Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1952

The chainsaw thread...

O snap
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7499.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	401290

This is my ms241c. It’s a picco chain and bar. Suggestions for bar replacement? I love how light the saw is. Is there a cost/benefit/durability recommendation for replacing with something aftermarket that’s lighter? It’s generally my workhorse, all day saw.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    O snap

This is my ms241c. It’s a picco chain and bar. Suggestions for bar replacement? I love how light the saw is. Is there a cost/benefit/durability recommendation for replacing with something aftermarket that’s lighter? It’s generally my workhorse, all day saw.
    Oregon bar and chain all the way.
    "Let's be careful out there."

haven't built a farmertec but bought pre built and am happy so far. bought two but much smaller saws.

I bet the prebuilt is worth it if they have it available.

Wicked cold today

Name:  70FD2ADF-6E45-4B20-93BD-6E303D9CD9E0.jpeg
Views: 515
Size:  69.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    Oregon bar and chain all the way.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Wicked cold today

Name:  70FD2ADF-6E45-4B20-93BD-6E303D9CD9E0.jpeg
Views: 515
Size:  69.1 KB
    I laffed and showed my wife, who replied with "not so funny from my perspective"

Fuck

O snap

Oregon or Stihl picco bars are similar in quality and weight, as long as the gauge is the same. Your chain in the image doesn't look like picco, though, and is full chisel anyhow. Also, you might be able to straighten the chain wherever it's bent..the bar looks to be toast.

You don't want that low profile .043 gauge bar/chain. That's sold with the little saws like the 170, 150T or 193T. That said, are you sure your 241C is fitted with .375 (technically .365) low pro and not .325 chain? (Also, some of the little saws are now fitted with 1/4 pitch chain)

While i have your attention, I'm now retired, but have an almost full 100' reel of Stihl full chisel .375 low pro chain. not the smoothest, but always the fastest cutting. I could spin you a couple loops for a better price than retail.

Picked up this ol girl recently. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220105_161041.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	401351

I just clicked on a link that sez the saw came in 036 and 036 pro which suprised me,

goods saws

https://architectboy.com/stihl-036-vs-036-pro/
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-16-2022 at 10:12 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Need a new saw, ms251 needs some work and frankly it's been abused for 5 years as it just doesn't have the ass to cut through all the oak I've been dropping.

How's Stihl pricing and availability right now? Any options to buy online? Local dealer sucks.

Not really impressed by Husqvarna saws when I handle them, but never run one.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Need a new saw, ms251 needs some work and frankly it's been abused for 5 years as it just doesn't have the ass to cut through all the oak I've been dropping.

How's Stihl pricing and availability right now? Any options to buy online? Local dealer sucks.

251 is not a pro saw, is not a farm & ranch saw, it is a HOMEOWNER saw which is probably why it doesnt do it anymore and it probably never really did

look at the sthil or husky site for a proffesional or industrial quality saw, they will have more power, more chain speed they will run all day, they will cost > twice as much as a homeowner saw but you won't be buying another saw in 5 years

Norsemans new-to-him 036 is > 20 yars old and I bet it cuts like the day it was new
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-16-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I just clicked on a link that sez the saw came in 036 and 036 pro which suprised me,

goods saws

https://architectboy.com/stihl-036-vs-036-pro/
    Only differences: Pro version had a decomp valve and adjustable oiler.

I don't recall ever owning an 036, but I did have an 034 Super, which I later converted by replacing its jug with an 036 jug. I mostly had a Simpson capstan winch mounted to it.

The chainsaw thread...

Quote Originally Posted by rbtree View Post

Oregon or Stihl picco bars are similar in quality and weight, as long as the gauge is the same. Your chain in the image doesn't look like picco, though, and is full chisel anyhow. Also, you might be able to straighten the chain wherever it's bent..the bar looks to be toast.

You don't want that low profile .043 gauge bar/chain. That's sold with the little saws like the 170, 150T or 193T. That said, are you sure your 241C is fitted with .375 (technically .365) low pro and not .325 chain? (Also, some of the little saws are now fitted with 1/4 pitch chain)

While i have your attention, I'm now retired, but have an almost full 100' reel of Stihl full chisel .375 low pro chain. not the smoothest, but always the fastest cutting. I could spin you a couple loops for a better price than retail.
    Thanks!!

I’d be down for two loops more if you can do it - thanks!! the chain has one “skip,” I assume because of loop length. That’s the skip shown in the photo. It’s a 3/8P” 0.50” pitch (see photo below of the bar specs). So it looks like a 0.375 low pro chain (63ps3 or 63ps). I have two loops for that saw (now more like 1 functional loop). From the photo, it looks like it’s got an anti kickback bumper (I’m not partial to needing a bumper and prefer a faster chain).

Name:	IMG_7500.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	401383

I also need a new handle for the ms241.

Yesterday’s job, I wrapped it up with my formerly abused ms361. The carb is still acting funny when at idle. “Erratic” is the term I’d use. I’m gonna go through and try to ear tune it again, do some bucking of big wood, and see how it goes. My neighbor (30+ year pro car mechanic, not a 2-stroke pro) thinks that some of the moving parts may be worn out. He’ll sit down with me and check the for air leaks in the carb (i don’t know how to do that), but he’s hedging that the carb may need replacing. The question: cheaper Chinese-made carb or expensive OEM carb? What are the functional problems/issues that people are having with the Chinese-made carbs?

Thanks!!

I’d be down for two loops more if you can do it - thanks!! the chain has one “skip,” I assume because of loop length. That’s the skip shown in the photo. It’s a 3/8P” 0.50” pitch (see photo below of the bar specs). So it looks like a 0.375 low pro chain (63ps3 or 63ps). I have two loops for that saw (now more like 1 functional loop). From the photo, it looks like it’s got an anti kickback bumper (I’m not partial to needing a bumper and prefer a faster chain).

Yesterday’s job, I wrapped it up with my formerly abused ms361. The carb is still acting funny when at idle. “Erratic” is the term I’d use. I’m gonna go through and try to ear tune it again, do some bucking of big wood, and see how it goes. My neighbor (30+ year pro car mechanic, not a 2-stroke pro) thinks that some of the moving parts may be worn out. He’ll sit down with me and check the for air leaks in the carb (i don’t know how to do that), but he’s hedging that the carb may need replacing. The question: cheaper Chinese-made carb or expensive OEM carb? What are the functional problems/issues that people are having with the Chinese-made carbs?
    Carbs can go bad, but rarely. More likely it needs a good cleaning, or a kit.

Let me know the drive link count... the chain is the 63 PS (pro) I'd say $30 plus ~$5 for shipping.. It might cost more for shipping, but if it does, I could cut some $ off the chain cost. Send me a pm..... with some details.

Thanks!!

Carbs can go bad, but rarely. More likely it needs a good cleaning, or a kit.

Let me know the drive link count... the chain is the 63 PS (pro) I'd say $30 plus ~$5 for shipping.. It might cost more for shipping, but if it does, I could cut some $ off the chain cost. Send me a pm..... with some details.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post

Don’t like how a Husky “feels” without running it? Run one. A big thumping Husky beats a whinny Stihl. Better saws, cheaper, cheaper parts and all without a legacy of Nazi slave labor; there is a reason Stihls are nicknamed “Adolf” and “SS Stihl.”

The only thing Stihl does better is marketing and size of their dealer network.

Buy a pro Husky, keep the filters and plug clean, mix your gas right and never buy another saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    there is a reason Stihls are nicknamed “Adolf” and “SS Stihl.”
    WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    WOW.
    It would be one thing if as a company they had done more to make it right or at least acknowledge their past wrong doings (like VW has), but this little anniversary bio clearly does nothing for atonement:

https://www.stihlusa.com/information...Q2OTUzMi41NA..

Instead Andreas Stihl is couched as a pioneering triumph who “overcame the adversity of the war” rather than as a benefactor of Nazism.

Furthermore, Andreas actively tried to keep his daughter for entering his company in 1969 despite her being well qualified.

Yup I went political in the chainsaw thread. I agree with my late grandfather, a pro timber faller and later master saw mechanic. “Fuck ‘em I will buy something else with my money”

All history and politics aside. Husky pro saws are the best at this time.

Serioulsy dude asking Sthil or Husky is like asking should I buy the ford vs the chevy, which means they are both at a level you wana think about local service vs the quality of the product

My sthil dealer is pretty good, but they also carry Jonsered, which btw is mfg by Sthil along with a whole shwack of products that would suprise you

so whom am I suposed to hate here ?

Serioulsy dude asking Sthil or Husky is like asking should I buy the ford vs the chevy, which means they are both at a level you wana think about local service vs the quality of the product

My sthil dealer is pretty good, but they also carry Jonsered, which btw is mfg by Sthil along with a whole shwack of products that would suprise you

so whom am I suposed to hate here ?
    And while xxx-er's Stihl dealer is top notch I am stuck bringing my Husky down the street to the local Husky dealer who not only can't fix a thing, but also happens to be ardent anti-mask, Covid is a hoax, *sshole types. So basically, I'm not bringing my saw there which leaves me without a dealer.

So I guess I am seconding what xxx-er said about the importance of the dealer in your area.

but they also carry Jonsered, which btw is mfg by Sthil
    Incorrect. Jonsered's are essentially Husqvarnas. both brands are owned by Electrolux.

As an arborist and tree service owner that first worked in and on trees in 1975, I have used many brands of saws: McCullough, Homelite, Echo, Partner, Solo, Poulan, Shindaiwa, Sachs Dolmar and Dolmar (now owned by Makita), Stihl, and Husqvarna. In my industry, we have more diverse needs than loggers. we need light, powerful saws for climbing, as well as beefy behemoths for big butt cuts in big timber still found here and there.... I've had many fully woods ported saws, the most being Husky followed by Dolmar. I know that Stihl makes fine products..heck, they even have the first fuel injected saw, which is well liked, I'm retired so not looking for new saws. If anyone wants to see my ~13 hp, fully woods ported 3120XP in action head over to youtube and search for rbtree and 2002 Tree Work......

It’s not a Ford vs Chevy comparison. It’s a Volvo or VW/BMW/Benz comparison. However these company’s positions are everything that Stihl isn’t. They have publicly admitted culpability and made moves for repair. Here is Daimler:

https://www.daimler.com/company/trad...1933-1945.html

Yes, Stihl has a larger dealer network, but any Stihl shop will work on and be able to get parts for a Husky.

Husky doesn’t change shit just to change shit. Got a parts Husky saw? The parts will probably work. Got a Stihl parts saw of even the same model, good luck they probably re-engineered the bolt pattern.

Buy an ugly Stihl if you want. You will spend more $$ all the way around for not a better saw.

I will save any comment on ski industry ties to Nazi slave labor for a different time and place.

Just so I am not all political and argumentative today here are some helpful tips for saws:

1. saw running like shit? Change filter (air and fuel) and plug, leave the carb alone unless you know how to tune
    2. Don’t cut above your shoulders (unless you are a skilled arborist like our friend RBTree with the right equipment
    3. Never disable the chain brake
    4. Keep your thumbs around both grips
    5. Don’t put your chain in the dirt, roll the logs when cutting firewood. If the chain went in the dirt, time for a new one
    6. Knock down your risers with a flat file. Often high risers are why the chain won’t cut well
    7. Two best way to blowup a saw are dull chains and shitty mix
    8. Full skip, chisel, chain is best if you have a big enough saw and access to a grinder
    9. Watch your toes and never rest your saw on your thigh

Incorrect. Jonsered's are essentially Husqvarnas. both brands are owned by Electrolux.

As an arborist and tree service owner that first worked in and on trees in 1975, I have used many brands of saws: McCullough, Homelite, Echo, Partner, Solo, Poulan, Shindaiwa, Sachs Dolmar and Dolmar (now owned by Makita), Stihl, and Husqvarna. In my industry, we have more diverse needs than loggers. we need light, powerful saws for climbing, as well as beefy behemoths for big butt cuts in big timber still found here and there.... I've had many fully woods ported saws, the most being Husky followed by Dolmar. I know that Stihl makes fine products..heck, they even have the first fuel injected saw, which is well liked, I'm retired.
    Yup i got the words/ brands mixed up, Jonsered is basicly a husky but i wouldn't have a problem buying any of those 3 brands the bigger thing IMO is did you cheap out or buy a pro quality saw ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_Group husky owns a lots of stuff

as Angle parking points out we got a lot of dumb ass anti mask/ anti vax types in town, from the tire dealer to the womens lingere, I didnt know the local husky dealer was such a dumb ass I just thot he might not be much at fixing things, the dealer AP bought from was a good guy and I almost did also but unfortunatley that guy went under so I'm glad I bought sthil instead and at the time they were including a saw case/ hat/ spare chain so Sthil was a better deal

Only differences: Pro version had a decomp valve and adjustable oiler.

I don't recall ever owning an 036, but I did have an 034 Super, which I later converted by replacing its jug with an 036 jug. I mostly had a Simpson capstan winch mounted to it.
    Fucking nazis aside, the 036 is a fine saw. I almost shit when I saw one in this condition in a local pawnshop.

Name:	IMG_20200322_143910 (1).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	402125

IBM supported/ did business with them Fucking Nazi's, I cant believe I spent all them paychecks

but how can the rest of you drive one of them Japanese cars or look at a TV, or an LT, or a cell phone ?