Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    haven't used the corvus in deep pow (I have better tools for that), but in 5-20cm it works quite well...

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    haven't used the corvus in deep pow (I have better tools for that), but in 5-20cm it works quite well...
    Alright thanks, I'll look it up. More than 10-20 cm of fresh is not what I get every day anyway so it will do.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    I ski the 183 corvus, which seems more or less of that actual size... certainly it does not ski any shorter or shorter than the 185 mantra...
    Good to know, thanks! Mine arrived today but I haven't had the chance to take them out of the box yet. Can't wait.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Good to know, thanks! Mine arrived today but I haven't had the chance to take them out of the box yet. Can't wait.
    Please report back - saw a pair and the shape looks money.
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post
    Please report back - saw a pair and the shape looks money.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Solid first day on the Corvus. A few inches of heavy snow in Northern VT over ultra firm made for fun but variable conditions. I've kicked a lot of skis to the curb after a few runs and the Black Crows kept me happy all day on some pretty interesting conditions.

The Corvus is just a super fun ski. The flex is really dialed and its ability to charge while remaining light weight is impressive. The ski will go as fast as you want, but also pivots and makes different turn shapes easily. Not as good on ice as a ski with metal but very favorable performance in mixed conditions.

My only complaint so far is that I wish they were a little longer - but that's not the skis fault. I got the 183 and ideally a 186 would be available. Frankly, I only noticed this because the ski likes to charge and at higher speeds some more length would be helpful. I mounted my pair -1 from recommended, which according to Black Crows means I am -11 from true center. I did this to match the mounting point with several pairs of Volkls I have, and also to make up for the slightly shorter length then I'd ideally ski. Very happy with my choice as someone who likes a very traditional mount.

Length aside, I think I'll hang on to these ski for a while. They are a great resort pow, variable, who knows what you are going to get kind of ski. Like an old Gotama. Very impressed so far with Black Crows.

Some Atris Stoke Pics ! I was in Germany/Austria last week and impulse-bought these at the last minute. I'll only get to hand-f*ck them until next season.

Smails do you have a green jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Smails do you have a green jacket?
    I don't have a green jacket but I was a Stowe today.

Solid first day on the Corvus. A few inches of heavy snow in Northern VT over ultra firm made for fun but variable conditions. I've kicked a lot of skis to the curb after a few runs and the Black Crows kept me happy all day on some pretty interesting conditions.

The Corvus is just a super fun ski. The flex is really dialed and its ability to charge while remaining light weight is impressive. The ski will go as fast as you want, but also pivots and makes different turn shapes easily. Not as good on ice as a ski with metal but very favorable performance in mixed conditions.

My only complaint so far is that I wish they were a little longer - but that's not the skis fault. I got the 183 and ideally a 186 would be available. Frankly, I only noticed this because the ski likes to charge and at higher speeds some more length would be helpful. I mounted my pair -1 from recommended, which according to Black Crows means I am -11 from true center. I did this to match the mounting point with several pairs of Volkls I have, and also to make up for the slightly shorter length then I'd ideally ski. Very happy with my choice as someone who likes a very traditional mount.

Length aside, I think I'll hang on to these ski for a while. They are a great resort pow, variable, who knows what you are going to get kind of ski. Like an old Gotama. Very impressed so far with Black Crows.
    Thanks - ski an Fx104, tried the non-metal 105 in 189, was fine until 5" of fluff was piled up and I was back on the 104's. fondled the Corvus, didn't get to ski it - shape looked good but wasn't sure of its ability to handle chop.
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

Quote Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post
    Thanks - ski an Fx104, tried the non-metal 105 in 189, was fine until 5" of fluff was piled up and I was back on the 104's. fondled the Corvus, didn't get to ski it - shape looked good but wasn't sure of its ability to handle chop.
    I tour on the FX104. I like it a lot, but I have little doubt the Corvus is a better ski in chop and variable. The FX 104 has a much more traditional feel and seemed less versatile to me. Probably better on hard snow and ice, but not chop.

I tour on the FX104. I like it a lot, but I have little doubt the Corvus is a better ski in chop and variable. The FX 104 has a much more traditional feel and seemed less versatile to me. Probably better on hard snow and ice, but not chop.
    Gospel truth right there. I've owned a katana, and a Cochise and the Corvus is far and away my favorite ski I've ever owned in that category. I have skied a FX 104. I found it stable. But maybe uninspiring.

Lots of camber, decent early rise. Best ski I've ever had in anything over 1 1/2 inches. Less than that and hardpack, not ideal. Wait for it to soften up. Even soft groomies are fine.

I do recommend a tune though. I think mine came base high. They were downright terrifying on ice before a tune.

Atris vs Corvus, per Black Crows website & pics,

108 vs 109 underfoot.
    18 radius vs 21 radius
    Atris has more camber, more tip, more tail

... I shoulda convinced my pal to impulse-buy the Corvus and we could compare/swap.
    However, he is not manly enough to ski pink skis, since getting ridiculed for his BMX118's !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    Gospel truth right there. I've owned a katana, and a Cochise and the Corvus is far and away my favorite ski I've ever owned in that category. I have skied a FX 104. I found it stable. But maybe uninspiring.

Lots of camber, decent early rise. Best ski I've ever had in anything over 1 1/2 inches. Less than that and hardpack, not ideal. Wait for it to soften up. Even soft groomies are fine.

I do recommend a tune though. I think mine came base high. They were downright terrifying on ice before a tune.
    I could see that - i like to call it "neutral" i.e.. its not going to help or hurt. Had the Cochise as well (camber and no camber versions) - might like the 104 by a hair. Sadly no 183's anymore about.

^^^ bump .... anybody actually ride the Atris yet ?

I've been riding mine all season, best all around multi condition ski I have... and I have 10+ pairs of very current models. I weigh 180ish, 6'1" and these have excellent edge hold, stability, like to go fast and plenty of float at the recommended mount line. These skis have plenty of energy to them.

I've now had about 10 days on my Corvus 183s, skiing in both Colorado and Vermont. I really really like these skis.

I have skied just about every type of snow with these, other than deep pow which is not what I would use them for anyway. They are without question the most versatile ski I've been on. They are equally good in variable conditions as they are ripping groomers. They are even fairly suitable on ice, but only with a fresh tune. They really nailed the flex on these as well as the rocker/camber profile. The tail rocker in particular is super dialed as the tail is there when you need it but rockered enough to easily breakaway when you don't need it.

My only wish is that the next size up was not 193. I am 6'1" and have my 183's mounted -1 from recommended. I'd love that set up for east coast and then a 188ish ski for the west. It's likely I will buy a second pair, which might be the 193 or perhaps the Atris 189.

Black Crows really nailed it.

$$

Everything coming out of blackcrow is phenomenal. Especially the Atirs. Seriously just get them, BC can do no wrong right now.

Atris feedback

FYI, just returned a few weeks ago from Japan (Hakuba), demo'ed the armada ARV Ti, volkl 108, DPS Wailer 112 Pure, Corvus and Atris.

Huge fan of the Wailer in all conditions from hardback, ice, crud and slush to 12" of fresh. My only criticism was the wailer's 'speed limit' when charging. The 108 is great fun as a rocker ski, but felt like it lacked edge hold and spun out in the last 1/3 of turns.

Found a little store that stocked & sold BC's and had to try - despite all but settling on the DPS boards.

Loved the Corvus despite losing one in a foot of sidecountry pow, but for me, the Atris was just a bit more playful and versatile than the Corvus - likely due to the sharper radius and twin beaks/tips. Ended up settling on the Atris and buying a pair. For me - they have an ideal blend of power, edge hold, stiffness and lightweight playfulness.

Having also demo'ed blizzard bodacious, Cochise, volkl mantra and atomic vantage 100s in whistler in January, I'd also say that the Atris trumps these too - it floats in deep stuff as well or better than the mantra, atomics and the Cochise and charges as hard on crud and groomers as the bodacious.

my opinion is to definitely hit these if you can find them. I bought a pair as I think they are the best all-around ski, with virtually no compromise.

good luck
    Last edited by Tasmanator; 03-28-2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Got a good deal on some closeout Corvus's in 183, hoping I can get out on them for a day or two before all the snow melts!
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Had a chance to finally ski the atris in early april, but was not very impressed. My 2016 corvus were more solid and inspired more confidence. Please always remember that the 2016 corvus is much more accessible than previous versions. Just my 2c.

Verbier: is your Corvus the pink one, or the new grey one ?

Naturally the Atris (108) and Corvus (109) are designed for different purposes/conditions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackcrows_2016_corvus.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	181890

Name:	screen-shot-2016-02-04-at-7-29-38-am.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	181888

Got my Corvus in the mail today, looks like a nice shape, medium flex in the tip to medium+ underbody. Hopefully they don't kick my ass.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by ARL67 View Post
    Verbier: is your Corvus the pink one, or the new grey one ?

Naturally the Atris (108) and Corvus (109) are designed for different purposes/conditions.

Name:	blackcrows_2016_corvus.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	181890

Name:	screen-shot-2016-02-04-at-7-29-38-am.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	181888
    The 2016 pink one. The grey is 2017. Take care the 2015 (totally different beast) was reddish/pink too.

I have been on the red Corvus for last 2 seasons just mounted up 2016 pinks, you say the red is different beast, was not aware they changed the ski other than graphics. Did they soften up the pink, dimensions and turn radius is the same.