Page 19 of 275 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    I actually was lazy to mount my new Tyrolia Adrenalin 13. I wanted shop to do that, because, whatever. But then my boots are @Tahoe, so I found some old boot (only one) so I can just give it to them, will readjust anyway. They refused, said they now need two boots. WTF. No idea where the second boot is. OK, let me buy a pair of boots (so I can return it after that). No, they refuse to sell it to me, as I intend to return them. I would have uttered some choice words and walked out, but they were the only shop around with those bindings.. Any Mountain that is.. and with a little discount as well.

So just got them, very nice semi transparent template included, just measured stuff, marked holes. Too late to drill (5/32" should work, on Atomic Atlas?), and need to find some old g-flex epoxy I had around since last year (from laminating ud carbon fibre on my pumping skateboard.. it was a bit flexy). Leaves slightly under 24hr cure time before a possible trip on Tuesday, but that should work.

That's pretty fucked up IMHO, that a shop can't even mount a fucking binding, can't they just ask me to sign some release? Damn fucking lawyers.

Another bomber mount using JiggyRex. Voile Chargers BC's with Plum heels and Dyna Rad toes, sweet!

Checked the pin alignment before cranking down the screws fully and its dead on with both boots. Don't get no better than that.
    Last edited by scottyb; 02-10-2014 at 06:39 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Woohoo. Mounted my own fucking skis. First time since 1993. When I was slighly more reckless, and don't remember even bothering with epoxy and stuff. Used G-flex one now. Tightened bolts by hand, was kinda paranoid about ripping it. By feel about the same torque I use on bike stems and such, I guess will be enough. One slider on Adrenalin is kinda sticky. Will finish and adjust in a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Offwidth View Post
    I actually was lazy to mount my new Tyrolia Adrenalin 13. I wanted shop to do that, because, whatever. But then my boots are @Tahoe, so I found some old boot (only one) so I can just give it to them, will readjust anyway. They refused, said they now need two boots. WTF. No idea where the second boot is. OK, let me buy a pair of boots (so I can return it after that). No, they refuse to sell it to me, as I intend to return them. I would have uttered some choice words and walked out, but they were the only shop around with those bindings.. Any Mountain that is.. and with a little discount as well.

So just got them, very nice semi transparent template included, just measured stuff, marked holes. Too late to drill (5/32" should work, on Atomic Atlas?), and need to find some old g-flex epoxy I had around since last year (from laminating ud carbon fibre on my pumping skateboard.. it was a bit flexy). Leaves slightly under 24hr cure time before a possible trip on Tuesday, but that should work.

That's pretty fucked up IMHO, that a shop can't even mount a fucking binding, can't they just ask me to sign some release? Damn fucking lawyers.
    Walk away. The adrenalins are finicky and a stupid shop can really fuck up. Watch out if you use the supplied template, the creases can move the plates from where they should be. I would print a new template.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Walk away. The adrenalins are finicky and a stupid shop can really fuck up. Watch out if you use the supplied template, the creases can move the plates from where they should be. I would print a new template.
    Yes, I walked away. Yes, they are finicky. Template was fine, but one hole came out just very slightly off, even as I drilled a thin pilot hole first everywhere. Maybe center punch slid a little bit when I marked it - textured top sheet. Should have marked with an awl first. Since the plate slides around the screws, and they sit on a metal shim, one binding is a bit sticky when opening and closing, and the shim seems tiny little bit warped, but not to the point where it should cause any premature wear. I also grabbed a bit of metal layer on one hole when countersinking it freehand, but it seems fine, added a bit more g-flex to that hole.
    Otherwise seems aligned absolutely perfectly. I do not think a jig could have done a much better job. Supplied template was rolled neatly on a semitransparent paper - no creases, and convenient guides to double check centering.

This is crazy. It's easy enough to mount the bindings without a boot present. Damn fucking lawyers, indeed.

Should have marked with an awl first.
    Or just a finishing nail. (Tip pulled from Wildsnow’s excellent dynafit mount guide…)

Just mounted yet another pair of fucking skis with great success.

Another tip:
    If you like a certain kind of binding or you at least think you might use that binding again, you can make a semi-permanent template of your BSL for that binding by laying a thin sheet of Plexiglas over the holes on a ski that you just removed that binding from. Carefully mark the centre line of the skis, the boot centre line, indicate which end of the template is the ski tip, then mark the hole locations and drill holes about the same size as your awl/punch. Keep this for next time.

You still need to use the same techniques to find the centre line of the new ski but to locate your new holes, just clamp the template to the ski in the correct place and punch away.

I can post a pic of my ghetto FKS template if wanted...
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

After 2 botched shop mounts in a year I sacked up and mounted my own fucking skis this morning. Twice.

And a pair for my kid.

Now I just have to figure out how to deal with misaligned brake tabs on the sth16's.

Thanks to everyone for the tips in this thread!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1392492076.896978.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	150685

Mounted my very own fucking skis. Went well except for one minor issue, both boot centres are approx >0.5cm forward of my intended position. I Measured with a straight pull on tips and tails, and the mark landed right on the factory recommended lines. Lined up the proper bsl hash's with the templates, but for some reason both sides are just slightly forward. Not a big deal, but if i'm making an error somewhere I'd like to know. Is it possible my very well worn boot toes are worn out that much? Seems unlikely...

mounted my own fuckin skis with some aid from the suprechick last night. vicik's got plums and dynaduke toe shims. it's nice when things go smoothly.

Nice quiver there optics.

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    both boot centres are approx >0.5cm forward of my intended position. I Measured with a straight pull on tips and tails, and the mark landed right on the factory recommended lines. Lined up the proper bsl hash's with the templates, but for some reason both sides are just slightly forward.
    My first thought is that the BSL isn't correct, i.e. the number on the shell is a few mm off. It's more common than you'd think. When doing home mounts, it's not a bad idea to measure the actual length of the shell just to be sure.

Just mounted my own fucking monoski. Thanks jondrums for the template, way better than eyeballing it. The Sally R6 paper worked perfect for these old, but bomber all metal 957 driver's.

Only thing I did different is I laid up the 4 sheets on the bench to get the binders perfectly parallel, scribed a new center line, then took it to the ski as a one piece jig.

Worked perfect, way better than it really needed to be for this pond skimming rig.

Name:	Bindings 001.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	151526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bindings 002.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	151525
    DUMB N DANGEROUS

^ wait, how many poles do you use with a monoski? 1,2,4?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    ^ wait, how many poles do you use with a monoski? 1,2,4?
    none...for pond skimming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiruJbxZTZA
    DUMB N DANGEROUS

Just mounted up another pair of TLT Speeds, this time on a pair of BD Zealots. I am a cheap ass bastard. I refuse to buy special bits and taps. I prefer to buy Rainier in the "Half Quarts" with my hard earned dough. So, I follow Lou's advice on Wildsnow and use a 5/32 bit. The Zealots have a thin sheet of metal so I tapped that with a sharp screw from another binding. I use the folded paper trick to find center and I use a wine cork as a stop. A couple of other tricks include using a transparency for the template and a sharp nail to mark the holes before punching. I also add a little epoxy for assurance. Once again, the thing came out bang on. All the tools are cool, but if anybody is wondering about dirtbagging it and getting good results, here's your testimonial.
    Last edited by blackdog102395; 03-14-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer Goooooooooooo!
    watch out for snakes

Mounted my own fucking skis in my own fucking shop. My own fucking CAST system with my own fucking p18s on my own fucking Billy Goats. My own fucking turn to rage at my own fucking mountain. Just gotta be careful with my own fucking broken rib.

Name:	IMG_1548.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	152847

Name:	IMG_1549.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	152848

I will post this in a separate thread, but for those of you with the CAST and any mount questions, not wanting to sift through the HUGE thread, my directions are below.

1. Mount binding toes to respective plates with #4 allen screws. Use vibra-tite. Shortest screws for Dynafits, slightly longer screws for Binding Toe piece.
    2. Slap the Template on the ole skis, measure a billion times, Drill holes.
    3. Mount the toe plate with the appropriate posi-drive screws. On the p18, they are 13mm. Don't forget the locking piece.
    4. Mount the heel riser under the binding heel with remaining posi screws. They are pretty long on the p18s.
    5. Mount the climbing bale after the screws are set by inserting one side and slowly lining up the other climbing wire arm with the corresponding hole in the heel riser. I used my posi-drive as a lever against the heel piece of the binding.
    6. Let em Dry.
    7. Cut skins
    8. Take em out.

Note: there is a little bit of slop with the look plate mounted and a lot with the dynafit plate mounted. However, it goes away with a boot engaged.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I got a friend with big titties that wants a dyna mount on older Manaslus. Super easy except the heal patterns don't match.

I'd figure just drop the heal back and mount as if it never had inserts but I don't own Manaslus and don't know anything about them. I could use heli-coils if necessary but anyone know why this wouldn't work.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

I think pictures of said big titties would help
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I think pictures of said big titties would help
    This is true though perhaps a difficult sell.

Yo you know those skis you want mounted, yeah I'm gonna need to see those fun bags......LOL
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    Yo you know those skis you want mounted, yeah I'm gonna need to see those fun bags......LOL

pairs so well with your avatar. that dude could bring the kitties out.

Just post up some tities from anywhereinternet, he won't know the diff.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    I got a friend with big titties that wants a dyna mount on older Manaslus. Super easy except the heal patterns don't match.

I'd figure just drop the heal back and mount as if it never had inserts but I don't own Manaslus and don't know anything about them. I could use heli-coils if necessary but anyone know why this wouldn't work.
    As far as I know, the dynafit heel pattern did not change with the radical evolution. The toe pattern did though with the front two holes moving 12mm forward and the center hole being eliminated.

Assuming you have newer radicals and the old mansulus, I've heard you have room to drill for the different hole spacing in the toe but have not verified

I just went to mount my Pivot 14. As i was testing on a 2x4, i found that the heel is way off on the template. Where the farthest two rear screws go on the template is about 3.5 cms from where the screw actually sits on the binding.

Any advice?
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb