Elko, NV and Ruby Skiing beta

Thinking that after we get some snow, I'm going to take a trip to Elko and Ruby Mountains. Of course, Terminal Cancer Couloir is on the list. Any other day tours that are super sexy, but not that dangerous and don't require a heli ride? Tell your Ruby stories here

In the meantime, here is a great vid on Terminal. You can skip the first 1:30. Love the tune
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Mount Gilbert...... access is actually lower then terminal...... hike through the flats by the Boy Scout camp...... beware sled necks though as they often schralp that zone. The rest of lamoille canyon is a solid meh imho. There are some cool lines in the wilderness area beyond the top of the canyon but they would be a haul without a tow to the boundary

You should PM Wobby. Western Nevada is very much his turf. Here's his blog: https://www.nvbackcountry.com/

Things are pretty low tide out this way right now, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Mount Gilbert...... access is actually lower then terminal...... hike through the flats by the Boy Scout camp...... beware sled necks though as they often schralp that zone. The rest of lamoille canyon is a solid meh imho. There are some cool lines in the wilderness area beyond the top of the canyon but they would be a haul without a tow to the boundary
    I disagree. I've had fun skiing in the top of Lamoille Canyon. Fun lines off Full House Peak, Liberty Peak and Tri-Lake Peak. But it's gonna be a walk in the winter to get there and probably chocked full of slednecks. There were definitely some cool lines past Liberty pass, which is technically wilderness, but that wilderness boundary was not respected when I was out there.

https://vimeo.com/user13104910

Thomas Creek Canyon had some excellent looking lines, especially on the east facing walls of the canyon as you're heading back. That and Right Fork canyon (Boy Scout Camp) look pretty similar on a terrain map. Going all the way back to Snow Lake Peak is fairly meh but Fitzgerald looked interesting.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

slides will abound over the paved road (which may or may not be visible) approaching TC. the base of the slope is hundreds of yards out, but you are not in the clear., plenty of flags....luv the brappers i saw back there...theyve got ze balz
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Micol View Post
    slides will abound over the paved road (which may or may not be visible) approaching TC. the base of the slope is hundreds of yards out, but you are not in the clear., plenty of flags....luv the brappers i saw back there...theyve got ze balz
    Having ignorance to risk doesn’t equal “ze balz”. Darwin has some articles on it.

There is a good thread on this, Mountaingirl1961 (I think) lives at the mouth of the canyon, I’ll reach out to her and let her know there is a new thread.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

We are in desperate need of snow, and what we do have is full of facets. It is going to be super tricky when it starts snowing.

TC is super bony right now. People are skiing it but I sure wouldn’t. The bottom isn’t really filled in. A recent fire did help with access, made some of the heinous bushwhack on the approach go away.

There is decent skiing up high right now. The sleds have pretty well ripped up everything with easy access, but Thomas Canyon is skiing well high, and if you have access to some of the other drainages you can harvest the goods.

Personally, unless you’re flying with the heli I don’t think it’s worth the drive right now. Wait until we get some snow going.

#schralpthesnobowl

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl1961 View Post
    We are in desperate need of snow, and what we do have is full of facets. It is going to be super tricky when it starts snowing.

TC is super bony right now. People are skiing it but I sure wouldn’t. The bottom isn’t really filled in. A recent fire did help with access, made some of the heinous bushwhack on the approach go away.

There is decent skiing up high right now. The sleds have pretty well ripped up everything with easy access, but Thomas Canyon is skiing well high, and if you have access to some of the other drainages you can harvest the goods.

Personally, unless you’re flying with the heli I don’t think it’s worth the drive right now. Wait until we get some snow going.
    Thanks. I will revisit considering this in mid-March
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

How do folks feel about Ely? That place has my attention right now. Maybe more for mountain biking but there seems to be some nice looking alpine nearby there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The Schells certainly look interesting. I've skied in great basin park. The afternoon I get there it looked awesome. The winds raged overnight and ruined my planned line but it was still a beautiful tour.
    Bring a gun the turkeys are vicious!

Oops I misspelt delicious

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    How do folks feel about Ely? That place has my attention right now. Maybe more for mountain biking but there seems to be some nice looking alpine nearby there.
    I've been meaning to go check it out, but more so with the bike. Haven't been around there in years. I guess this last summer it was surprisingly crowded (according to a friend).

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Oops I misspelt delicious
    You also misspelled ‘misspelt’.

But I am picturing a comely lass, wearing only coyote fur.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    meh my friends owned the jailhouse for years and very few of those was there enough coverage to ski much good
    bikings great though
    ive hit gbnp good and
    ive experianced the 3' at the 8600 lyman trailhead
    1 1/2' at the 10000k upper camp ground
    and 0 at 13000 atop wheeler
    its still a cool old school bristle cone pine hood
    and theres good shit when its on

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

How do I feel about Ely? Kind of a shithole, BUT nearby Great Basin National Park is on my backcountry bucket list. I’ve only been there in the fall, but it’s beautiful and I spotted a number of lines that looked great. I just googled this up, the place has so much going for it.
    https://www.outdoorproject.com/unite...country-skiing

And, pro tip, there’s a great restaurant in Baker near the entrance (no, really). It’s called Kerouac’s, but I think it’s only open seasonally.
    https://www.facebook.com/StargazerNevada/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/t...t-visited.html

There’s some beta here. From my visit:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...66#post5755566