Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Roofnest https://roofnest.com/

Sorry, not really an Ecamper conversion but a nice hard shell pop up, roof top tent.
    Not interested in a RTT. I want something like a Westfalia but not a VW. There are a bunch in AU/NZ on rental Toyota vans.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    btw liked your interview (and pic!) in powder this month
    Thanks! Fun times.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I am and will pm. Thanks. Even if you were in a 3k range some of those stupid rooftop tents cost near that much for way shittier build. This is full on win.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Nice work single. If had some cash laying around I'd be pretty interested in this for my 2000 tundra as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Not interested in a RTT. I want something like a Westfalia but not a VW. There are a bunch in AU/NZ on rental Toyota vans.

Thanks! Fun times.
    Yeah, I edited that. I didn't realize what the UM Ecampers was until I googled.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    How about a pop-top that can be installed on vans, a la Ursa Minor's Ecamper for the Honda Element? I'd love a pop-top on my Previa.
    Our top could totally be installed on a van if you got someone to do the fab work, for us to do it would probably be too much money to invest in a previa, but there are a lot of fab shops that might be willing?

That's pretty cool. What makes it worth 2+ times what a Roofnest costs? Not trying to be a dick but most people don't need something that will withstand 'desert racing'.
    Well, a bunch of reasons actually. I'll list them for ya.

• Our system at 5k is not a RTT. It is a camper with a removable panelized floor that enables you to have tons of standing room in a ~52" square interior living space. There is not a cheaper or better option on the market right now, even a Xingtai Hongyuan (whoops, I mean roofnest) tent on a traditional topper is more expensive.
    • Roofnest is a chinese made and designed product simply rebranded for an increased price. You can literally call up the same factory and begin a competing company. This one is probably the same manufacturer as roof nest in fact.
    • You can load our structure with 100's of pounds of gear, lumber or steel on our system. No chance with a fiberglass shell.
    • Every component in our system (fabric, panels, hinges) are replaceable and will be sold in our web store on release. You should be able to service this thing indefinitely if you smash it into a tree, or your garage, or your dog tears up the tent sides.
    • Our standalone RTT will be comparably priced to the roofnest, so this whole point is a bit moot.
    • Because it is designed to be thrashed offroad, means it will last even longer if you don't use it that way.
    • We are also made in the USA, using actual name brand parts and machined components. Completely different quality level than anything currently offered anywhere.
    • We are the same weight as the roofnest system for our standalone tent, and much stronger.

I can keep going, but I hope the point is made. I can list off a number of RTT manufacturers you should support before giving your money to a drop shipping company that just puts stickers on a product you can buy cheaper on aliexpress.

Those companies are:

• Maggiolina
    • Autohome
    • Eezi-Awn
    • Alu-Cab

That said, I still believe in our product because it is better. But YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    dope! i like that co's are tinkering around more with this stuff. would love to have one of your products someday
    Thanks B-bear
    Last edited by single; 10-24-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Our top could totally be installed on a van if you got someone to do the fab work.

Well, a bunch of reasons actually. I'll list them for ya.

• Our system at 5k is not a RTT. It is a camper with a removable panelized floor that enables you to have tons of standing room in a ~52" square interior living space. Totally enough to change, or to sit on a couch that can be made from the panels of the bed, framework included in that 5k pricepoint. There is not a cheaper or better option on the market right now, even a Xingtai Hongyuan (whoops, I mean roofnest) tent on a traditional topper is more expensive.
    • Made in USA out of quality components, Roofnest is chinese made and designed and rebranded by roofnest for an increased price. You can literally call up the same factory and begin a competing company. This one is probably the same manufacturer as roof nest in fact.
    • You can load the roof with 100's of pounds of gear, lumber or steel on our system. No chance with a fiberglass shell.
    • Every component in our system (fabric, panels, hinges) are replaceable and will be sold in our web store on release. You should be able to service this thing indefinitely.
    • Our RTT will be comparably priced to the roofnest, so this whole point is a bit moot.
    • Because it is designed to be thrashed offroad, means it will last even longer if you don't use it that way.
    • We are also made in the USA, using actual name brand parts and machined components. Completely different quality level than anything currently offered anywhere.
    • We are the same weight as the roofnest system, and also a structural roofrack.

I can keep going, but I hope the point is made. I can list off a number of RTT manufacturers you should support before giving your money to a drop shipping company that just puts stickers on a product you can buy cheaper on aliexpress.

Those companies are:

• Maggiolina
    • Columbus Autohome
    • Eezi-Awn
    • Alu-Cab

That said, I still believe in our product because it is better. But YMMV.

Thanks B-bear
    Thanks, I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just wondered what the difference was. Your website doesn't make it apparent that it's not a pop up, at least for a moron like me.

looks very cool !
    website looks good too
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Thanks, I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just wondered what the difference was. Your website doesn't make it apparent that it's not a pop up, at least for a moron like me.
    Sorry if I came off a bit brash! What did the product seem like from the site? Just a tent?

Please describe the topper-to-truck interface.

This looks like a sweet spot product in terms of functionality and price. Good luck with this venture.

Pretty sweet concept you've come up. Hope to see you with it down here at Overland Expo next May.

Care to compare/contrast with a Habitat truck topper? Some similarities and numerous big differences. I see a Habitat as your closest competitor, and a solid possibility you might undercut Habitat's market.

Love seeing new products like yours come to into the camping/Overland/ 4x4 market.

Go Fast Campers, new mag product

Like I mentioned in the Unimog thread, I'd be stoked to check this out when the 1st gen Tundra option comes online.

I dig the ability to stand up in it and use it as a daily driver. Like Hop, I don't want (or get the appeal of) rooftop tents. They seem trendy and like a pain in the ass if I got to take a piss in the middle of the night. And letting my dog out in the morning seems like a pain in an RTT. I like this essentially adding standing and hanging out options in a normal topper. Spring ski tailgates would rule as well.

But back to dogs and my main question, as a daily driver, I would be way more interested in the hard sides versus the canvas. But it doesn't seem like there is any window option available for the hardsides? You know, for the dog to stick his head out and take a look around. Is that possible/probable?

Made in USA

Bravo. Looks like a nice niche.

Sorry if I came off a bit brash! What did the product seem like from the site? Just a tent?
    From the pics you posted and the site it seemed like a pop up rtt on a utility rack or topper. It's more clear now with your explanation. I have no idea about the Roofnest and it's origin or quality but it piqued my interest for a hard shell rtt for the top of my Cherokee. I think I would be more inclined to use something like yours, a pop up conversion, on something similar to a Safari. It's a neat concept.

Looks like you are off to a great start. I am definitely interested.

Hard sided bottom for sure. Would like to see the option for windoors on the sides; those shouldn't be too hard to integrate with the aluminum skin. A pass through hatch that lines up with the small sliding window on the back of the truck cab would be nice. It's helpful to be able to carry long skinny material without having to tie it to the roof; I end up using that feature on my current topper quite often.

What is the projected mattress size for the F150 model?

Looks pretty perfect. Another 1st Gen ('06) double-cab Tundra owner interested in hardside version as well, when you make it.

For daily driving I like being able to use my rear view mirror, so windows front/back would be ideal. Also, slider pass-through window would be nice, for me mainly because we currently sleep with one kid in the back seat and one with us on the sleeping platform in the bed of the truck, so opening the pass-through allows the kid in the cab to talk to us as needed without him having to get out of the cab. Also, when we're on camping/climbing trips and shuttling groups around at low speeds on back roads the bed of my truck is often filled with kids and it's nice to have the slider open so we can communicate with the crew back there.

None of these would be deal-breakers for me at all, just ideal. Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I hear Ford is releasing a '19 Ranger (already available in foreigner markets)...and I am interested. Will you guy make a version for that truck? (b/c I am also interested).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Very nice. Agreed about hard-sides on the topper, front/rear windows, and side doors or windoors. Curious when/if that stuff would be available, and if there's any point in reserving now if I plan to wait for some/all of those things.

Are the popup sides tent material, or that heavy, rubbery stuff like FWC uses?

Will production models have more cab overhang? Something like this would be nice to maximize space.

Name:  Overhang.JPEG
Views: 9955
Size:  139.9 KB
    Last edited by bagtagley; 10-25-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Any pics of the AL skinned sides? What is the interior of the roof on the tent like-any carpet to keep condensation from dripping down?

Checking in to agree with Bags. 2006 Silverado 2500 with 6.5ft bed and plenty of interest in something with solid sides on bottom/ability to access bed from side. No pass through needed as I have solid rear window. I realize my truck is not covered on your list and probably not where you'd start if you expand to GM due to older body style, but the design shown above would be sick.

Cool idea. Do you plan to sell only the platform/tent to DIYers who can fab the space frame?

I went down the Overland Expedition wormhole this summer. I only bought a cheap RTT that I put on a fiberglass shell, but I looked at all the fancy shit out there, much like what Single is making. This one definitely seems to have a niche. RTT's are nice, but this is definitely a step up.

It is mind blowing how far you can go with this stuff. This product definitely has a niche I think for the Made in USA, and lower price point. I was looking for something like this but everything else is $9k and up. I'm sure you could get there adding Windoors, and other options pretty quick. Also the fact that the shell seems to be strong enough to support all the other shit you are going to bolt or strap onto it, makes it appealing.

I'd definitely go hard sided shell. Maybe instead of windows, the whole side could pop out when needed? Removable sides that were still water/wind proof would be pretty cool.

I really like the modular floor idea. Haven't seen that before but I think that's pretty useful. Especially with the cab over design, you can control how much room you have.

Lastly, it seems like the bed dimensions could be wider than a full size mattress if it was on a F150 with 6.5' bed.

Any idea if a motorcycle would fit under this? This is exactly what my dirt bike riding brother has been looking for.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Please describe the topper-to-truck interface.
    +1

Very cool - checking in for the ‘06 Sierra 8’ bed folk.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    This looks like a sweet spot product in terms of functionality and price. Good luck with this venture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Bravo. Looks like a nice niche.
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rico in Flag View Post
    Pretty sweet concept you've come up. Hope to see you with it down here at Overland Expo next May.

Care to compare/contrast with a Habitat truck topper? Some similarities and numerous big differences. I see a Habitat as your closest competitor, and a solid possibility you might undercut Habitat's market.

Love seeing new products like yours come to into the camping/Overland/ 4x4 market.
    We will definitely be down there for expo this year. Yeah, you're totally right the habitat is the closest alternative. I know Mario from AT, he makes a good product. Here are a few differences...
    • We are $5000 shipped right now (if purchased through the preorder), retail will be 5000+shipping so our pricepoint is 3500-4000 less for the base model.
    • 150 pounds lighter.
    • Burlier construction and components (plus cool billet machined parts).
    • Hard roof instead of fabric top, better in wind and camping in places where RV's are allowed but not tents.
    • We do not have the 'cabover' 2nd bedroom functionality, there is more usable interior space in the habitat.
    • We fit in the footprint of the car, so opening this thing wont take any more space in a parking lot or wherever.
    • Our product offers a stronger roof rack that is capable of carrying more gear.
    • The habitat is probably a better insulated lower for the base model, though we will offer insulation kits in the future that should make ours be better.
    • We won't have the 6month to 1 year wait list since we are going to be building every part of this system in house. Our product is optimized for manufacturability.
    • Deploying and closing up our system is almost instantaneous, there is a lot of tucking and messing around with the habitat.

Thats most of the differences I can think of, I do camp with guys (Brian from Goosegear and Jerry at Tembo Tusk) that run the Habitat and it is a really nice setup.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Like I mentioned in the Unimog thread, I'd be stoked to check this out when the 1st gen Tundra option comes online.

I dig the ability to stand up in it and use it as a daily driver. Like Hop, I don't want (or get the appeal of) rooftop tents. They seem trendy and like a pain in the ass if I got to take a piss in the middle of the night. And letting my dog out in the morning seems like a pain in an RTT. I like this essentially adding standing and hanging out options in a normal topper. Spring ski tailgates would rule as well.

But back to dogs and my main question, as a daily driver, I would be way more interested in the hard sides versus the canvas. But it doesn't seem like there is any window option available for the hardsides? You know, for the dog to stick his head out and take a look around. Is that possible/probable?
    Thanks man. We are not going to offer window options initially because we don't want to overpromise in our delivery timeline, but we do plan to offer operable sides for the hard paneled system. That will be an upgrade in price because of the cost of hinges, latches etc. We also plan to offer a see through sliding door on the front of the topper so you can gain access to the back of the truck from inside the cab, and check on kids, dogs, etc. Does that answer your question?

From the pics you posted and the site it seemed like a pop up rtt on a utility rack or topper. It's more clear now with your explanation. I have no idea about the Roofnest and it's origin or quality but it piqued my interest for a hard shell rtt for the top of my Cherokee. I think I would be more inclined to use something like yours, a pop up conversion, on something similar to a Safari. It's a neat concept.
    Thanks for the insight, I will work making that clearer on the sight. We made a new rendering that might help clarify things...