Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why have I broken every tire changing tool I had???

Old, brittle, user error, should I go back to popping tubes and screwing the rim with a screwdriver?

What is the tool of choice around these parts to get tires off the damn rim??

This dumbass thanks you in advance.

Park makes some nice metal units. Motorcycle shops all carry metal tools that are cheaper than park. I'm a fan of the yellow plastic pedros in my trail tool kit.

Are you getting the levers too far apart to start with? Sometimes three levers are good, especially with stiff DH wire bead tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

It has been a good decade since I changed a bike tire so as far as technique goes I don't have a clue. Youtube just provided a video about a Quik Stick.

Was tinkering with the bike last night and want to put some slicks on for now to get some miles in. So in the midst of beers and breaking things, I worked on the bike a bit and now it is un operational.

Hell, still re learning how to ride the damn thing too!

Technique is wrong perhaps? Try to get the bead of the tire to drop down into the center of the rim. Then work on the opposite side, you may not need levers at all. I always thought my RhynoLites were hard to get the bead on, but even on those I just use one lever to get it started.

I'd still go with the metal levers if they don't mess up your rim too much. I seem to break the Park blue ones. Metals ones do fine and the one built in to my multi-tool works good too.

These are legit. I've had the same pair for 6 years...

Pedros or nothing.

Metal? Was always told not to use as rims no likey.

Pedros look like everything else I broke, why these?

Pedros makes a baddass moto-style metal lever, with a big spoon shaped head.

However, I rarely ever 'need' tire levers.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Another vote for Pedro's
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

I got a double ended spoon shaped set like the pedros ,about 6" long ,I had em for 30+ years ,used em on 4.50 motocross knobbies ,they work great for bike tires too

get real tire irons ,metal is fine

screw drivers are just so wrong ...guarranteed to phuck the tube

if you need a lever often, you are doing it wrong.

for the home, the park "spoon" above is the call.

for on the trail/in the pack, the intense levers are the call.

all the stupid little plastic ones suck. and if you are damaging a rim from the lever, its YOUR fault, not the levers
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    if you need a lever often, you are doing it wrong.
    After breaking em all, I figured this one out.

for the home, the park "spoon" above is the call.

for on the trail/in the pack, the intense levers are the call.
    Sounds good! Thank you all.

all the stupid little plastic ones suck. and if you are damaging a rim from the lever, its YOUR fault, not the levers
    Yes, plastic did suck, figured this one out too! Mentioned rim damage from a screwdriver, which I have not used and won't.

Una mas para Pedros

The Pedros are wider and alot sturdier than the rest. They are the best, and if you're a hamfist you'll regret destroying your rim with a metal spoon.

It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Damnit J, now the kid will pick pink ones for me!

do what emtnate said to make it easier for yourself, make sure both beads are unseated and sitting in the middle groove of the rim. Since it is a slightly smaller diameter, you'll have just enough more slack to easily remove the tire with probably no lever at all. If you are talking dh tires, then you may still need a small plastic lever

all the stupid little plastic ones suck.

VOTE FOR PEDRO!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    These are legit. I've had the same pair for 6 years...

Damn in all my years I've never seen those. Mini moto spoons would be great. When my Park ones die or get lost I know what to replace them with.

These from pedros are good, I haven't broken one yet, they sometimes are a bit big though..

The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

I just let my nails grow super long and use many layers of nail polish.

Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    Technique is wrong perhaps? Try to get the bead of the tire to drop down into the center of the rim. Then work on the opposite side, you may not need levers at all. I always thought my RhynoLites were hard to get the bead on, but even on those I just use one lever to get it started.

I'd still go with the metal levers if they don't mess up your rim too much. I seem to break the Park blue ones. Metals ones do fine and the one built in to my multi-tool works good too.
    I second this about getting the bead into the center of the rim. I did not even know this technique until I started dirt biking ten years ago. It is impossible to stretch a dirt bike tire over a rim without doing this. With a mtn bike you can force it on, but that is why you are breaking levers. I have no problem with plastic levers IF I even need to use one.

I have a set of these: plastic levers with metal cores. They work great, no finesse required, which is good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Pedros or nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Another vote for Pedro's
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Una mas para Pedros
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    The Pedros are wider and alot sturdier than the rest. They are the best, and if you're a hamfist you'll regret destroying your rim with a metal spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    VOTE FOR PEDRO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    These from pedros are good, I haven't broken one yet, they sometimes are a bit big though..
    We have 8 work benches at the shop I'm at, all 8 have Pedros levers at them. I've broken lots of levers, Pedros included, but I've broken far fewer Pedros levers than any other kind, and I use them much more often as well.

x9 for the pedros. broken 1 once, but it was my fault. overall pretty solid plastic lever

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Old, brittle, user error, should I go back to popping tubes and screwing the rim with a screwdriver?

What is the tool of choice around these parts to get tires off the damn rim??

This dumbass thanks you in advance.
    My guess is you have trek Matrix rims!

In their heyday I had multiple customers buy wheelsets because no known tire lever would work on them!