Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boot-fitting in SLC

I've searched for a while to see if there's an old thread about that but no luck.
    Can anyone recommend a good shop for boot fitting / custom soles in or around SLC? I've been to a couple of places in the past and they did an OK job but didn't seem too involved... Now that my retarded feet have started to affect my back in a real bad way I need to deal with someone who really knows their stuff. If you've had good experience somewhere, let me know!
    Boots are salomon if that matters.

BWAH! I search for "boot fitting" and gave up. Should have tried boot fitter...
    Thanks for the link!

Seconded on the Sport Loft. I went there at the beginning of the season for some new boots. My feet are pretty normal, so I didn't really need any custom work, but I felt confident they'd do a great job if I had needed much work. Expect to leave with a much lighter wallet though.

Have you tired Surefoot?

Another vote for Sports Loft if you've got the cash. I was having horrible foot pain so I decided it was finally time for some real boot fitting. I went to the Sports Loft and they did a great job. My foot pain is mostly gone. As Unitofstuff said, be prepared for the cost. I thought I was prepared to spend a grip of money, but when they told me the bill was $1200 I almost passed out.

I vote Sports Loft also, pricey but worth every penny... they do it right.

Surefoot in PC, steve owne is worth the trip. Call to set something up with him, 801 649 6016

Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    Another vote for Sports Loft if you've got the cash. I was having horrible foot pain so I decided it was finally time for some real boot fitting. I went to the Sports Loft and they did a great job. My foot pain is mostly gone. As Unitofstuff said, be prepared for the cost. I thought I was prepared to spend a grip of money, but when they told me the bill was $1200 I almost passed out.
    Is that with or with-out the cost of new boots, because if it is without what would be quite an enormous amount of money to get a boot to fit properly. Maybe you bought custom foot beds too? Still a lot. Truth be-told I think it is always worth spending the bucks to get the boots to fit right. Sometimes it takes awhile to dial it in. It is extremely important to find the right guy/gal who knows what they are doing. Word of mouth is a good way to go. There are many tricks of the trade and the good folks know them all. If you don't get the results you want, then don't be afraid to try someone else. Also, be sure to give really, really good feedback to your fitter. Think about how to explain your particular problem really well. It is important to precisely communicate the issue and then the fitter will be able to get you a good result.

Another vote for Earl and Jeremy being very good but very expensive. Anyone particularly good at the Deep Powder House?

I thought Steve at Surefoot in PC was good too. I usualy brought in some beer when I needed work done and the guys seemed to appreciate that..they even shared!

I cant remember the name off hand, but the ski shop in Albion base lodge does good boot work from the few friends that have had boot work done. Also the shop at the tram plaza at the bird.

I think the advantage to both these spots is that you can get boot tweaked, go ski a few runs, and go back and have it tweaked again right when you know what the problem is. Otherwise if you go in the valley its...boot fit...then go skiing on weekend...oh doesnt feel right, back to shop in valley and hopefully you can remember exactly where it hurt while skiing.

Good luck!

John Feig is a great bootfitter/physical therapist. He doesn't work in a shop, but he's convenient to both canyons. PM me for his number.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

sports loft. they charge MSRP and its ridiculously expensive for the footbeds and bootwork, but it seems to be the most professional spot in slc.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Explosion View Post
    John Feig is a great bootfitter/physical therapist. He doesn't work in a shop, but he's convenient to both canyons. PM me for his number.
    I second that. John is very good and worth every penny. His approach is very different to what you get at a shop. All I can say is bear with his program (in my case it was listen and learn) and you will get the result you are after.

another vote for sport loft, early and jeremy know their stuff

Quote Originally Posted by skew View Post
    I second that. John is very good and worth every penny. His approach is very different to what you get at a shop. All I can say is bear with his program (in my case it was listen and learn) and you will get the result you are after.
    Pretty much. It takes patience to get 'em dialed, but it's worth it. Mine still need a little work, too bad he's so busy.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

I went to the Sports Loft yesterday and talked to Jeremy. Ended up having some orthotics made for my boots after he confirmed what the PT was saying: my foot is so flat I'm getting close to walking on the bone.

I told him right away that I had no money and that I knew they were way expensive so I just wanted an estimate. He spent a good 45 minutes figuring out what I needed and then told me what it would cost (a lot) and that I could walk out of the door with no charge if it was out of my budget.
    He's super professional and not pushy about trying to make you part with your cash. I decided to sack up and he proceeded to turn my boots into a pleasant comfy experience, recommended some street shoes to wear to prevent further damage, hooked me up with a PT he works with so he can know exactly what he needs to build into my everyday soles...

I see how it would be easy to spend $1200 on just a boot-fitting. These guys are beyond pricey and the clientele in the shop is all spyder outfits and $2000 pair of skis. A guy sitting next to me didn't even blink when they quoted him a pair of impact pros + fitting for $1400, which almost made me shit my pants. That being said, they really work with you as opposed to putting you on the heater with generic soles and then sending you home. And in the end, they're still less expensive and as professional as most docs.

I know, nice blog, I'm just so stoked I might be able to get back on skis by the end of the season...

I guess I got lucky on the Sport Loft... I came in early season and told them I'm a student, I need something cheap-ish, and they gave me a model from three years ago that with the fitting ran $550. I'm pretty happy with them.

When I told them Level Nine had the same pair of skiis for cheap I got a good price on a pair of older skiis too. I mean, they were a little more than LN's price, but not much, and they mounted a buddy's binding for free.

So I was pretty happy with them. Maybe now that the season is on they're out of old season gear? Dunno. If you're on a budget it's worth asking.

There's Daleboot too. They make all their own boots and they told me they run from $600-$800.

bump for trying to get new boots fit to my feet for around $50 or less

Sports Den is the only place that seemed to fit within my budget. Any beta on what kind of job they do?

Earl told me $250-$300, thats about as much as my boots cost!

Superior (Christie's on the tram plaza) told me $100 or so

John Feig is an option, and I would go with him on Nathan's rec, but he hasn't returned my call yet and I want to get these puppies fit today!

I have had fairly good experiences with one guy at Sports Den (Nicolas maybe?), everyone else I've dealt with there has been clueless or an ass (or both), granted all the bad experiences were in past years

sports den. i just got fitted for a pair of lange banshees, had them molded, footbeds, and all for about 400 dollars. ask for brad. he knows his shit

Quote Originally Posted by AltaAndy View Post
    bump for trying to get new boots fit to my feet for around $50 or less

Sports Den is the only place that seemed to fit within my budget. Any beta on what kind of job they do?

Earl told me $250-$300, thats about as much as my boots cost!

Superior (Christie's on the tram plaza) told me $100 or so

John Feig is an option, and I would go with him on Nathan's rec, but he hasn't returned my call yet and I want to get these puppies fit today!
    bump cause i'm in the same low-budget boat.
    anything on mountain at snowbird would be great, anyone have any experience with christy's?

Holy jesus these might be the most absurd prices for boot fitting services I've ever seen!!! What in the world are they doing to your boot, and is it taking 3-4 hours? If not, you're paying the guy almost $100 an hour. Half the shit they're doing is NOT that complicated to do.

Also, about SureFoot, don't get them! They're a very primitive insole design and because the imprint of your foot is taken with your weight on your foot, they don't support your foot from collapsing, they support it after it collapses. I spent quite a bit on a pair and they're pretty much garbage. Even a decent boot fitter should be able to make you something better.

Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    bump cause i'm in the same low-budget boat.
    anything on mountain at snowbird would be great, anyone have any experience with christy's?
    My friend bought a new pair and had them custom fit at Christy's. She raves about how great of a job they did.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky