Page 128 of 275 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 6863
    20 mm works like a charm, 18 would only hang on a coupla threads, I'd stay away from those.

Get a small piece of plastic (or aluminum) tubing with a relatively thick wall and tap the M5 thread. Thread the flat head all the way into the tubing, chuck it up in a drill and use the drill to spin the screw while you grind the head on grinding wheel. It works quickly and efficiently to make a nice round head for the size you need. I used to make my small head screws on a lathe, but used the above method last year for some S900's that I put onto some screws inserted for STH.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    Get a small piece of plastic (or aluminum) tubing with a relatively thick wall and tap the M5 thread. Thread the flat head all the way into the tubing, chuck it up in a drill and use the drill to spin the screw while you grind the head on grinding wheel. It works quickly and efficiently to make a nice round head for the size you need. I used to make my small head screws on a lathe, but used the above method last year for some S900's that I put onto some screws inserted for STH.
    I was doing this the other night with an insert chucked into the drill.

Works great

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on
    just checkin in
    youse are crushing it
    but.....
    me and my crew have mounted more skis than this long ass thread has replies
    since black Friday

and throw in a hundred phantom waxes to boot
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Fkna SFB! That crew deserves a beer or 30.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    whats goin on

me and my crew have mounted more skis than this long ass thread has replies
    since black Friday
    yeah but how many root canals have you done ?

how many mounts per tech per shift ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    For touring mounts, I remove and wipe the screw after the epoxy sets but before cure, which allows a clean screw to be extracted without heat. I do that because I want the ability to remove and reuse a clean screw if there's an issue in the field.
    Good idea, but maybe put a tiny dab of Gorilla Glue on the screw when threading it back into your epoxy "threads" to reseal it from water intrusion?

Re: marker schizo 14

Is it correct that there is no AFD height adjustment?

Mounted my 4th pair today, and had my first casualty. Beware getting fingers caught in Pivots. I'll be sans a fingernail in a couple weeks, I'm afraid. Had to drill it to let the blood out last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Mounted my 4th pair today, and had my first casualty. Beware getting fingers caught in Pivots. I'll be sans a fingernail in a couple weeks, I'm afraid. Had to drill it to let the blood out last night.
    Dildo snapped up and caught it against the wire bail that holds the heel up? I've done that before when adjusting Pivots with a bit too much bourbon in me.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Dildo snapped up and caught it against the wire bail that holds the heel up? I've done that before when adjusting Pivots with a bit too much bourbon in me.
    Yup exactly. Alcohol may have been involved. Just another sacrifice to Ullr

Same... Glad I'm not the only one. Lost the whole nail

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Same... Glad I'm not the only one. Lost the whole nail

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
    I only got two bruised knuckles last week...

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

I got two fingers caught just past the last knuckle in an unmounted pivot last week and with only one available hand, had to pretty much just pull them out millimeter by millimeter. Tops of fingers are still a little numb. Was fiddling with brake arms a couple days ago and had another unmounted pivot snap closed on the meat of my right index finger hard enough to draw blood. While mounting a pivot today, the steel baseplate blew off and all the guts spilled out. Narrowly missed getting nailed by the spring as it shot out of the brake. Tis the season, I guess. I hope I’ve learned my lesson at this point.

First time mounted here. I’m getting tired of paying for mounts and the inconvenience of finding a shop that had the jig. I’m also traveling through Morocco, will be going home to 2-3 days to get a pair of sticks mounted before going back to school.

I’m mounting up a pair of G3 Empire Carbon 115s with Dynafit Beast 14 bindings.... I’ve looked through this thread and gotten a general idea of what I’m going to need, but can someone give me some more specifics?

I’ve got a good cordless drill, can find a paper template, but want to know which drill bit size I should use, which epoxy/glue to keep the screws in, where to find a center tap, etc... I will probably keep mounting skis once I get the feel for it so I don’t mind the investment.

Thanks team! Just a young gun trying to get away from Epic Mountain Gear and Evo...

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    First time mounted here. I’m getting tired of paying for mounts and the inconvenience of finding a shop that had the jig. I’m also traveling through Morocco, will be going home to 2-3 days to get a pair of sticks mounted before going back to school.

I’m mounting up a pair of G3 Empire Carbon 115s with Dynafit Beast 14 bindings.... I’ve looked through this thread and gotten a general idea of what I’m going to need, but can someone give me some more specifics?

I’ve got a good cordless drill, can find a paper template, but want to know which drill bit size I should use, which epoxy/glue to keep the screws in, where to find a center tap, etc... I will probably keep mounting skis once I get the feel for it so I don’t mind the investment.

Thanks team! Just a young gun trying to get away from Epic Mountain Gear and Evo...
    I went from zero to hero on bindings this year from the info here and talking to a buddy that is a long time ski tech. My take is get the real drill bit like wintersteiger. Worth it to not drill through your skis and then cleans up the holes. Get a good metal ruler, metric makes it easier. Tape and sharpy and long ruler.
    For glue people debate this but agree on using something rather than nothing. I have used wood glue then got some roo glue.
    You don't need a center punch. I used a nail. Center punch better.
    Finally for my first mount I first mounted on a scrap lumber. Clicked my boot in and felt like I did it right so I could drill skis.
    Just be careful. Mark the ski and then rest the bindings on there and look at it before drilling.
    If you don't have prior mount holes to work around, it's really easy.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

What do you think about reusing old holes that have been plugged? Used skis for my kid 123 line snow angel. Looks like the toe was moved back at some point. Want to put it back in plugged holes. Just drill out the plugs and screw it in with roo glue?
    And I realize don't go so deep. 7.5 mm says on the ski

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jhyatt; 12-16-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Mounted my own deathwishes with shifts on BF inserts. Going straight for the inserts was a rookie mistake, I probably did 10 failed test mounts and 5 okay-ish ones. Was forced to mount for real before I felt confident because my inserts started to strip.

If you're tapping you may as well drill by hand IMO as the tapping seems to be the main determinant of the screw angle. I messed around with drilling by hand, with a binding freedom drill guide, and with a janky old drill press that probably wasn't true vertical. All my results varied wildly based on the tapping by hand. Next time I do it I will make a guide block for the tap and probably just freehand the drill. I did end up using the drill press for ease of centering because it allowed me to visually adjust the center of the widening hole to match the template during the tapering beginning of the drill bit. Center punching was not a reliable way to exactly center the bit. The punches don't always center exactly where the tip of the punch is placed and if a punch was off it was worse than useless and impossible to repunch.

As mentioned in this thread I should definitely have done a normal screw mount of the binding and then widened the holes to insert width instead of going straight for inserts. That would have allowed any centering issues to be found and fixed before it was too late.

Miraculously it all worked out though! The final result wasn't 100% dead perfect but the screws went in just fine with minimal strain on one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    I got two fingers caught just past the last knuckle in an unmounted pivot last week and with only one available hand, had to pretty much just pull them out millimeter by millimeter. Tops of fingers are still a little numb. Was fiddling with brake arms a couple days ago and had another unmounted pivot snap closed on the meat of my right index finger hard enough to draw blood. While mounting a pivot today, the steel baseplate blew off and all the guts spilled out. Narrowly missed getting nailed by the spring as it shot out of the brake. Tis the season, I guess. I hope I’ve learned my lesson at this point.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Did my thumb about 7 years ago and lost the nail. I keep my hands away from those fuckers now.

Crushed mine last year.

The worst were the Geze heels from the late ‘80’s. Those fuckers would wreck you

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I hate to revel in all y’all’s pain, but I’m glad I’m not the only JONG to lose a fingernail to some pivots.

Mounted my own fucking skis last night. Swiss cheese praxis Freeride. I put aattack 13 demos on to spread the hole pattern. Previous mounts were dynafit. Confidence is high.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I hate to revel in all y’all’s pain, but I’m glad I’m not the only JONG to lose a fingernail to some pivots.
    I can also vouch that both thumb and heel retention are solid. I believe its why they are such a beloved binding.

Ok, question. I have both a set of STH2 13's and Attack 13's sitting in a box. Which should I mount on my kids new park skis??
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I can also vouch that both thumb and heel retention are solid. I believe its why they are such a beloved binding.

Ok, question. I have both a set of STH2 13's and Attack 13's sitting in a box. Which should I mount on my kids new park skis??
    Attacks have less ramp angle right? If so do those.

i mounted 2 pr fucking skis this weekend
    dodging multiple old mounts w/ some old griffons on a beater pair of rossi smash 7's for the kid
    mantra m5s w/ sth2 13s pour moi

the killer step for me every single time is printing the template...my printer does not want to retain settings...gotta manually measure that paper each time to double check