Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I wish I'd paid more attention to this thread the past few weeks. Friday morning, in an attempt to punish myself for Thursday's misdeeds, I hit the gym. I had a great workout. My deadlift is coming along nicely. I decided to finish with some sprints on the rowing machine. I also thought I might give "6" a try.

I got out of bed this morning for the first time in 48 hours. I still can't dress myself. Never have I torn the absolute fuck out of my lumbar in such a debilitating way. My lower back looks like it has a beer-belly. Never will I allow myself to sail right into the perfect storm of fatigue, overuse, and poor form. I am an idiot.

Ouch. Feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by BraddA View Post
    I wish I'd paid more attention to this thread the past few weeks. Friday morning, in an attempt to punish myself for Thursday's misdeeds, I hit the gym. I had a great workout. My deadlift is coming along nicely. I decided to finish with some sprints on the rowing machine. I also thought I might give "6" a try.

I got out of bed this morning for the first time in 48 hours. I still can't dress myself. Never have I torn the absolute fuck out of my lumbar in such a debilitating way. My lower back looks like it has a beer-belly. Never will I allow myself to sail right into the perfect storm of fatigue, overuse, and poor form. I am an idiot.
    Oh man am I sorry. Pain meds and muscle relaxers are your friends.

Thanks for this thread Ice. I have been hitting the machine at the gym. Avg 2:02 for 2000. Best 500 so far at 1:50. I am going to try switching the settings and keeping my feet out of the straps. I actually like it. Is there something wrong with me? I did race X-C skiing in high school, and liked that, this feels similar. Whatever, at least it isn't running.

I like the way the data is right there in front of you as you go along. I haven't done as much this fall as I wanted to what with traveling a lot and splitting my head wide open and all, but I just get into doing "re-row" of my best time each time, with the pace boat, and it goes right by. And sometimes it's the new best time.

Oh man....hearing stoke about the erg is sooo foreign to a former competitior. That thing is like the fuckin rack or thmb screws. A tool of misery sit, stare at mirror or little screen, back and forth, back and forth. Oh god.

If you like the machine, seriously go try a boat. It's the same workout only fun.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Oh man....hearing stoke about the erg is sooo foreign to a former competitior. That thing is like the fuckin rack or thmb screws. A tool of misery sit, stare at mirror or little screen, back and forth, back and forth. Oh god.

If you like the machine, seriously go try a boat. It's the same workout only fun.
    How do they do in 3-4 ft seas? I'll stick to my Mako. It's fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Not good. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    With something a bit more like this:

Though I don't have nothing like that classy a hat, or that sane of a dog.

]a 2:00 split feels like a sprint to me, and when i go at that pace it's only as the intense part of an interval. With a problematic lower back i try to keep my core engaged the entire time and haven't had any back pain from it, it does crush my calves and quads though. It is truly boring as hell

edit: got to gym today and saw this. fwp?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106034[/ATTACH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	321.0 KB 
ID:	106034  
    Last edited by MMP; 12-10-2011 at 04:55 PM.

I'll bump this back up.... I'm looking to buy a rowing machine to supplement my CF workouts. There is a Concept2 rower for sale locally for around $700, but I'm hoping there's something cheaper that's suitable. Are there any rowing machines under $500 that are legit?

An older Concept2?

But seriously, whatever floats your boat (ha!). I think Concept2's have been demonstrated to be the best option but hey, ya know, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'll bump this back up.... I'm looking to buy a rowing machine to supplement my CF workouts. There is a Concept2 rower for sale locally for around $700, but I'm hoping there's something cheaper that's suitable. Are there any rowing machines under $500 that are legit?
    Look here: http://www.row2k.com/classifieds/classifieds.pl
    Colleges and universities, along with bigger high school programs are replacing ergs all the time. Root around and/or put up a WTB add. I think -and I may be wrong steve, that you are based in/around Seattle? If so, I'm SURE you will get plenty of hits on a WTB an C2 for 400 bucks. It might be one bearing the souls and tears of men, but whatever.

I'm dreading today. After a 8 year break I'm I've brought back my "20k on Xmas Day" workout. In the past this both served as a workout AND a great way to avoid the noise of my mom and aunts screaming on the phone to deaf relatives. Sometime around 14-15k however you start to really really get tired of rowing. With feet out and flywheel on 1 I think something like 2:05-2:10 splits for the whole 20k would be nice with a 18sr and sub 140 heart beat. Best I ever did was 1:58:9 for the whole thing. I think I ate a whole turkey after that one.

Look here: http://www.row2k.com/classifieds/classifieds.pl
    Colleges and universities, along with bigger high school programs are replacing ergs all the time. Root around and/or put up a WTB add. I think -and I may be wrong steve, that you are based in/around Seattle? If so, I'm SURE you will get plenty of hits on a WTB an C2 for 400 bucks. It might be one bearing the souls and tears of men, but whatever.
    I'm actually in the Boulder area, but I'll give that link a look. Thanks!

"20k on Xmas Day"
    FKNA, dude, I'll join you!

wait...no. No I won't. The couch, she calls me.

Just found out last night that my friend growing up won the '07 Indoor Rowing World Championships with a 5:46 2,000 meter time... damn. I knew he and his brother were in the running for the Olympic teams in '08, but color me impressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRASH-B_Sprints

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    GO go Iceman
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I row, I'm starting at Brown this coming fall and I'm on a gap year now, I was just rowing in Oxford after finishing up high school where my boat placed 3rd at Youth Nationals in the heavy 4+

My 2k is a 6:28 which is ~1:37 split so it's okay for somebody my size, but my team never tested late in the season when we were all fit so my 2k times are from before my peak fitness of each season. Erging sucks, enjoy it while the novelty lasts, but I recommend you get a single and have fun in it. I try to get out in a single as much as possible and if you have a lot of open water you can get just as good a workout, but erging is still entirely necessary.

smmokan, $700 for a Model D is pretty good but you can probably find better. Check with local colleges, I know they swap out ergs all the time, but if you're buying one get a Model D and not a Model C since the D has very noticeable and necessary improvements. The Model E is a waste of money since all it does is sit you up higher and give you a PM4 monitor which does nothing except help you race other people
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I rowed for about 7 years competitively across HS and college.......and cannot for the life of me figure out why ANYONE who had rowed in the past would intentionally pay money to have one of those abominations in their house.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?

I look at buying used shells all the time and will probably get another one soon in the next few years but a fucking erg? eeesh

Man if I just do a moderately fast 2000 I feel pumped for days. That is good exercise that's good for your body.

Shit like 20K on Christmas Day? Not me Brutha.

I have an Alden 16 that's 50 yards from the water right now, I'll get in it when I'm there. But there's no more need to get sick of the erg than of a bike or a treadmill. It is what it is.

More power to ya I guess!

I'd much rather get in shape in the water though. Cute ducks and stuff.

Just way too many years of suffering on those god forsaken things to ever do anything presently that doesn't involve a match and some accelerant.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    More power to ya I guess!

I'd much rather get in shape in the water though. Cute ducks and stuff.

Just way too many years of suffering on those god forsaken things to ever do anything presently that doesn't involve a match and some accelerant.
    SOOO true. BUt every once and a while it's a good change from running and lifting and hiking. I mean I put my single out on flat water and think WHAT THE FUCK DO I USE THE ERG FOR. It's like the difference between beating off and actual sex.

As to Mantooth - Good luck dude. Have fun at Brown....you're river is nasty (trust me I know. I litigated two cases related to industrial dumping in it) but your crew is good, you get top of the line Resolute shells and your womens team...oh...well 2/3 aint bad.

I did some rowing this am

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

2 new concept 2 ergs at the new ymca in town. Going to try to start getting there in the AM for some workouts.

Are those cards that track you workout useful? I'm not training for crash-b or anything, but it would be cool to track my times to see some improvement. Is it just as easy to do that with a watch?

The cards are pretty cool, they hold a pretty good amount of data, so you can track yourself over time, race against yourself, etc. I don't know how much they cost but I doubt it's much, I'd say go for it.