Page 125 of 165 FirstFirst ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 4125
    Well, ideally, your tires are the only part of the car, truck, or bike that actually touch the road or trail, so yeah, they can and do make a really big difference.

Here's to keeping the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

My Norco Sight came with Assegai/Dissector combo. Both Maxterra compound EXO+.
    Love the grip on terrain where i need it, but good god they feel slow on moderate terrain. Does the harder compound roll all that much better?

Max Terra is the harder compound besides Dual, which is terrible.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I haven't tried the Dissector but the Assguy is slow as fuck. Definitely the slowest tire I've used. Swap it to a DHF, you'll lose a little grip but it's for sure faster.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I haven't tried the Dissector but the Assguy is slow as fuck. Definitely the slowest tire I've used. Swap it to a DHF, you'll lose a little grip but it's for sure faster.
    My DHF in MaxxGrip felt like I had a sticking caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    My DHF in MaxxGrip felt like I had a sticking caliper.
    Maxxgrip is sloooow.

Also awesome though.

I did a 250 mile bikepacking loop with a double down MaxxGrip Assegai out front. That was rough.

I really enjoy how consistent the assegai feels compared to a DHF type front tire with those big open channels, so I'm disappointed with how slow rolling it is.
    Hence wondering if the Maxspeed? (Am i getting my compounds right?) rolls -especially- faster than the Maxterra? Or just ya know 10% faster?

Oooh and i am absolutely in no way enamored with Maxxis, whatever i agree they make great tires. Is the price difference compared to other brands worth it? My experience sez no.
    So is there a tire that rolls significantly faster while retaining say 75% of braking traction? Dont mean some Ardent style limpdick XC tire.

Maxxis or not whatever. The big M is it great but surely there's other good options?

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    I really enjoy how consistent the assegai feels compared to a DHF type front tire with those big open channels, so I'm disappointed with how slow rolling it is.
    Hence wondering if the Maxspeed? (Am i getting my compounds right?) rolls -especially- faster than the Maxterra? Or just ya know 10% faster?

Oooh and i am absolutely in no way enamored with Maxxis, whatever i agree they make great tires. Is the price difference compared to other brands worth it? My experience sez no.
    So is there a tire that rolls significantly faster while retaining say 75% of braking traction? Dont mean some Ardent style limpdick XC tire.

Maxxis or not whatever. The big M is it great but surely there's other good options?
    I don't think maxxis offers the maxxspeed compound in anything but their xc race tires.

If you want a faster rolling assegai, you can get a dual compound. It'll be marginally faster than a maxxterra, offer significantly less grip, and it'll last longer. Also cheaper.

Magic Mary also might be worth looking at. Similar-ish to an assegai, but a little faster rolling. Still not a fast tire though. As with maxxis, there are various rubber compounds that are grippier / slower.

My Norco Sight came with Assegai/Dissector combo. Both Maxterra compound EXO+.
    Love the grip on terrain where i need it, but good god they feel slow on moderate terrain. Does the harder compound roll all that much better?
    Would you let them go for shipping?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The Vittoria Graphene compound is great for grip and rolling resistance. They’ve got a tire with intermediate knobs called the Agarro that’s billed for fast rolling. Might be worth a shot

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    The Vittoria Graphene compound is great for grip and rolling resistance. They’ve got a tire with intermediate knobs called the Agarro that’s billed for fast rolling. Might be worth a shot
    I’m quite sold on Vittoria’s graphene tires, but hated the Agarro. Felt sketchy and unpredictably drifty.

IMO the 2.4 Mazza is plenty fast for everything but XC, at which point I switch to Syerras or Mezcals.

After using the MaxxGrip Assegai for a couple years, I gave the MaxxGrip DHF a try again up front. It’s great. Not quite as forgiving as the Assegai, but the cornering grip is there, and it definitely rolls faster.

I wanted to try a Dissector instead of DHR2 rear. Did and don't like the lack of grip. It's just too loose for me. It was ok for 200mi, but now it feels like an Aggressor LOL. It IS a lot faster than DHR2 though, there's that.

@rideit
    They're half worn out. Back tire at least. U wouldnt want them

I always thought most of the rolling resistance drag came from the back tire?
    Even though the Assegai is very grippy and corners great does it really cause that much drag as a front?

Didnt Continental just release or revamp their whole line? For those that have been on them, how has that worked out?
    I almost think i want a very meaty XC tire vs a lightish fast rolling enduro tire. If that exists.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I wanted to try a Dissector instead of DHR2 rear. Did and don't like the lack of grip. It's just too loose for me. It was ok for 200mi, but now it feels like an Aggressor LOL. It IS a lot faster than DHR2 though, there's that.
    You should try a High Roller II out back (if you haven’t recently.) It could be just what you’re looking for

Even though the Assegai is very grippy and corners great does it really cause that much drag as a front?
    After riding on the wheel of a buddy on a no brakes section of bike park flow trail - me on an Assguy front, him on a DHF front, both of the same rear - yes, it sure does.

I doubt you'd notice swapping from one to the other riding by yourself, but ride both right next to each other and you can tell a difference.

I always thought most of the rolling resistance drag came from the back tire?

Didnt Continental just release or revamp their whole line? For those that have been on them, how has that worked out?
    I almost think i want a very meaty XC tire vs a lightish fast rolling enduro tire. If that exists.
    I can tell the difference in rolling resistance between a 2.3 and 2.5 minion. The front tire is not negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    After riding on the wheel of a buddy on a no brakes section of bike park flow trail - me on an Assguy front, him on a DHF front, both of the same rear - yes, it sure does.
    Not saying you're wrong re: the tires, but hubs matter more than you'd think. I've followed eluder on basic green flow trail where we both had the exact same tires. He'd still pull away. Dt swiss roll better than raceface hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not saying you're wrong re: the tires, but hubs matter more than you'd think. I've followed eluder on basic green flow trail where we both had the exact same tires. He'd still pull away. Dt swiss roll better than raceface hubs.
    Good point on hubs. However in this case, we were both on I9 Torch hubs.

Magic Mary also might be worth looking at. Similar-ish to an assegai, but a little faster rolling. Still not a fast tire though. As with maxxis, there are various rubber compounds that are grippier / slower.
    Interesting. I was hoping Assegai was faster because it has modern ramped knobs and fewer intermediate knobs
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I sincerely doubt hub friction is going to outweigh things like rider weight, tire wear state, suspension effects or differences in rotational inertia from different rims, inserts, or even amounts of sealant, such that you could actually notice hub differences significantly. Hell, I bet drafting effects are more prevalent, or even mm differences in line choice or weighting/lean by the rider, pumping etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Like he said, it matters more than you’d think. Beyond freehub design, things like too much preload, thicker than designed grease, or lack of oil/grease from lax maintenance can create drag that on some hubs is noticeable when riding. Project 321 hubs are hyper sensitive to those things.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I put a worn 2.4 Mazza on the rear just because. Turns out it is pretty fast and has been really grippy in our current conditions. With the 2.6 Mazza on the front I'm railing corners like a mofo