Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    as seaworthy as a Mako, Grady White, Parker etc.
    So those boats are all geared towards fishing more than pleasure cruising. Whats a good (seaworthy) non-fishing specific brand? I'm not looking to go 100 miles offshore, but I do want to be able to cruise over to the Vineyard or down to Block Island.

We do need a boat advice thread cause I'm not trying to make this thread all about me (but do need a LOT of advice)

Figure out where you will keep it and where you will get it serviced. Stick with brands that you can get worked on locally. If possible buy local.
    Do not buy an older boat that needs repowered unless it is a hull you really like. Let someone else eat the cost. On bigger boats wiring is a big issue. Probably not so much in your size. Spend some time at marinas. See what is popular. Probably a reason for it.

Smaller boats with cabins really seem to have lost popularity in recent years. The Grady-White Gulfstream 232 would fill the bill, they're nice boats, seaworthy and they've made them for a long time (they still make them) so there's quite a few on the used market. Here's one in Orleans that's reasonable and seems nice: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing You'd want to get somebody good to check it over for you for sure and it might be time to upgrade the electronics.

One of you should buy my 232 gulfstream 1997 and toss a 300 Suzuki on it. It's one cape in water but goes into safe mode at 4k rpms. Mechanic couldn't diagnose it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just needs this... just needs that.. mechanic can't diagnosis it.. Boats are notorious money pits.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    So those boats are all geared towards fishing more than pleasure cruising. Whats a good (seaworthy) non-fishing specific brand? I'm not looking to go 100 miles offshore, but I do want to be able to cruise over to the Vineyard or down to Block Island.

We do need a boat advice thread cause I'm not trying to make this thread all about me (but do need a LOT of advice)
    Sounds like my boat would fit your bill. Intrepids are like the Swiss Army Knife of boats. I can easily fish mine, cruise around with 12 people seated comfortably, or take it from here to Key West with no worries other than how to pay the gas bill. I would not suggest it as a first boat though. It is a big change from my 21 Mako that I had since 2007.
    A 25 Mako would fit your needs. The 254 cuddy is extremely popular now. Might account for why I can't find any for sale. It is not completely fishing specific, but that is definitely why it was built. I would not go under 25 ft if runs to MV or Nantucket are in your wants and needs list. Too many stories of beautiful cruises out to MV or Block, with the weather kicking up and people getting stuck, or having to ferry back and foot the bill for a week of storage while they figure out how to get back to make the home run.

On another note, it was probably the most beautiful set of days we had in a while here. 85-90 with relatively low humidity. I have a friend in town for the Giants/Bics game, so I took him out yesterday for a cruise. Today I started polishing the gel coat down for a future ceramic treatment that I want to try out. Supposed to last a year in full sun. I am skeptical, but I did a similar treatment on my Jeep with great results, so I figured I will give the marine stuff a try.

Here is a during/after side by side shot. Notice the reflection on the one side vs the dull haze on the other. I wet sanded this hull last week, so the dull side is way duller than normal, but this gives you an idea of how much better the hull looks now.

To have someone do this would probably cost me about $1000 at least. That is the reality check of owning a boat. If you enjoy the maintenance and are confident enough to tackle it, boat ownership is not a big deal. If you plan on having other people maintain your boat, it may be cost prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Smaller boats with cabins really seem to have lost popularity in recent years. The Grady-White Gulfstream 232 would fill the bill, they're nice boats, seaworthy and they've made them for a long time (they still make them) so there's quite a few on the used market. Here's one in Orleans that's reasonable and seems nice: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing You'd want to get somebody good to check it over for you for sure and it might be time to upgrade the electronics.
    My gut tells me that boat is overpriced. Maybe not for the Cape though. They specifically leave out the year of the engine, so I assume it is 2000. That engine is on it's last legs. My last one was a 200 OX66 2000 or 2001, and over time the salt had eaten a hole in the block, leaking a small amount of salt water into one of the pistons. The new owner ran it hard on one of his first outings and found out how well salt water and pistons go together. I felt pretty bad, but I am not sure how hard he rode it. I helped him tow it to my mechanic, and we loaned him the trailer to do so.

Can you post some pics of the deck of your boat and the seating? and maybe the cabin? or link to some stock photos? Curious about Intrepid, not a brand I'm familiar with whatsoever.

why are most (all?) of the recommendations I'm getting outboards? Whats wrong with stern drive? why don't you guys like I/Os?

Talking about expected engine longevity, are you most concerned with the age of the motor? I mean, what if its a 2000 but it only has 200 hours? What about if it was well maintained and low hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Talking about expected engine longevity, are you most concerned with the age of the motor? I mean, what if its a 2000 but it only has 200 hours? What about if it was well maintained and low hours?
    Tough to tell. My motor had perfect compression. If it didn't, I wouldn't have sold it. Intrusion of salt water into piston was not something we could tell. When the new owner ran it hard, the piston shot out the side of the block. It is a bit of a crap shoot. Good news is, with an outboard you just take it off and hang a similar engine(due to controls) off the back.

I/O s are not popular on salt due to the fact that the lower unit can not be taken out of water at dock or mooring. If you can store it on a lift, trailer, or high and dry, it is less of an issue. I/O goes out though, and you need it removed from the boat at a large expense. Working in those tight quarters adds hours, and most engine techs get over $110 an hour at least.

This one is very similar to mine, but 28 ft.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...nced%20listing

Intrepid is gonna be huge money. We chartered a fountain 38lx which is a similar layout to an intrepid.

If you can take weekdays off regularly, just get freedom boat club or similar.

Same as mine, but mine is a '96, and it doesn't have those crazy colors on the hull or cushions.
    Again, these motors are suspect. 650 hours isn't much on older 2 strokes though.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...dard%20listing

BTW, this boat is way overpriced, but again it may be priced fine for the MA market. Down here that boat would get $50,000 at best. Transport is pretty cheap too, minus the flight down to test ride it, and the mechanic bill to test compression.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Intrepid is gonna be huge money. We chartered a fountain 38lx which is a similar layout to an intrepid.

If you can take weekdays off regularly, just get freedom boat club or similar.

Not hudge, but not cheap. The upside is, the owners tend to take much better care of them.
    I agree on the boat club. Weekdays, you will get your pick. Also, on vacation, you can take out boats anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Same as mine, but mine is a '96, and it doesn't have those crazy colors on the hull or cushions.
    Again, these motors are suspect. 650 hours isn't much on older 2 strokes though.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...dard%20listing

BTW, this boat is way overpriced, but again it may be priced fine for the MA market. Down here that boat would get $50,000 at best. Transport is pretty cheap too, minus the flight down to test ride it, and the mechanic bill to test compression.
    Damn, 70K for a 30 year old boat??? Even at 50k, way out of my price range for my 1st boat. Looking into the boat club idea because as you guys point out, I have weekdays off a lot of the time, but if I'm gonna buy, I'd like to be somewhere around 15-25k

15-25 is easy in a classic hull with newer power. You just have to research which hulls meet your needs, and then find one with good power. Totally doable though. My 1986 21 Mako cost me $11,000 in 2007, and I sold it for $10,000 11 years later. It was more than capable to make a run to MV or Block Island, but it wouldn't have been super comfortable. A 25 Mako would crush it on that run. It has a nice weight to it, and it cuts through the waves well. At rest it has a bit of a roll to it though, due to it's high dead rise (21 I think), and smaller beam. In other words, when it is running it is like a knife, but at rest it is a bit like a weeble wobble. A lot of newer boats are modified hulls which are more comfortable at rest, but pound you a bit in seas.

Ok all ya boating dentists, any thoughts on bad ass welded aluminum, ocean-capable outboard boats for use in the PNW? Might be moving to BC coast in a few years and starting to dream of a boat in that plan..
    Thinking trailerable fishing and island hopping boat, easily beachable without damage, 20-28 feet, single OB with a kicker, maybe small cuddy cabin for overnights.

I don't know the brands at all but there's some pretty cool ones for sure. I don't know why we don't see more of them on the EC, they're very rare here. They're big in aluminum in Australia and NZ too and those boats also see rough use, there's no problem with Aluminum as a hull material that I'm aware of except it's difficult to put compound curves in it without really expensive machinery so they tend to look a bit blockier than fiberglass boats but to me that just makes them look tough.

Electrolysis.....

Pretty sure they've got that handled with coatings and zinc anodes, etc. people wouldn't be buying boats to use in AK that are dissolving underneath them. Not saying it can't happen but it can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by natty dread View Post
    Ok all ya boating dentists, any thoughts on bad ass welded aluminum, ocean-capable outboard boats for use in the PNW? Might be moving to BC coast in a few years and starting to dream of a boat in that plan..
    Thinking trailerable fishing and island hopping boat, easily beachable without damage, 20-28 feet, single OB with a kicker, maybe small cuddy cabin for overnights.
    I have an aluminum boat. They are popular in AK where i boat. Hewes craft are the most popular. Jed posted a photo of a nice aluminum boat in this thread. I am not sure how practical it is to beach a deep v hull. I think most people anchor and use dinghy. Also a boat in your size range would probably be too heavy to drag off the beach. Go welded verse riveted.
    off your knees Louie

North river builds a great tin can for what you want to do. I’m a welder and fabricator in my non fishing life and I would hesitate putting my family in a hewescraft. Lots of compromises with an aluminum boat, they’re cold, loud, and pound but they’re super low maintenance, easy to modify, can be beached on appropriate beaches, take less power and fuel to run because they’re light. As a pro who spends a ton of time on boats I’d prefer a heavy glass boat or an aluminum catamaran just for longevity of my back. Also it’s much harder to find a good used aluminum boat at a reasonable price.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by natty dread View Post
    Single OB on an ocean boat? Not my cup of tea, but plenty of people do it and are still alive.

Plenty of used aluminum pilothouse boats out here. North River is really popular--easy to sell if you want to upgrade/downgrade. A 26-28ft sea hawk OS does just about anything. You occasionally see a later model with less than 500 hours for less than 100k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    North river builds a great tin can for what you want to do. I’m a welder and fabricator in my non fishing life and I would hesitate putting my family in a hewescraft. Lots of compromises with an aluminum boat, they’re cold, loud, and pound but they’re super low maintenance, easy to modify, can be beached on appropriate beaches, take less power and fuel to run because they’re light. As a pro who spends a ton of time on boats I’d prefer a heavy glass boat or an aluminum catamaran just for longevity of my back. Also it’s much harder to find a good used aluminum boat at a reasonable price.
    I like hewes too. Their newest pilothouse looks sick AF, but I don't know anything about it. Frequent poster on local fishing forums rocks the Lumacat 28 and seems really happy with that. I've always liked the idea of cats, but have yet to take a tuna trip on one.

Edit: would also add this after having seen one in the slip next to my buddy and talking to him about how it fishes: https://alliedboats.com/liberator-series/ Gonna guess we're up and over 200k by that point though, and there are a lot of options at that price point.

The single ob kicker is what i see the sport boaters using in my town in prince william sound. Protected waters, affordsble.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    The single ob kicker is what i see the sport boaters using in my town in prince william sound. Protected waters, affordsble.
    I guess that’s reasonable in Cordova for a private boat. I’ve come back in too many times on one to ever leave with only one motor.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer