Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    I have a pair of stock 18-19 liners in 28.5 I'd like to sell. $50 shipped in lower 48 or cheaper pickup in teton valley. They have never been used, put intuition and insoles in the day i got the boots.

OK, please save me from having to read 26 pages of this thread.

I am told the last of the Zero G changed fairly substantially this year.
    1) is that true
    2) what changed

Many graciases

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

1) is that true
    2) what changed

Many graciases
    This year being 19-20?

Find that hard to believe as the molds would have to change for that and there has been zero word about any changes to the boot for this season. Plus I sent my in for warranty (marker bindings causing damage) and my warranty guy didn't say anything about a change.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

1) I think you mean the year before when they switched from Guide pro (basically a cochise in lighter plastic) to the Tour Pro
    2) I think slightly narrower and a lot less volume in the cuff? The old one was basically a cochise with a very thin liner, which led to a pretty roomy cuff in my experience.
    But I am sure the boot guys here can give you a more detailed analysis.

The ZeroG Tour series did not change YoY. Last season’s boot is the same as this season’s.
    There was a decent change in fit from the 17/18 ZeroG Guide, to the 18/19-19/20 ZeroG Tour.

1) is that true
    2) what changed
    It changed for the 18-19 year. To me the fit is not that much different, and is probably mostly due to liner changes. The new Tour Pro is ~230 grams lighter than the old Guide Pro, the soles are no longer interchangeable with ISO 5355 soles (like on the Cochise), the buckle bales are cables rather than wire, and the walk mode engages in 2 places rather than 1. It feels stiffer to me even though it is lighter.

OK yeah, my friend said this year, but I'm sure he meant last year. Years are blurring together in my advanced age but I guess I tried on a pair during 17/18, so yeah I'm really asking what changed in the fit between 17/18 and current.

gregL's post aligns with several posts on the first page or two; ie, not much changed in fit. Couple other posts here say fairly substantial fit change. I'm most curious about volume in the ankle, heel hold would have been a problem for me in the 17/18 (based only on trying on in store).

I'm most curious about volume in the ankle, heel hold would have been a problem for me in the 17/18 (based only on trying on in store).
    I feel like the ankle volume decreased slightly in the new model, but I don't have the old ones around to compare anymore. Still roomy compared to my Hawx Ultra XTD 130, though.

Ankle volume is very similar to my first year Lange XT 130 Freetours.

I know you've been skiing on Maestrale RSs. I had Mango Maestrales from 4 or 5 years ago, and my ankles swam in them in comparison to both my Langes and my last year's Zero Gs.

The loose ankle fit (for my bony ankles) in the Maestrales was the reason for my change.

If you fit a 25.5 shell, you're welcome to drop by with a pair of your liners to check out the fit.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Ankle volume is very similar to my first year Lange XT 130 Freetours.

I know you've been skiing on Maestrale RSs. I had Mango Maestrales from 4 or 5 years ago, and my ankles swam in them in comparison to both my Langes and my last year's Zero Gs.

The loose ankle fit (for my bony ankles) in the Maestrales was the reason for my change.

If you fit a 25.5 shell, you're welcome to drop by with a pair of your liners to check out the fit.

... Thom
    I am a 25.5 and may take you up on this.

I made Maestrale RS's work for years by butterfly wrapping the shit out of the heels until switching to Hawx two years ago.

Ok so I just got a pair of ZeroG Tour Pro's, same shell size as my old ZeroG Tour Scouts (which aren't for sale, and I don't have in my possession anymore). And idk if it's just that I've gotten use to my Intuitions, but I almost feel like the fit of the stock Pro's is every so slightly bigger than the stock Scouts. If it is true I'm theorizing the stiffer plastic holds its mold form better than the softer Scouts.

I could be full of shit though. Anyone else have thoughts?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I am a 25.5 and may take you up on this.

I made Maestrale RS's work for years by butterfly wrapping the shit out of the heels until switching to Hawx two years ago.
    I did the same thing with my Maestrales (L-pads, etc.).

Last Spring, I pressed my Scarpa / Intuitions which were molded for the Maestrales (but only skied 8 -10 days) into service for the Z-Gs.

I picked up the Z-Gs from @goldenboy after Larry closed for the year.

My point is, that molded for the higher volume Maestrales, last Spring in the Z-Gs was painful, and I feared the instep might be too low for my relatively low arches.

Larry remolded the liners last week, and they're fine. My point is that the Z-Gs are lower volume from the instep, back through heel/ankle. They're very similar to the Hawx.

When I was shell fitting last Spring, I felt that the 25.5 Hawx was a touch too short. The 25.5 Z-G is marginally longer (2-3mm?), which was just enough to save me from having to upsize - something I am loathe to do.

You know where to find me ...

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Ok so I just got a pair of ZeroG Tour Pro's, same shell size as my old ZeroG Tour Scouts (which aren't for sale, and I don't have in my possession anymore). And idk if it's just that I've gotten use to my Intuitions, but I almost feel like the fit of the stock Pro's is every so slightly bigger than the stock Scouts. If it is true I'm theorizing the stiffer plastic holds its mold form better than the softer Scouts.

I could be full of shit though. Anyone else have thoughts?
    I just went through a round of fit/flex testing and thought that the ZGTP fit ever so slightly shorter in length (just a hair more contact pressure on front of toes) than the Scout in a size 25.5. Tried both with stock unmolded liners and my own intuitions (molded for vulcans). All liners held my own custom insoles. Didn't notice any perceptible difference in volume in other fit areas though.

Who knows though; that subjective length discrepancy feel coulda been due to morning vs. late afternoon/post hike fit session? swelled feet.
    Master of mediocrity.

Can anyone educate me on the difference between the zero g guide pro and the zero g tour pro besides a little weight difference?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Can anyone educate me on the difference between the zero g guide pro and the zero g tour pro besides a little weight difference?
    Read GregL's description 10 posts back.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Read GregL's description 10 posts back.
    Gracias. 25 pages of info and the answer was staring me in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I feel like the ankle volume decreased slightly in the new model, but I don't have the old ones around to compare anymore. Still roomy compared to my Hawx Ultra XTD 130, though.
    I got a great fit on Vulcan/pwer wrap without any punches, skinny low volume ankles, HIGH instep

but of course what next if the Vulcan goes south ?

can you compare the tour pro &/or Hawx to a Vulcan ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So what's the verdict with these as a 50/50 boot? Just picked up a pair of these. I currently have some Lange Freetours that I use in a 50/50 role, and I'm kinda wondering if these can take over that duty, or if I should just continue with my Langes for inbounds and the ZeroGs for touring.

In my experience the Lange Freetours ski about as well (like 90% the performance) as the regular Lange RX130s... so if the ZeroGs ski anything like the Freetours, I feel it'd be more than capable in that role.

...and tbh I'd rather have just one boot for everything. I've always found the less variation you have in your ski setup, the better you ski.

edit: For what it's worth, I currently ski almost exactly 50/50. Last year I had exactly as many days on the skintrack/bootpack as I did inbounds. Not at all stoked with the freetours on the skintrack, hence the new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got a great fit on Vulcan/pwer wrap without any punches, skinny low volume ankles, HIGH instep

but of course what next if the Vulcan goes south ?

can you compare the tour pro &/or Hawx to a Vulcan ?
    Hey xxx'er; details are a bit fuzzy due to time elapsed but I did fit/flex testing of both boots compared to Vulcans without tongue/no flex stops.

Tried all boots with stock liners, vulcan stock liners and intuition hv luxury liners.

Hawx had a subjectively higher instep area compared to vulcans and lower volume shaft. A problem fit area presented itself when boots were in tour mode and I walked up and down ramps and stepped up/down stairs. Pressure point at medial lower tib/talus area. Same problem i had in the solly mtn labs so hawx are off the table. Yes, heat molding and punching could mitigate the issue but don't wanna risk it.

ZGTP featured a lower instep compared to Hawx, slightly more volume in shaft but perhaps a bit less than vulcan. No pressure point in Hawx problem area.

Both boots felt pretty similar to vulcan in terms of heel hold and ankle fit.

Won't comment on flex cause in store/warm temps. Got no clue how they'd all stack up in real world skiing at cold temps.

One thing I noticed with flex quality was the Hawx shell showed a lot of outward 'blowing out' lateral expansion at cuff rivets; more than the Vulcans at room temp. The Technicas hinged smoothly with minimal signs of that malady. Could all be dependent on where that cuff rivet hinge point sits in relation to yer ankle bones? I don't know, but suspect for me at least, the Tecnicas would ski better with more lateral support/precision when driving the ski with 10 and 2 oclock shin pressure.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    So what's the verdict with these as a 50/50 boot? Just picked up a pair of these. I currently have some Lange Freetours that I use in a 50/50 role, and I'm kinda wondering if these can take over that duty, or if I should just continue with my Langes for inbounds and the ZeroGs for touring.

In my experience the Lange Freetours ski about as well (like 90% the performance) as the regular Lange RX130s... so if the ZeroGs ski anything like the Freetours, I feel it'd be more than capable in that role.

...and tbh I'd rather have just one boot for everything. I've always found the less variation you have in your ski setup, the better you ski.

edit: For what it's worth, I currently ski almost exactly 50/50. Last year I had exactly as many days on the skintrack/bootpack as I did inbounds. Not at all stoked with the freetours on the skintrack, hence the new purchase.
    I had both and the zero g skis better than the free tour

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Good to know, looks like I'll probably rock the zero g full time.

Did some fit/flex testing of this boot a few weeks ago; in store, room temp. Examined the ski/walk mode lever and how the upper and lower cuff locking mechanisms function. IIRC (correct me if i'm wrong): It appeared that the upper one only provides full lock for forward flexing.

When in ski mode, lower locking lever engaged: I noticed that if the upper locking lever is held out so that it doesn't engage, forward flex stiffness was softer and allowed for more ankle range of motion. Slight, subtle but notable effect.

Got me thinking... Has anyone fiddled around with this and skied with that upper locking lever disengaged? Seems like a piece of correctly sized material can be inserted into that gap to hold the lever out and 'open'. Wondering if this could allow some real time/in field adjustment of softening the boot flex for conditions where that would be preferable.

Name:  IMG_1296-341x640.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  57.2 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-19-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Has anyone fiddled around with this and skied with that upper locking lever disengaged?
    I haven't tried it. I felt I got them same results by simply not using the power strap.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Hey xxx'er; details are a bit fuzzy due to time elapsed but I did fit/flex testing of both boots compared to Vulcans without tongue/no flex stops.

Tried all boots with stock liners, vulcan stock liners and intuition hv luxury liners.

Hawx had a subjectively higher instep area compared to vulcans and lower volume shaft. A problem fit area presented itself when boots were in tour mode and I walked up and down ramps and stepped up/down stairs. Pressure point at medial lower tib/talus area. Same problem i had in the solly mtn labs so hawx are off the table. Yes, heat molding and punching could mitigate the issue but don't wanna risk it.

ZGTP featured a lower instep compared to Hawx, slightly more volume in shaft but perhaps a bit less than vulcan. No pressure point in Hawx problem area.

Both boots felt pretty similar to vulcan in terms of heel hold and ankle fit.

Won't comment on flex cause in store/warm temps. Got no clue how they'd all stack up in real world skiing at cold temps.

One thing I noticed with flex quality was the Hawx shell showed a lot of outward 'blowing out' lateral expansion at cuff rivets; more than the Vulcans at room temp. The Technicas hinged smoothly with minimal signs of that malady. Could all be dependent on where that cuff rivet hinge point sits in relation to yer ankle bones? I don't know, but suspect for me at least, the Tecnicas would ski better with more lateral support/precision when driving the ski with 10 and 2 oclock shin pressure.
    FWIW, a few people who I’ve talked to that have skied both say the Hawx 130 XTD is a bit stiffer or supportive.

Also, I’ve read that some expansion of the ankle area is required for a good skiing boot - the expansion in that area gives you the space to roll your ankles to shift weight onto the edge appropriately.

But... by all means, get what fits the best (after bootwork of course).

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
    I have both and disagree. Freetour has a smoother flex and works better for me.

For bigger skis and resort bumps I’d rather have the smoothness of the Freetour. For the weight and ROM the ZeroG skis great and it’s a phenomenal do it all touring boot; to the point I got rid of my TLT6s.