Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I rode the lift at Jackson with a guy that had the same question back in the early 90's. He moved out from Portland, OR. He thought he got there too late, with all the RE prices well above the national norm at the time. He doesn't think that way any more. Glad he made the move and never looked back. As someone who made the recent move from Seattle to a mtn town, now a small city, in Bend, OR, glad I made the move. But there's things I miss about Seattle. Easy access to travel international. The amazing seafood. But don't miss the traffic and the high price of city living.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I think I'm with Leavenworth on this one. When I moved to a very small town, 15 years ago, I was already happily married and knew that was the only way I'd do it. Interestingly, there have been at least 5 couples that we know who moved there, then divorced during those years. It sucks for all of them big time.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Yeah, cuz that'll get you a whole lotta nothing.

Except maybe 500 tram laps next year and a few million Villy vert.
    Keep that shit to yourself, that sounds miserable. The chamber of commerce would hate for that stat to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    MK- you coming down to fish? The JH hut is open for guests...
    Was just on the other side fishing south fork of the snake. I think you were out of town. Will be back to get my ass kicked at the railroad ranch on the Henry's Fork in another month. Will try to get to JH to catch up with ya. Possibly extend my trip take advantage of your gracious hospitality offering.

Back on topic... Leavenworth nailed it. Go to a bigger city. Bigger call pool to share the load and more pussy!

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I think I'm with Leavenworth on this one. When I moved to a very small town, 15 years ago, I was already happily married and knew that was the only way I'd do it. Interestingly, there have been at least 5 couples that we know who moved there, then divorced during those years. It sucks for all of them big time.
    I've been living in Leavenworth area for about 10 years now. I only lived in Leavenworth community proper for 2 years, early in my career of "Mountain Man". One of our best decisions was to get out of that fucking slum.

Two tips to OP: 1.) Never work for the ski area. (which sounds like won't be an issue.) 2.) Live in the biggest town you can that is near the mountains. The smaller the town and the more isolated from other towns (ie, reality) the more fucked a place is. I think the Methow valley is really fucked and cliquey because the highway closes in the winter. plugboots and I have discussed this in past. Pretty similar to JH in that regard. Nearest real town to JH is what, Idaho Falls? Real metropolis there...

Little mountain towns in closed in valleys breed weird social cliques, drama, the same people partying/fighting/fucking each other (lots of eskimo bros in this town). There are people I've known for 10 years and because I'm not "cool" enough, they won't give me the time of day (unless they want something from me). The women are even worse. The gossip and drama cycle is quite strong and add in the factor if you're a woman who doesn't climb 5.12, ski gnar, ride Tres Hombres, trail run the enchantments, lean far far left politically etc, you're treated as a leper. I think the reason why there isn't very many women in most mountain towns is because the washout rate is super high due to all the psycho broads that live in these places.

Maybe it's the winter inversion and lack of sunshine that rots everyone's brains?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    OP,

From the sounds of it... I would consider a larger mountain town, it will suit you better. You sound like you want to put down roots somewhere, not live somewhere for a few years. You have to fight hard to make the really small mountain town thing work.

Just to name a few towns worth looking, that have at least one world class primary outdoor activity and at least 3-4 mediocre level secondary activities (skiing, boating, river, lakes, fishing, hunting, mountain biking, climbing, mountaineering, etc ):
    Wenatchee
    Spokane
    Boise
    Bend
    Bozeman
    Missoula
    Bellingham

Sure, Jackson might have the best skiing, climbing and biking in the US (maybe, depends on who you ask) but these other places balance the rad outside stuff with not living in a small valley with a tiny community of trustafarians, jaded locals and billionaires.
    ^^ This. While skiing, biking, hiking, and all the other outdoor activities are important, having diversity of other activities is important, too. If OP is a smart person, which I assume he is as he graduated from UW Medical School, then looking at this through a single lens of how he's going to get laid seems pretty short-sighted. OP, you're going to want other things available that are important to you, and I don't mean just a larger selection of bars to go to with the current flavor of the week. You'll want to expand your interests to other professional and possibly better cultural offerings than a small town can offer. Think about this more in reference to what your future interests might be. It's worth mentioning that these cities LWS listed are significantly less expensive than JH which will be helpful as you repay student loans, etc.

Moving to a ski town to scratch a ski-bum itch you might have may be a good idea for now but take it for what it is; temporary lifestyle that's likely to change after a year or two as you scratch the itch and look to expand your horizons. As an MD, you've got a lot of opportunities in front of you so changing should be relatively easy, provided you don't build up too much baggage while looking at your longer term goals (family, career, activities).

$.02 x $.02 = $.04

"Some fresh blood in a small town like a young doctor? You better believe the honeys are gonna be all over that."

This ^ because you can turn the dream into a reality. Now long term is the challenge because [vast generalization] there is a certain type of person that moves and stays in JH and it probably depends on if you can mesh with that type of person or not.

Hmm, tough decision man. Powder skiing is just as good as sex, except it lasts longer. Especially in my case - minutes vs 30 seconds (if I'm lucky).

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Hmm, tough decision man. Powder skiing is just as good as sex, except it lasts longer. Especially in my case - minutes vs 30 seconds (if I'm lucky).
    I ski powder on the regular. I also am 2 hours from an international airport, concerts, culture and 20 minutes from a town with a costco, breweries, good restaurants. I don't think OP is choosing between pow and no pow. This is more like, town of 5k (probably smaller in the winter) vs. small city that is stones throw from the mountains or basically in them.

One of the major draws of Jackson for the OP is the plethora of sexy Moose. Problem with Wenatchee is he'd have to settle for Elk or Mule Deer, pretty much the opposite of sexy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It was mentioned earlier but those billionaires really do make Jackson live bigger outside of the dating scene. The Center for the Arts brings in some serious talent. Walk Festival Hall. Then you have about 1000 non profits you can start working with. The library is like a blast out of the past (in terms of usage) and as a result is actually pretty great. All those 20 something trustafarians bring in further musical talent. Food scene is pricey but its hard to get something that sucks, and is pretty diverse. We don't have a ton of museums but the art gallery scene is awesome, and they like to party with the art walk circuit. I mean, for 10kish (I think I read recently Jackson is up to 12k year rounders), I think you would be hard pressed to find a lack of things to do. Except fuck.

That, and at any given time, there might be 10k year rounders, and another 10k visitors. Except for April, then everyone bounces.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Hey, man... look on the bright side. Your "prime years" with regards to this particular topic are already WELL behind you.

Bullshit.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I would just pull the trigger and make the move to Jackson, dude. Don't overthink this.

Step up your game. Ski and bike harder. Hit the gym harder. Get really fit. Eat pussy like you're at a Michelin star restaurant. Watch Aspen Extreme while lifting weights for inspiration. Go kick ass.

What're you gonna do, punt on moving to shred city because you're afraid you're not good enough at fucking?
    More bullshit. Guys in a townlike Jackson may get really focused on being fit and hitting the gym harder but that's often related to the lack of high quality and regularly available attractive woman.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

This thread is hilarious.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I left Jackson 16 years ago for Arizona and I still love skiing but to be honest, I've had a lot of moments when I was a single guy here where I would be in a situation and then ask myself, "what the fuck was I doing all of those years in remote mountain towns?"

Sure the ratio has improved a little in Jackson but it's still freaking Wyoming. Maybe you might meet the woman of your dreams there but I'm going to be brutally honest here, your standards are going to devolve dramatically.

Dude, you're a doctor or becoming one? You can probably fly into Jackson whenever you want and still live somewhere that provides better options with killer skiing near by.

And the mid 30's are indeed the best years imo. If you can stay somewhat single for a couple of years you are going to have so much fun. In Wyoming? Not nearly as much.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This thread is hilarious.
    Really? I think it's real and to the point.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Bullshit.
    You must have done your 20's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You must have done your 20's wrong.

Or you did your 30's wrong! Haha!

I did do my 20's wrong cause I didn't know what I know now!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Or you did your 30's wrong! Haha!
    Well... I was married with 3 kids through most of my 30's... so yeah, there's probably a really easy argument to be made there.

I did do my 20's wrong cause I didn't know what I know now!
    One of the major injustices in life...

I think the point is that if you have to ask if you should move to Jackson, then the answer is no. Some people like the mountains, some like the city, some like having a large pool of potential mates, some think that their soulmate will find them no matter what and are content banging Wilson housewives until that day comes.

Don't docs usually get a shitload of PTO? I know an ER doc who took a few months to travel around the world last year. Seems like you could hop on a plane, maybe even your own plane, out of KJAC and get to a lot of other places where you could mingle with the fairer sex whenever you want. Just sayin.

[QUOTE=skaredshtles;5368772

One of the major injustices in life...[/QUOTE]

So true.

But that's why I liked being a single mid 30 something year old so much.

For the OP, there's plenty of fun to be had in Jackson but it sure isn't Arizona or Washington.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

What are we talking about? Mountain Town Puss vs. City Puss?

City chicks give it up more easily, mountain chicks are better people...generally. It is all about what type of place you want to live and you what want to be surrounded by. I lived in the city for 5+ years. It was toxic for me. Many people say the same thing about living in a ski town.

Life is about experiences and people. Live where you like the people and enjoy the experience. Easier said than done, but true. If you don't know the answers to those questions, be on a path to figure it out. Happy people are good people...and they get laid.

As you get older, you get set in your ways. Be careful, it sneaks up on ya. Landing somewhere where you are happy aint' easy. If you have the wherewithal to move around and see what floats your boat, take advantage of it.

City chicks give it up more easily, mountain chicks are better people...generally.
    Yup, that sums it up.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I
    Step up your game. Ski and bike harder. Hit the gym harder. Get really fit. Eat pussy like you're at a Michelin star restaurant. Watch Aspen Extreme while lifting weights for inspiration. Go kick ass.
    FUCK YEAH!

you nailed it, pretty much been my mantra for years I watch aspen extreme at least twice a year

here is a typical thursday in a ski town

-wake up bong hits
    -realize you haven't progressed past age 25, but that's cool do you want to some washed up 40 year old with a family?
    -I'm agonizing right now, do I call this girl back to see if she wants to hang out later tonight
    -do I go for a bike ride and fuck this chick
    -another girl is coming by tomorrow, so maybe i shouldn't call her because that might mess things up with this other babe tomorrow
    -I laughed in some second homeowner computer geeks face today because he got all dick head with me and started telling me how it is
    -smoke more weed
    -realized by middle age most men are former shells of themself, it's nice to know I haven't changed in the twenty five years I've been here
    -what is there not to love about living in a ski town

I would just pull the trigger and make the move to Jackson, dude. Don't overthink this.

What're you gonna do, punt on moving to shred city because you're afraid you're not good enough at fucking?
    Truth. I sent a PM plugging our area shred. I hereby take it back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear