeheartedly support you poor saps GTFO of Michigan. Was just back for my niece's gradumatation and open house. Fun seeing a few people I'd not seen in a long time, but goddam am I glad I'm out of there. There seems to be a pervasive malaise that most everyone seems to have. Like a resignation that this is their lot and they're not happy about it, but it is what it is.

Knowwhatimean?

I haen't spent more than 5 days in the town I graduated high school from since I went to college in 1982. It was fun to go out drinking with my high school friends (and skiing, and disc golf) a couple times every few years. But, I haven't even been back up there to do that since 1998ish. Odd thing is that thanks to social media I'm more in contact with more people I went through grade/high school with today than I was a week after we graduated. I've got to say it's much better from a distance. I do need to hit a class reunion, not a single one so far, thinking about the 40th in 2022. Problem is we're dropping like flies. Three classmates died in the past week... that I know of. Some of my best friends are already gone.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Left the west, been living in Michigan
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    My life is by no means a vacation.............just how I pretend it is in my head to survive in Michigan. The mountains are and always will be what I consider home and I can't wait to get back there. Hope your path returns you to your happy place soon. Hang in there!
    Why do you have to wait?

You too IAS? I missed what took you back to Michigan in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

[QUOTE=PNWbrit;5690246]Why?

Went through a rough patch, trying to figure out life, thought at the time it was going to be a good thing to be closer to family/old friends. Turns out I was wrong. While I'm not totally stoked on being here all the time a lot of good has still happened here for me. Met my wife, built a successful business, kids are happy here.

Why do you have to wait? It's a dumb situation involving an ex and custody. Believe me if that wasn't the case we would have relocated 7 years ago.

I've been back to Detroit 5 times since I left in 76--1 wedding, 1 sick mother, 2 funerals, and 1 actual visit to show off my new wife.

There’s a lot of things that suck about Michigan... there’s a lot of nice stuff too. If you’re into boating, fresh water, lakes and beaches, there’s no place better 5 months out of the year.

Winter sucks though. I haven’t been to the UP in a very long time but I get the feeling it is crumbling. Socially and economically.

I’ve lived and worked in some pretty ghetto places around Detroit and had good experiences. Unfortunately I also watched a lot of people around me ruin their lives hanging out in bars.

Wife and I were downtown last night and while there is this “New Detroit” vibe downtown... it’s still had feeling of lawlessness that I always liked... riding those battery powered scooter that litter the streets around... blowing red lights in front of cops... nobody cares...

Maybe I just kind of like places that suck.
    Maybe it’s because I just like “home”
    I don’t know... Michigan has been good to me... but it sucks for a lot of people

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Like a resignation that this is their lot and they're not happy about it, but it is what it is.

Knowwhatimean?
    I get that vibe from a lot of friends/family when I'm in Ohio visiting. "Oh, you're so lucky you live in the mountains." I just want to be like "if that's what you want then save some cash, get a job, pack your car, and fucking go."

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    There’s a lot of things that suck about Michigan... there’s a lot of nice stuff too. If you’re into boating, fresh water, lakes and beaches, there’s no place better 5 months out of the year.

Winter sucks though. I haven’t been to the UP in a very long time but I get the feeling it is crumbling. Socially and economically.

I’ve lived and worked in some pretty ghetto places around Detroit and had good experiences. Unfortunately I also watched a lot of people around me ruin their lives hanging out in bars.

Wife and I were downtown last night and while there is this “New Detroit” vibe downtown... it’s still had feeling of lawlessness that I always liked... riding those battery powered scooter that litter the streets around... blowing red lights in front of cops... nobody cares...

Maybe I just kind of like places that suck.
    Maybe it’s because I just like “home”
    I don’t know... Michigan has been good to me... but it sucks for a lot of people
    I could see that being a good place for the stuff you pointed out. I realized around high school that I could give a shit about boating/water and had to be in the mountains. Colorado's weather was just a nice bonus-surprise, 'cause I really didn't know when I moved...

And the lack of biting insects (at least down here in the semi-arid portion of the state) really sealed the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I just want to be like "if that's what you want then save some cash, get a job, pack your car, and fucking go."
    If life for you is that simple and easy, count your blessings.