Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanensor View Post
    will be up at dodge this friday for some preseason hike shred!!
    Where are you coming up from? I'm looking for some assistance getting a couple pair of skis to GiBo in Modesto on Friday.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

In order to compete with the Tahoe thread you needs to get up lots of maps and things
    Happy to see C-Cal snow stoke this season.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    In order to compete with the Tahoe thread you needs to get up lots of maps and things
    Happy to see C-Cal snow stoke this season.

bullshit - I think most folks already know how to use the intertoob

Supporting Mike's cc thread: BV resort was excellent today. Skied a mellow nnw pitch that had filled in nicely, 18 to 30", never hit a thing during four laps. Heavy enough to be an excellent base, light enough to ski effortlessly. Snowed all day but visibility was very good. Great kickoff to the season.

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    last year we managed to walk out of the movie right to the holiday parade - do you know when that is?

maybe we can get a group together and go out to dinner before the film
    I havent seen a date for the parade yet, but it is often on the same Saturday as the show.

Yup, looks like it's on the 1st too. If I'm in town, I'd be down for a brew or grub.

Owen will be stoked.

a few things to report

#1 - folks from Bear Valley, Dodge Ridge & China Peak will be at the upcoming SnowBomb events in Sac, SJ and SF - you can probably score some beater schwag

#2 - up dating Bear Valley news - long story short, the Central Sierra Environmental Resource Center is appealing Bear's expansion plan with the FS - Union Democrat article

#3 - Ostrander Ski Hut reservations are open

Spectacular morning at BV resort. Beautiful, light, dry powder, good coverage, no hits. Should be good again tomorrow if the temps stay in the low twentys.

Wall Street Journal had a good story about our Central California ski areas. You'll need an online subscription (which I do not have) to access it, but I can send you a .pdf (that a kind sould sent to me) if you want it.

also - Cafe Blossom in Twain Harte is having a small local ski swap Dec 1st - there ought to be a bunch of Icelantic skis there - some with Hammerheads

next week looks promising

Another good day at BV resort. Stormy, heavy snow, but wintery, no rain, and best coverage of the season. Strange to see absolutely no one working at the resort the last two weekends. Absolutely deserted, not a soul, no snowplow work past where CalTrans does its thing. If management is doing anything to get ready to open, they're disguising it very very well.

Wall Street Journal had a good story about our Central California ski areas. You'll need an online subscription (which I do not have) to access it, but I can send you a .pdf (that a kind sould sent to me) if you want it.
    i'd like to read it if you don't mind forwarding it to me -- don't mind the childish email address, its my spam one that i don't mind posting in public places.

johnisbest7@gmail.com

thanks

BV Monday anyone?

jahoney - will forward

BV Monday anyone?

Monday morning meadow skipping
    There were bits of good snow in the shade, but mostly just a good heavy base coat for the future.

That was you in the red jacket? We were on a slightly different cycle? I skied a few laps on the Koala side, then I went up to the top and skied Monte Wolf. It was excellent in the shade.

New snow was super dense and wind-affected. Some cool rime in the tress. Once the sun hit them there were tons of bombs and tree pee.

Plenty of work happening on the mtn today, John. They are in the off-season schedule of 10 hour days M-F. Koala ran for a bit this afternoon. Working on magic carpet. Cat track up Moke West to the top.

Yep, that must have been me pushing my sea level legs up the mountain.
    gotta start somewhere.

sorry we missed each other

a lovely day in the mountains

jahoney - check your spam
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 11-19-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Glad you got up there, Mike, and glad to hear they're getting things up and running. Hope to see you up there this year.

Headed to the Fresno area for the next 4 days. Thought I would put out a feeler for some backcountry beta and/or a touring partner for the China Peak area. Friday maybe? Is there anything worth hiking? Should I through the avi gear in the car, or maybe just plan on lapping groomers at the resort?

Red Mtn is a good tour from the area, but you might want better coverage. Not sure how things are looking. Take a look at a map - it's the prominent volcanic turd about 3 miles SE of Chinese Peak. There is some good side-country to be had.

FS has a really good free map of the Pineridge Winter Rec Area. Lots of groomed snowmachine trails you can use to access some turns.

No proper lifts spinning this weekend. Carpets and beginner terrain only.

edit - meggers is probably the resident expert on Sierra Summit - maybe she's home from school for Thanksgiving?
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 11-21-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Hoss according to the forest service website kaiser pass road is open but you have to have chains theres probly turns to be had there, the pass is high altitude around 9500 feet. The road up to Bear Butte which is just past China Peak has some mellow tree runs along it that generally hold more snow than the rest of the area. It's probly closed but thats a short skin/hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Worthington View Post
    Headed to the Fresno area for the next 4 days. Thought I would put out a feeler for some backcountry beta and/or a touring partner for the China Peak area. Friday maybe? Is there anything worth hiking? Should I through the avi gear in the car, or maybe just plan on lapping groomers at the resort?

Sorry for the late reply but there is no snow really. bring the bike the dirt is perfect. Don't ski go do 007 or the SJRT instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Del-Monte-Whole-Kernel-Corn-15.25oz.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	126354
    Harvested some yummy corn out on a minor ridge past Lake Alpine. (4 is closed at end of lake). A little deeper than the can is tall - just deep enough for easy turns.

Some guy in a 4x4 (SAR maybe?) drove from Markleeville, so that tells you how deep it is.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Looks like our crew will not be going to Modesto for Warren Miller and Dr Seuss.

We are going to go to the show at the high school in Angels Camp. Dinner at Sidewinders at 5. Show starts at 7.

Also - winter solstice party at our house Dec 21st. All are invited.