Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1924
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Whistlepig + Carpano Antica makes the best manhattan i've ever had
    Leopold Bros. Maryland Rye + Antica + bitters
    OG Basil Rye + Antica + bitters

Those are the best I've had. This isn't the rye or the Manhattan thread.

Picked up a few single barrel bottles in Evanston yesterday. Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. The Evan is fantastic. Four roses quite smokey. Buffalo trace I haven’t had neat yet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

How it’s going (buddy has over 500 bottles, verticals, the whole gamut and is very very generous).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92713BDE-5135-47DA-BF8F-1C3A14EFCE30.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	639.3 KB 
ID:	394068
    I still call it The Jake.

I need more friends like that. Mrs. C called when doing some pre-Thanksgiving shopping and said there was a line at the liquor store and if she should check it out. Of course she should check it out. Warehouse clean out with pop up delivery of unclaimed lotteries and other stashes. I'd say she did pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	394112  

Now that’s a haul.
    I still call it The Jake.

Have a friend that has a Youtube account called Whiskey Knows. He gets tons of stuff sent to him to review. Said this was about half of his stash.

Name:  Marty's stash.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  107.6 KB
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I need more friends like that. Mrs. C called when doing some pre-Thanksgiving shopping and said there was a line at the liquor store and if she should check it out. Of course she should check it out. Warehouse clean out with pop up delivery of unclaimed lotteries and other stashes. I'd say she did pretty well.
    Let us know what you think of the McKenna.

I found it ..... different.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Let us know what you think of the McKenna.

I found it ..... different.
    I’ve had prior years and thought it was okay. Not bad but my favorite. I pick it up when I see and keep it for gifts-it’s hard to come by and it has a reputation after winning whiskey of the year so it seems to be well received.

The McKenna is really good but its a traditional mash bill. If you like bourbons that are higher corn content, you're more likely to like it. If you like wheated or high rye bourbons, you won't. Also, it's probably not worth the current retail price. When you could buy it for $40 or so it reperesented a tremendous value.

The flavor, for me was fine - it was the texture. Thick and syrupy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    The McKenna is really good but its a traditional mash bill. If you like bourbons that are higher corn content, you're more likely to like it. If you like wheated or high rye bourbons, you won't. Also, it's probably not worth the current retail price. When you could buy it for $40 or so it reperesented a tremendous value.
    It's $50 here and that's why it's hard to find. When saying it wasn't my favorite, it's still decent, just others I'd pick in front of it for the same cost or less when available. Taylor Small Batch and EC Small Batch for example.

Unicorn Acquired (at least for my neck of the woods)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CovertM View Post

Unicorn Acquired (at least for my neck of the woods)

Nice score! Unfortunately, used to be normal, on the shelf but not any more. Would love to find some more these days.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I've never seen that in a liquor store. There was a nice restaurant in town that had a bottle and they were selling pours for $9. Between a couple family members and myself we probably drank most of the bottle.

W12 is probably my favorite $35 bottle. Unfortunately, things have changed. The last time I saw it, I was limited to two. If I ever find one again, it won’t be $35.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    W12 is probably my favorite $35 bottle. Unfortunately, things have changed. The last time I saw it, I was limited to two. If I ever find one again, it won’t be $35.
    OWA 107 is already $50.

Good luck finding W12 for cheaper than $90

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I'll have to look but I think wholesale on 107 is creeping up on $40 and 12y is similar. 10 years ago we were buying floor stacks of 12y liters off the closeout list for $16.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I'll have to look but I think wholesale on 107 is creeping up on $40 and 12y is similar. 10 years ago we were buying floor stacks of 12y liters off the closeout list for $16.
    Yes, paid $40. Luckily a few LLS here hold allocated in the back for locals and charge retail, no markup.

Weller Full Proof and 107 have been complete ghosts for years.

EH Taylor small batch is probably favorite if all time, and can’t find it anywhere this year. About to breakdown and pay way too much online.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    OWA 107 is already $50.

Good luck finding W12 for cheaper than $90

The last time I bought OWA it was at the new price of $49. I’ve seen allocations several times a year. I haven’t seen W12 here since 2017.

We'll see OWA a time or two a year. Haven't seen a W12 for 4-5 years around here. Could buy Taylor by the case up until 4-5 years ago too.

Ordered some Cat's Eye Obtanium Light Whiskey. Supposedly about 145 proof. Will report back.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

That would be remarkably warm. The highest proof bourbon I've run across was an old Elijah barrel proof that clocked in at like 142*. Nectar of the gods...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Hey, what do you guys think of Rittenhouse Rye? I've never heard of it before this morning. Certainly not the best, but hardly with a new thread and I was interested. My son was given two bottles by his employer. I sipped some, and for $30 a bottle, I like it.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Hey, what do you guys think of Rittenhouse Rye? I've never heard of it before this morning. Certainly not the best, but hardly with a new thread and I was interested. My son was given two bottles by his employer. I sipped some, and for $30 a bottle, I like it.
    It’s my go-to for cocktails and have a decanter full of it on the sideboard. It’s good for the price, but I wouldn’t sip it. If the local stocked WT101 rye, I’d buy that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Hey, what do you guys think of Rittenhouse Rye? Certainly not the best, but hardly with a new thread and I was interested. My son was given two bottles by his employer. I sipped some, and for $30 a bottle, I like it.
    Rittenhouse is widely considered to be the best budget rye on the market, hands down. It's a workhorse bottle used by the world's best cocktail bars (Employees Only among others). It consistently scores in the 90/100 range by various whiskey review sites - as good or better than a number of High West bottles that cost 3-4 times as much. It's a quintessential rye; unapologetic and delicious. Great for sipping.and even better for mixing.

Don't tell your friends, I like paying $25 a bottle for it (and I always have a bottle on hand!).