Dynafit mount: help needed (SLC)

I have a pair of vertical STs to throw on DPS Wailers for this winter. I have been thinking about trying to mount them myself as I might have to shuffle other bindings around a couple of pairs of skis in the near future and it would be nice to know how to do it myself instead of asking the BD store.
    The problem is, even with the paper jigs I got from wildsnow or Pechelman's thread (thanks!) I am pretty sure I'll fuck up the whole thing beyond repair and either rip the binding out on the first day or drill the base instead of the top sheet... something jong-ish.

Is there anyone in SLC who has the right tools and is not manually challenged and would be willing to show me how it's done? Beer would change hands of course... PM me if interested. Unless it's to tell me to STFU and bring them to a store, I know that's coming.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'm waiting on RTR to get his skis and I'll mooch the jig for a night and do
    sfotex rtr's mine yours and any other slc mags who needs it sometime next week.
    Unless your dying to get those high dollar carbon fiber skis on to the wrd or rocks in the bc
    quality vodka or weed perfered barter payment
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Threadjack--

Just out of curiosity, what's a quality vodka?

absolute citron is fine with me and what I ussually buy belvidere, gray goose, hanger 1 or there is a local Park City distiller that's making some good booze. Just don't show up with a handle of popkov.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Cool thanks. I've always been a beer guy, so I don't really know my vodkas, but it's nice to have some on hand when friends drop by.

Can't find it much anymore cept for high $$ on ebay but with a name like "Black Death" you know it's got to be good.

I've seen Slash wearing the t-shirt. Comes in its own coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I'm waiting on RTR to get his skis and I'll mooch the jig for a night and do
    sfotex rtr's mine yours and any other slc mags who needs it sometime next week.
    Unless your dying to get those high dollar carbon fiber skis on to the wrd or rocks in the bc
    quality vodka or weed perfered barter payment
    Dude you're my hero! And I have no plan to take the new skis out for a while so the timing is prime. I'll work on payment...

if you want to tackle it yourself, there's a template AND a tutorial video here
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153971"]Binding Mount Paper Templates - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

I have only mounted two pairs, but I have the tools, skills and knowledge to take on something easy like this. First draw a Long center line. Attach the toe piece to your boot and center the whole thing on the center line. Clamp the binding to the ski and mark the toe piece holes. Drill and mount toes. Then center the heal the correct distance behind the boot and drill. It is trickier with the heal since the screws are covered by the binding and you need to rotate it. It is a pretty easy thing to do. Go to Slidewright(?) and get the bits and taps recommended for your ski. It is kind of fun to do yourself. I am sure I missed some details, but it is not too intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    absolute citron is fine with me and what I ussually buy belvidere, gray goose, hanger 1 or there is a local Park City distiller that's making some good booze. Just don't show up with a handle of popkov.
    I'd like to get in on this if possible, count on a 5th of citron from me.

I assume the jig will work for non-ti models...including boissal's st's and my comforts?
    Last edited by Sh4ft; 11-24-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added model

Wildsnow instructions

For those of you who have mounted numerous pairs of dynafits with a proper jig- can you really just set it up and drill? Seems like there is enough minor differences in the toe pieces that some boots would end up just slightly off.

If it were me, with a jig, I'd drill and mount the heel, then drill the hole in the very front of the toe piece, mount that with one screw, attach boot, line everything up, CAREFULLY remove boot and mark holes remaining through the toe piece, remove, drill and remount. Is this unnecessary with a jig?

Quote Originally Posted by gunniride View Post
    For those of you who have mounted numerous pairs of dynafits with a proper jig- can you really just set it up and drill? Seems like there is enough minor differences in the toe pieces that some boots would end up just slightly off.

If it were me, with a jig, I'd drill and mount the heel, then drill the hole in the very front of the toe piece, mount that with one screw, attach boot, line everything up, CAREFULLY remove boot and mark holes remaining through the toe piece, remove, drill and remount. Is this unnecessary with a jig?
    My protocol is:
    1.a spend a few days debating fore/aft position (okay, maybe not that long ... maybe)
    1.b or, if it's someone coming over with a thrice-mounted ski, spent about half the day analyzing hole-dodge-'em strategies (okay, maybe not that long ... maybe)
    2. once that is [finally] done, set jig for boot and drill all nine holes
    3. install heel piece
    4. install toe piece ... almost all the way
    5. check alignment with both boots, and if necessary, tweak a little bit so that both boots are aligned reasonably well (i.e., any skewedness is not engaging the lateral release spring)
    6. set heel pin gap & release values, then check with my torque tester

Steps 2 through 5 have taken as little as 20 minutes per pair. (I think my first try w/o a jig took something like 2 hrs for the first ski and an hour for the second ski, then I was down to about an hour per pair after that.)

I have machined my own jigs which have always resulted in good mounts, but I sometimes use the toe shim as a jig because it works fine as a jig for the front fixture. I carefully draw a center line, then drill a single screw hole for the front screw, then temporarily screw the toe fixture in with a single short screw (short enough so that one turn of screw snugs it up), then attach the boot, then line the boot heel up on the center line, then carefully remove the boot, then mark the other 4 holes with a center punch. I then check this against my jig.

IME, older tech fitted boots had variations in the toe alignment, but the last 15 (est.) mounts I've done (various Scarpa, Garmont, Dynafit boots) were pretty much dead on straight, so I would be fine just using my jig.

I use my jig for the rear binding fixture.

It takes me around 20-25 minutes per pair for ST/FT/Comfort/TLT w/jigs or w/front plate as jig. 30+ minutes per pair for Race cuz the heel fixture must be dead on fore/aft and I don't have a jig for the Race heel.

Sorry been super busy ended up having to buy a dyna jig.
    Pm me if you still need a mount or if any mags in slc need a dyna mount