Page 77 of 190 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 4750
    ALLTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PILLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mark Abma like, rail- slide a Firetruck! PAT SUCKS!

The bowl runout was world class today.

All missing were pulled out alive and ok. I know it said the old man was under the chimney where the house used to be, but it doesn't really say how the other 2 survived an hour or 2 in the snow. The only thing I can think of is that, like the old man, they were in the wreckage and had a room-sized air pocket or other open topped situation where fresh air was coming in.
    There are also 2 skiers missing outside Snowbowl.
    http://missoulian.com/news/local/upd...9bb2963f4.html
    Busy day for first responders. Why the fuck would you go out of bounds right now? I mean, it says avy conditions aren't that bad, but it's been snowing for a week and the 2 missing are not from the area, although they were with someone who is (and is not missing).
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Did a little dawn patrol in the howling winds this morning at 6 am. We ascended the M trail and made it close to the windsock before we had to turn around for work. Snow was pretty wind fucked for 1/2 of the decent, lower skied pretty well and not rocks were hit.

I was on the call for the avalanche and was there for 2 of the 3 rescues. The kid was found about an hour into the search and the retired professor about 2 hours. The child was ~ 3 feet under the snow, did not appear to be in a "void" and very close to the house. The professor was in a void space under a chimney. Probing with numerous civilians/volunteers and SAR/Fire was a great success all things considered. Conditions were difficult with the temperatures, wind and large amount of home debris spread over the a 100 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sentinel.jpg 
Views:	808 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	151658  

Thanks for your efforts!

As someone who was on scene, can you comment on how deep the debris pile was? Any rumors on origin of the slide? Missoulian last reported that the police interviewed a group of snowboarders but let them go.

Last edited by totaliboard; 03-01-2014 at 01:05 AM.
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    Bowl was off the hook today. No wind up there, no lifelines, super deep. The kinda day that you definitely want to spend arguing about road width on the internet.
    what, you're superior for being at the Bowl yesterday? how does that work? maybe I should count the days when I was there and you weren't and the skiing was "off the hook" as you wannabe-hipsters say. I've had plenty of great days there, and chose to stay home today. Because it's not a competition where I need to brag about being there. Holy fuck.

At least you did a good job triggering that slide that wiped out a house. Nice work. That was "off the hook."

See, I can be a whigger (a/k/a hipster wannabe) too. I probably know about 1000 times more ghetto slang than you, Mr Whitebread.

Haha too easy. You mad though?

Thanks for you efforts, FoS, it must feel really good to find/rescue someone alive. Still don't get how the kid survived without a void space or anything. Did he seem alive and alert and all that? Truly amazing this whole thing. Shoveling the snowdrifts out of the sidewalk is gonna be fun today.
    No longer stuck.

"A large slab avalanche was triggered by a snowboarder near the top of Mount Jumbo yesterday afternoon. The avalanche ran to the valley floor, destroyed two homes and buried 3 people. A large rescue effort consisting of local first response teams, law enforcement, Search and Rescue personnel and at least 100 nearby residents quickly mobilized to assist with search efforts. All 3 victims were found alive and transported to local hospitals.

The City of Missoula Police and Fire Departments are conducting an investigation into this tragic event."

http://www.missoulaavalanche.org/

Oh, they're calling it human triggered for sure? huh. I'd hate to be that human. That would just be depressing.
    No longer stuck.

In the Slide Zone thread, bigsky406 pointed out that mt jumbo is closed right now for wintering elk herds, so that makes anyone on that mountain a trespasser and a giant douchenozzle.
    Missoulian says cops are basically saying no comment.

In other news, lost skiers who went outside Snowbowl have been contacted by Missoula SaR and are alive and well after a (probably) very cold night. The search has resumed. If they just keep going downhill won't they pop out on Grant Creek Road or (possibly) 93?
    No longer stuck.

Just from town it looks like a ton of snow has collected in the gullies on Jumbo and Sentinel. Story has also made national news so the pressure is gonna be on to go after the boarders that caused it.

Just from town it looks like a ton of snow has collected in the gullies on Jumbo and Sentinel. Story has also made national news so the pressure is gonna be on to go after the boarders that caused it.
    Time to break out the avalauncher.

heard about this earlier today and just wow.

holy shit creaky fossil is a miserable fucking person. Oh well sounds like it has been a good season for the bowl though. miss that place sometimes.

Hope they found everyone and they are ok.

More proof that snowboarders are arseholes
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Hope they found everyone and they are ok.

More proof that KIDS ARE KIDS
    FYP

Everyone is fine, college students got a little frostbite and the kids who started the slide are SO EXTREMELY LUCKY that no one was killed. Super hard life lesson but I doubt they'll be prosecuted, similar to the kids who burned up sentinel a few years ago. This town is in the mix these days

Missoulian is reporting the woman has now died of the injuries. Plus the authorities have closed off the area again because of the danger of another avalanche today.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/wom...a4bcf887a.html

Bummer. Rest in peace.

''plenty of great days there"

This is so sad Prosecutors will now be contacted to determine whether or not to press charges on those involved. And to compound the sadness are neighbors living in anxiety with potentially some of the worst conditions their backyards have ever seen. Stressful times in the garden city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post

I am such an arsehole
    FYP Douchebag
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Single Track View Post
    Holy shit, 406. Did you not just reference that slide on Jumbo in the '90s?

Prayers to those affected in the Rattlesnake. Wow.
    Yeah, crazy...

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    With the awesome snow pack and the impending end of a great season, I'm sure many Missoula locals are ready to climb the Bowl for some sweet corn this spring.

Last spring some of the local maggots were dismayed that the bottom of the outrun was plowed shortly after the season ended, and the paranoid believed it was done just to spoil the end of their top to bottom post season runs.

I explained then, that it was likely to make work on Snowbowl's zip line project possible, and I was met with denial that such a project existed. Well perhaps by now all who ski The Bowl know of the project, which is evidenced by the cables running over the outrun, and the stanchion on the knoll at the bottom of the Griz lift.

Anyway, I'm posting a heads up to local maggotdom, that sadly, as soon as Snowbowl closes, the bottom of the outrun will be plowed again, to allow the maintenance crew to attempt to complete the project before Snowbowl opens for summer operations. I was told that I should expect this by one of the crew.

It isn't because Pat is trying to spoil our fun, or hates hikers, or any other reason than because finishing this project is a priority for Snowbowl, so they will plow the snow so they can drive up to where they are going to be working.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is still an awesome snowpack, we'll just have to carry our skis further up and down the hill than is convenient.

You may now commence with the usual Pat and Brad bashing, and talk of seeking legal injunction, to prevent this travesty from happening, if that suits you.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

oh come on now. this is no time for honesty!

besides, I'm TOTALLY entitled to expect to start skinning wherever I've imagined that start spot will be. and I'm gonna whine and complain on TGR when I find that I can't start skinning from wherever I park, and I'm gonna blame Pat and Brad and Ronnie and everyone else but my own lack of any sort of grasp on reality.

I moved to Missoula with a detailed fantasy in mind regarding what it would be like, and I'm sticking to that fantasy, regardless of what reality throws my way!

Haha too easy. You mad though?
    yeah, you "made me" post that and yeah, I'm "mad." but only using your definition of "mad," which is not like the accepted definition found in dictionaries.

good job on the reading miscomprehension.