Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast Surf

So my brother's wedding is in cape cod the 2nd week of June. From my limited research pretty much looks like June is one of the worst times of the year there, but a slim chance of swell. Where should I check out? What rubber do I need then? Was thinking of just bringing my hoodless 4/3 but perhaps that is way too warm by June.

June is a little early for board shorts, but things do get quite warm south of the cape. And you can still get plenty of spring squall swells in June. I'd look for a 3/2 and a longboard. Where on the car will you be? It is fairly long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    And invest in some rubber. Winters are a bit chilly on the water.
    I was eyeing the Xcel 4/3 Drylock for 48+ and Patagonia R4 for below, if this is something I really want to pursue. As far as locations go I would be going anywhere from Seabrook to Wells is pretty doable for me. Hell on weekends I go to Cannon. But like with Cannon, really looking for a some guys out of UNH to make the gas bearable.
    Last edited by Pudge.; 05-10-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Check in with some of the guys who are still surfing those spots, but that seems like a lot if suit overlap an cash. My buddy in ME rarely pulls out his R4 and surfs his R3 most if fall/winter/spring. I would think the dry lock might be a bit warm in the spring/summer/fall period. But maybe you return home to some pace else.

I used to have a hooded 4/3 for winters that worked on all but the coldest days. A 3/2 for late spring and mid autumn an often surfed in a long john or shorty during summers. Even could board short a few weeks in the warmest years.

I'd look into one bomber warm suit to deal with the coldest days. And then perhaps a mid level 4/3, so you can save some cash for a cheap 3/2.

Today I was in a 3/2 a little north of Hampton, air 72, water 48, and I was on the struggle bus. Its possible I just have a low tolerance for cold but my instructor was in his hooded 4/3 Drylock that he said he used in Spring and Fall. He was traveling all winter so he didn't say anything about if he would have used his Drylock then.

I am going to look around for sure, those were just some suits that stood out to me. What would you call a midlevel 4/3?

I don't know model names, but the dry lock is excel's top of the line suit with bomber seams. Look at a model a price point below.

The RipCurl ebomb is their entry level suit. It is blind stitched (I think) and has tape below the waist and at "critical points". Or where three panels come together. Anyway, I use it in 54F and above (assume sunny, slight wind, and 60F plus air). and have no complaints regarding warmth. I use my hooded R3 for colder days.

Point being, spend your cash on a nice warm suit for the cold days, and get something a little cheaper to fit between that suit and your 3/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    June is a little early for board shorts, but things do get quite warm south of the cape. And you can still get plenty of spring squall swells in June. I'd look for a 3/2 and a longboard. Where on the car will you be? It is fairly long.
    I was hoping to avoid the 3/2 purchase. I also own 2mm top and bottoms for tropicalish type trips when the sun isn't blazing and the wing is up. I.e. baja. A 3/2 purchase would complete the wetsuit stable though.
    At the base of the cape. Near bourne. I guess that's another good question. How long are the drives around there? Maybe it's better to go southwest versus east on the cape.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    I was hoping to avoid the 3/2 purchase. I also own 2mm top and bottoms for tropicalish type trips when the sun isn't blazing and the wing is up. I.e. baja. A 3/2 purchase would complete the wetsuit stable though.
    At the base of the cape. Near bourne. I guess that's another good question. How long are the drives around there? Maybe it's better to go southwest versus east on the cape.
    Water on the outer cape doesn't really warm up in the summer like it does over in RI, you'd be fine in a 4/3. From Bourne the traffic can be a nightmare if you time it wrong. RI is accessible from Bourne via the 195 and will open up your chances of finding something rideable from the South/Southwest and the cape will pull in anything from the Southeast to Northeast. What dates are you traveling? I might have an extra board if you need.

June 5th-12th. But realistically surfing the 8th-12th after the wedding unless a swell pops up. I'll be renting boards for my wife and my little brother is into surfing now as well so we might as well find a shop. I certainly won't be bringing a board. Seems like it will be some long board cruising unless I get extremely lucky. I enjoy long board cruising.
    Always down for a surf if you are around piggity.

Cool man, I'll send ya a PM

Bring the 4/3. You don't have to zip it and you can flush it if you get hot. If it looks like it is going to be hot, and you are thinking if long boarding in RI, might e worth bringin the 2mm gear. When I'm in a log, I can get away with a lot less rubber.

Pigs gots ya on beta. Ping rog as well. He is down on the cape sometimes. I much prefer RI. Especially if there is swell. Points and reefs galore.
    Last edited by Ottime; 05-13-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Rog is still banned, otherwise I'd send these questions his way as well

Uh-oh. He must have done something really bad to get banned from this place. No wonder he has been so quite recently. I just thought that Maine went flat or something.

I'd like to amend my temps on the ebomb. I went out the other day. Warm upper 70s air, but the water was 53. Still plenty warm. And to note, the ebomb is an entry level suit for RipCurl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge. View Post
    strawjack, is their movie available for download anywhere? Missed the Portsmouth premier.
    Not that I'm aware of. I think the Music Hall was it. They are in SD now showing it.

Today I was in a 3/2 a little north of Hampton, air 72, water 48, and I was on the struggle bus. Its possible I just have a low tolerance for cold but my instructor was in his hooded 4/3 Drylock that he said he used in Spring and Fall. He was traveling all winter so he didn't say anything about if he would have used his Drylock then.

I am going to look around for sure, those were just some suits that stood out to me. What would you call a midlevel 4/3?
    What shop?

3/2 summer
    4/3 spring/fall - hood
    winter suit

It sucks, but you can just buy a 4/3 and be hot in the summer. The bitch is the thickness. Rog wears a 4/3 all summer. Actually, I only have a 4/3 now too, but I just wait for board short weather anyway.

Cinnamon Rainbows

Does entry make a difference? Easier to flush a back zip v chest? I just don't want to be cold. I wanted to surf all day except I was ready to throw up with every plunge, and I fell a lot, naturally.

I am trying to get one wetsuit soon, and then keep renting a board for I think they said 15? every saturday morning for 4 hours

But now my buddy says that our instructor wasn't wearing a Drylock. Man I didn't think rubber would be this complicated

Cinnamon Rainbows

Does entry make a difference? Easier to flush a back zip v chest? I just don't want to be cold. I wanted to surf all day except I was ready to throw up with every plunge, and I fell a lot, naturally.

I am trying to get one wetsuit soon, and then keep renting a board for I think they said 15? every saturday morning for 4 hours
    In general, a back zip will flush more than a front zip, depending on the make/model. On most front zips, the zip is only zipping the flap you pull over your head to the suit and it is not zipping the actual wetsuit together the same way a back zip does (if that makes sense). Front zips are usually more work to get off/on but that's why they flush less.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    What shop?

3/2 summer
    4/3 spring/fall - hood
    winter suit

It sucks, but you can just buy a 4/3 and be hot in the summer. The bitch is the thickness. Rog wears a 4/3 all summer. Actually, I only have a 4/3 now too, but I just wait for board short weather anyway.
    1) rog does a lot of things other would consider a bit eccentric.
    2) I agree with your 3/2, 4/3, winter suit scenerio.

I surfed Maine for many a spring/summer/fall and over one winter. The other winters I surfed in either RI or Long Island, which tend to be quite a bit warmer. A 4/3 in summer would be miserable except on the coldest, cloudiest and windiest days. Yes, the water is cool, but tends to be in the low 60s, and the air can exceed 90F. Anyway, if I was surfing year round in ME, I would build my quiver as such.

1) Spend my cash on a bomber winter suit. If I plan to surf year round, I'd rather be too hot in February than too cold. Something like a R4 or Drylock. Hooded. At the end of every winter season, I would triple wash it and put it away in a dark closet for summer. Make that thing last, cause they are not cheap.
    2) Next, I'd make sure I have a summer suit. A middle of the line or entry level 3/2. I tend to run warm, so I'd be fine with a back zip.
    3) 4/3, no hood, to fill the gap. Something like the ebomb chest zip would fit the bill. Flush makes a bigger difference in colder water/air. I don't really mind the minimal flush one gets with blind stitched not taped/glued seams. So, I'd save money there and get a suit that has the legs glued or taped, but not the upper body.
    4) Buy a hood. Probably a squid lid. 5mm boots. Maybe 3mm boots. 3 finger gloves. And likely h20 2mm gloves (best fucking surf glove out there!)

Get a jug to carry hot water and have it waiting in the car. Sometimes that hardest part is changing out of the suit. I used to ride the NYC subway and change at the beach. Wool socks and sheep skin gloves helped.

One way to save money is to not get the pricey winter suit and just buy a bomber 4/3 and also a 1mm vest w/ hood. But then you will likely be cold on the worst of days.

But now my buddy says that our instructor wasn't wearing a Drylock. Man I didn't think rubber would be this complicated
    It really is only complicated when your water temps ranges from 37F to 64F, which is pretty much the entire range for suits other than a shorty. Oh yeah, I'd get one of those too.

I actually surfed two summers with no suit and my first suit was a long leg farmer john. It was not until I was 15 that I bought a wetsuit, and that one had removable sleeves to make it a short sleeve. Dumb suit, but it does get warm in summer.

I pretty much only buy chest zip 4/3. Water temps here range mostly from 52F to 58F. Rarely cooler. Even less rare is it warmer. I hear bat wing back zips don't flush much, but I like the chest zip.

Awesome, I sincerely appreciate the help! I will look more into seam construction, see where I can squeeze the most money out of the 4/3.

The hundred-something page unbiased wetsuit thread on surfer has helped, but the technologies seem to change so much year to year, and there has only been a little more than dozen or so pages in the last year.

must suck to worry about what rubber to wear hahaaaaa.... I only have one number to what I wear,,,, 32 inch waist.

In Maine/NH I had a 6/5/4 excel for winter and it was toasty. I had a 3/2 that I used for summers and had a 2mm hood I would put on for fall and spring but the 3/2 eventually wore out.

Now I have a hood less 4/3 rip curl back zip suit (not sure of model, but I think it's probably the entry level/cheapest one) that I use all the time that I don't use the winter suit. In Maine and NH it rarely gets too hot in the summer that I am uncomfortable, but if it does, I just unzip the back a little bit and flush the suit. The real downside to a summertime 4/3 suit is the lack of flexibility that you could get in a nice 3/2 suit (which can be better than a 4/3 if you get a really nice one).

why does that idiot keep posting in this thread? nobody cares.

i have a drylock but i get the bro deal, so i wouldn't recommend that to college student. I would get a 4/3 if i were you and be done. Add the vest-hood combo as it gets colder.

With two kids I have gone thru this whole scenario recently. I have all of what has been mentioned, but at the end of the day you need what I previously posted to surf in NH, but the 4/3 is what probably makes the most sense to get first. That is until you get addicted and the most important suit will be your winter one...because that is when we get waves.

Some people have shallow lives and feel then need to interject. Whatever.

Pudge - you already own a 3/2? Is it decent? Shitty?

I like strawjacks idea of a 4/3, especially if you don't already have another suit.

Maybe I just run hot. Two of you have already said you wear your 4/3 all summer. Rog does, or used to, so that makes three. I can't imagine putting on that much rubber in summers up there, especially if it is a solid, well built suit that does not flush or leak. Which is what you will want if you plan to wear it through the winters. If you already have a 3/2 for the warm weather, then then buyer a solid 4/3 makes a lot of sense.

Here is why I like having multiple suits. I own three. I only wear my R3 in winters. I wash it out real well in spring and store it for summer. The suit I spend the most money on last a lot longer that way, and keeps me warm when I need it most. I have my regular 4/3 that I wear year round. And I have an old beater that I take with me when I'm surfing down south, well in town, or just hanging at the beach with the family and might go for a quick surf. That way I don't get sand/dirt/grime/sun etc into my good suits.

Oh, but most important of all - take care of your suit. Rinse it out after every session. Don't leave it in the sun. Don't piss in it. Don't leave it crumpled up in the trunk of your car. Hang it by the waist, not shoulders. Don't change in the sand. Don't get it sandy. Buy a cheap plastic bucket to change in so you don't grind it into asphalt. Carry a jug of warm water to pour over you and the suit when you get out after your session. Store in a cool, dark, dry place.

Ottime, I didn't own the shitty 3/2 I was in, it was rented when I rented a board.

I am going to rent a longboard all summer on every Sunday at Cinnamon rainbows. So I can save that expense of buying one until fall, maybe I'll progress enough that I could see myself on a funboard, we'll see!

As far as suits go, I am going to get an entry level 3/2, I will keep my eye out for lightly used. Then I was going to get a hooded 4/3, mid level. Then drop the actual coin on a really quality winter suit.

I know it's going to be expensive one way or another, I get that. That's just what happens when you take up something new.

Timing is important for me too, I won't be able to buy the 3/2 until my first paycheck sometime in the first week of June. When the water is typically above 55 which is the lower bound for most 3/2s. Then when the water falls below that in September I can get the 4/3, after I buy the board.
    Last edited by Pudge.; 05-16-2014 at 10:39 AM.