Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    If you count the house, cars, gas, food, gear and expendables I am probably somewhere below 10K per ski outting for my lifetime.

Reminds me of a work buddy years ago who was into bass fishy. I asked him what it cost him per fish caught and he came back with something like $38,000.00 per fish.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i am a ski bum kook
    aint bought a pass in the 19 ive been here,
    they give those away for free in exchange for skills
    do throw down $$$ for a bc hut trip every year though
    aint counted the days or the $$$ spent
    skiers ski
    wanna b pousers quantify
    i like stickers.
    Skifishbum is my hero.

I spend too much money, yet not enough, to ski quite a bit, yet never enough.

2, 3, 4 (small hill local / big hill wannabe), 6, 7, 8, 9, and I have an awesome sticker collection.
    Last edited by YoEddy; 09-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Who cares how the crow flies

1. Badass - Tabke, Kyle Miller, etc.
    2. Old, don't live near snow, don't give a fuck - Iceman, Tippster, etc.
    3. Lifelong committed skier - LemonBoy, AKPM
    4. Long Time Ski Towner - MtnLion, Tetons Posse
    5. Internet Legend - Hugh, Jer
    6. Weekend Warrior Hero - too many to list
    7. East Coast Legend - 90% of us
    8. Kooks - I'm calling you out - talk a big game about skiing, don't ski for shit

9. Insiders - employed in the ski industry. Don't know not skiing. TeleMike, Meadow Skipper
    10. Buster - gets his own category
    I've been mostly a 6 and a 7, although more recently a 9. Haven't tried to keep track of days on snow, as it never seems as many as it feels like and doesn't feel like the best motivator, but tried to get 30 in before Xmas when I moved to JXN last fall. May have gotten to 29 or so. I'd say two dawn patrols touring during the work week and one day touring on the weekend and one in resort. Rarely a full day, as if I haven't already worn my hips out, my GF wants nachos and drinks, and warmth. Have come to terms with the fact that I ski slow–like way slower than most people I ever ski with at JHMR. Like to do shitty little tricks off the side of the trail, generally don't bother with anything steeper than 40 degrees. Am usually the last one down and occasionally will catch my tip trying to hurry into the lift line. Can't ski stiff skis. Get most of my gear through Industry Relationships/gear testing these days, but probably a new boot or a new pair of skis/season. All my ski spending money last season went to getting the GF kitted out–beacon/shovel/probe, new jackets, boots, skis, skins, touring bindings. That had to be $1000-1500. Don't travel too much beyond regionally... might have just skied SLC a few times outside of staying in Jackson. Spending more on myself on bike stuff these days...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I've stopped counting days and gave up the consecutive months a while ago. But it's quite a bit.. 70/80 or so days this year... fewer than recent past. Never been brave enough to add up the $s.

At least 50% of decision to emigrate way back when was for closeness to skiing and sailing. Wasn't really aware at the time how good WA skiing was we had more in mind 4 hours to Whistler with some more local stuff available. We hardly ever sail now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by yugi View Post
    I think I didn't ski pow about 3 days - (one of those trips was to a ski resort during xmas drought in Eu).
    And then there was the day on coral reef "hard pow" at Monte Rosa, eh?

As long you get out as much as you can that is the important thing. I hate it when I see people who waste the winter away.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Nice one Foggy.

Definitely a weekend warrior (#6) at this point but overall a lifer (#3)

Gear - I only buy it if it breaks at this point. I have a few things to get rid of actually. I buy for quality and often get a deal. Average last 3 years = $500
    Passes - I buy an Aspen Classic Pass and then usually buy a handful of days wherever it snows (CB, Jackson, T-Ride, Utah), otherwise I hike = $500
    Travel - This is the big one. I still do some couch surfing but also now travel with my wife and am getting her into skiing outside of the I-70 corridor. Gas and maybe a flight to Utah = $1,500
    Days - I don't count but I am guessing I end up at about 20.

Price / Day = ~$100 - That's probably a little low and I made the math easy.

3 for sure, short-time 4, and 9 if you count volunteering for adaptive ski programs.

Mt Bachelor stats say 93 days on their lifts last year, plus 5 hiking. Would have been more but we moved mid season and my leash only extended to Home Depot for 10 days. It sucked when my commute went from 17 minutes to 48. No trips

Switched over the quiver from tele to AT/Alpine so had some dough involved - one pair of boots plus one pair of liners plus four pairs of (used) skis plus $100 for Binding Freedom inserts & tools for one combo AT/Tele rig. Three of said pairs came from maggots. And a Freeride Systems jacket to replace my 12YO TNF shell.

Only gear purchases this year - beside the exorbitant $869 season pass - will be new helmet & goggles, and maybe new bibs. And probably liners and footbeds. And maybe a pair of fatties with a short turn radius. And maybe a light fleece shirt and a light shell. Just got my annual sock replacements from Darn Tough so I'm good there...

Only sticker on my 20yo vehicle, racks, etc sez "Ullr Saves". Used to have a GSA "Believe" on it as well but it fell apart.

Edit to add - it hasn't always been this way. Many years when the kids were little or when I was traveling all the time for bidness, I got between 0-5 days.
    Last edited by TBS; 09-09-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Last season was my personal worst due to a relocation for education. No season pass, made it up 3 days, 2 on passes that were given to me. Bought a used helmet off a mag for less than $100. I don't think I'm worthy of any category.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Soul skier, in it for the turns and the friends.

Numbers wise I'm a 3,6,7. Usually around 50 days. My skiing is entirely mediocre.

Cost = who the fuck knows. Family of five beat up the checking account pretty good. Two older kids in college have transitioned to freestyle coaching and my wife has been instructing the last few years for passes and discounts.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    How bout those of us who never got past wannabe...and are now has-been wannabes?
    Lol... you can't be "has-been" if you are a "never-were". Sorry, but that's the policy. (Thx to Tootsie.)
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

#2 here. (my, that doesn't sound good).

Completely different climate than snow, but that's where the job is, and I love it (almost) as much as skiing, however it pays the bills very well thank you.

Most year average between 35-45 primarily thanks to business travel that tends to wind up at locales where customers are (Vancouver is a customer hot spot). Also spend a lot of time in SLC as there's relatives who store my gear, as does another bud at WB. Last year's total was 40 days.

Sadly, I have to pay for my own hotel, and my Marriott account has gone from >4m point to just about 1m due to Marriott Cottonwood, and Marriott Park City. In WB there's no Marriott, so it's the Hilton Whistler for me, and the staff from bellman to housekeepers all know my name after 10 years of it. They also store my gear so they keep me captive.

Bought my Mountain Collective passes the first day they've come out both years. Being a gear whore, let's figure overall the season costs me about $10-$12k.

#6 - probably 20 or so - in MT and MN... less than $1000 on gear/tix/travel/etc... Hoping to change the 6 to a 4 eventually and add about 3-4x as many days after moving out of flatlandia this year...

Just shelled out the dough for a season pass JHMR... so there is that.

#7, aspiring to be a #3.

80 days last year, 35 between two trips to Jackson (Dec/Jan and March/April), 10 at Squaw, 35 at Killington/Pico/Tuckerman (I live in Boston). Student passes at all three for a total of $1200. I got one or two plane tickets from frequent flyer miles, but toss in $2k ish to cover the rest. $80-100 in gas per weekend in VT comes to almost $1k for the season. I started skiing a lot more toward the end of the season (rather than snowboarding), so I bought a good pair of boots and pair of skis for a total of $1200. A half share in a ski house at Killington was $750. Lodging at random places (mostly the hostel in Jackson) came to another $1k-1500.

This coming year is going to be expensive, as I have about 300 days on the gear I bought four seasons ago when I really got in to this, and it's all starting to show signs of needing replacement. I need a new helmet, shell, couple pairs of gloves and goggles, and lots of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Old & slow w/ 80 days/yr. for the last 25 yrs. If it ain't free or cheap i don't need it.

Would love to see comparison between % of posters who are weekend warriors in 2014 and the same % in 2004. The funny thing is how much closer to EpicSki this forum has grown, so close they're almost indistinguishable, except the firm snow focus at Epic and soft snow focus here, and the technique focus at Epic and meaningless gear trivia focus here. Would be nice to have a Tardis to go back in time to when TGR had useful tech info and few e-skiers, along with the humor and freewheeling posting style. Of course, then spindrift would have a stroke because of all the political inCorrectness and would probably find his dick rotted off and balls retreated into his abdomen. I guess someone has to be the Hugo Schwyzer of ski forums, though.

So I skied 96 days last year, which is definitely low considering I typically pass 125. However, 84 days were human powered, so I'm alright with that.

As far as money spent, last year wasn't bad. A new beacon and a second whippet were my main two expenses. Oh, I guess I spent a lot on gas driving up and down 395.

I'm #1! Just kidding... well I guess I'm either 1 or 8 depending on the circumstances and your point of view. Either way I'm always a 3.

Over here, we have a 20-something who grew up skiing in the Adirondacks on weekends (and some I don't-really-need-to-go-to-school-today days), turned teaching into an afterschool high school job (free skiing), got involved in bringing buses of drunk college kids to the northeast to go skiing on weekends (free skiing again), moved to Vermont after college and got a job at Stowe (more free skiing), then after four years moved to Jackson and got a job there (continue free skiing).

So, apart from moving costs and a $1 PBR every day, I'd say I'm coming out on top on the paying-for-skiing game. I'd say that puts me at a... #3, #7 and #9. W00t!

I also enjoy my sticker collection from the 90's, skiing better than boys, and herding cats.
    I may have slept with you last night, but that doesn't mean I'll ski with you today.

-

When I want advice about a good Planet of the Apes film or maybe how to get the resin out of my bong, I'll come to you okay? But I am not going to take romantic advice from somebody who cannot spell romantic or advice... or bong.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Would love to see comparison between % of posters who are weekend warriors in 2014 and the same % in 2004. The funny thing is how much closer to EpicSki this forum has grown, so close they're almost indistinguishable, except the firm snow focus at Epic and soft snow focus here, and the technique focus at Epic and meaningless gear trivia focus here. Would be nice to have a Tardis to go back in time to when TGR had useful tech info and few e-skiers, along with the humor and freewheeling posting style. Of course, then spindrift would have a stroke because of all the political inCorrectness and would probably find his dick rotted off and balls retreated into his abdomen. I guess someone has to be the Hugo Schwyzer of ski forums, though.
    Would love to see a paragraph or two in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    If it ain't free or cheap i don't need it.
    Ski gear or women?

first season under 100in a decade. Had 75-80 except for 20-13 when I was doctor banned for three quarters of season. Still had45 that year.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Would love to see a paragraph or two in there.
    Good for you, you would love that. That's awesome. I post from a computer not a Dick Tracy Wristphone and I read lots of long novels. Unlike you who thinks and posts in 4 word bites. Thanks for being a 7 year old, we don't have enough immature assholes on TGR, so you're helping on that.

Weekend Warrior. 13 days of of lift riding.
    I hope to double it this year as I have a season pass at our local hill with free days at other resorts. I will also be producing content for our local hill's social media, so that will add some days to this years count.

gear-Craigslist carvers. will prolly upgrade to a new-used pair of all mountains this year.

I fucking love stickers. They cover up the hail damage and scratches on my rig.
    I binged pretty hard on skis last year. Didn't count how much because I use all of them regularly. The gear collection is adequate.
    Unlike most, I now must pay for my passes, but it's worth it. I didn't quantify that, either, primarily because they are all frequency cards and the like. Lots of free days on those cards help. With a couple of backcountry or pre-season resort-country days, I came in around 50, I think? Not sure, exactly - didn't count. Taking days off for trips and such help, but I'm usually relegated to weekend warrior status now or a morning or afternoon session during the week.

I didn't read that number ranking whatev list thing. Fuck it and go skiing with your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Unlike most, I now must pay for my passes
    i really doubt "most" are getting passes for free

or, is my weekend warrior showing?