Page 83 of 107 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2651
    Yeah I’ve looked pretty hard at Tahoe’s. I like the extra space over the 4Runner. Sacrifice off road capability and parking in town ability, but otherwise all wins. Better gas mileage to boot. And yeah didn’t realize an 06 4Runner might not have full time 4wd. My Jeep did and it was great.

All that said, Tahoe seems to have crossed into the luxury market bracket. I think they are priced at or higher than 4Runner. Hadn’t really been looking that hard at 4runner cause they are kinda small for me, but will do another search tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    In my experience, KBB and NADA is never correct for Toyotas. My family has bought and sold 4 in different parts of the country and always paid/sold for well over “blue book”. Don’t pay attention to it.

Is the car you’re looking at worth that much money to YOU based on what else you could get for the money (same model other rigs or different models)?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not sure what to say about that. I mentioned elsewhere or maybe here, I bought 4 new vehicles in a row. This buying used stuff sucks a lot. Would make it all easier if the books were right and considered valid.

You’re right The V8 4Runner has the full-time 4WD, V6 is 2WD selectable to 4WD.

If you’re not concerned about the gas mileage, the older model Sequoia is also a great rig. 05+ have the full-time 4WD transfer case, 4.7L V8, way more space, and generally can be bought cheaper than a T4R for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Yeah I’ve looked pretty hard at Tahoe’s. I like the extra space over the 4Runner. Sacrifice off road capability and parking in town ability, but otherwise all wins. Better gas mileage to boot. And yeah didn’t realize an 06 4Runner might not have full time 4wd. My Jeep did and it was great.

All that said, Tahoe seems to have crossed into the luxury market bracket. I think they are priced at or higher than 4Runner. Hadn’t really been looking that hard at 4runner cause they are kinda small for me, but will do another search tonight.
    06 4Runner will have full time 4WD, it just won't have the AWD option, which basically means it engages the 4WD automatically when it senses slippage. You don't want to keep a car in full time 4WD on pavement, yet many times you may find yourself on roads with patchy ice and snow, so the AWD option is nice for that.

You're right about newer Tahoes entering into the luxury market, expensive af. The older ones are still good though, maybe anything earlier than 2015?. And although it's tough to match the off-road capability of a 4Runner, don't underestimate the Tahoe in that regard. I use mine for elk hunting and take it up and down all kinds of gnarly logging roads in snow and ice. It's VERY good in 4WD. I've had it in some bad situations and never got stuck. And every year I pull many cars out of the ditch during storms.

Some erroneous info in the recent posts.

The 4th Gen 4 Runners in V6 do have AWD setting. They have transfer cases that can be set in any of the following :

1) 2WD - rear wheel drive.
    2) 4WD full time (aka AWD) - you can drive around in this setting all the time, dry pavement, if you want.
    3) 4WD high range locked - center diff locked. This is same as a part time 4WD system when shifted into 4 HI.
    4) 4WD low range unlocked. This is low range AWD. No idea why you'd have a reason to use this. This is a weird setting to have.
    5) 4WD low range locked. This is the same as a part time 4WD system when shifted into 4 LO.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Didn’t realize the sequoia 4.7 was the same engine , that should have been an easy guess. So the abismal mpg just comes from the extra weight? That’s one of the perks about the Tahoe is better mpg.

I did drive a sequoia about a year ago and liked it ok. I generally keep a suv and a truck. Figured sequoia or Tahoe might take the place of a truck, but all the interior arm rests and bs take up a lot of space.

I’ll look at the sequoias again and see what’s up, this whole used car market looks different to me now vs when I started looking. $18k seemed like a lot for the one I test drove but was probably not that far off.

Re the 4wd, I almost started a thread on 4wd and was systems but didn’t get around to it. Interesting the small idiosyncrasies between companies.
    My XJ had 2wd, full time 4wd high, part time 4wd high, and 4wd low. Felt like it was light years past my f150 with manual locking hubs in user friendliness. That said manual hubs have their own advantages, obv.

Toyota and fuel mileage is the tale of two extremes. They suck, or they don't.

You asked about compression testing for head gasket failure. It's one way but it's not definitive. A cheap chemical test via the coolant is available and could serve as a starting point if suspicious.

Re: Tahoes (Yukons)

The Tahoe Tax is as real down here in God's Country as the Toyota Tax is out west. Rust-free examples from the salt and slush free region with 100k+ miles go for stupid money.

Ironically you can find Yotas for about what they should go for down here; in great shape to boot too. But as soon as they hit the market, they're scooped up and shipped west, or bought by some high school lacrosse player's dad to give to their kid on the way to UGA.

This is where Bobby Stainless' wisdom was very helpful. Nationwide search, PPI, ship.
    I still call it The Jake.

Fuck me if I’m wrong, but the full time 4wd setting on the Toyota’s means that there is torque to only one wheel, unless there is an additional traction control installed

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Fuck me if I’m wrong, but the full time 4wd setting on the Toyota’s means that there is torque to only one wheel, unless there is an additional traction control installed
    The 4Runner has TRAC and ATRAC, confusingly. Traction control systems. Google for brain melting explanations from Toyota engineers...
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Some erroneous info in the recent posts.

The 4th Gen 4 Runners in V6 do have AWD setting. They have transfer cases that can be set in any of the following :

1) 2WD - rear wheel drive.
    2) 4WD full time (aka AWD) - you can drive around in this setting all the time, dry pavement, if you want.
    3) 4WD high range locked - center diff locked. This is same as a part time 4WD system when shifted into 4 HI.
    4) 4WD low range unlocked. This is low range AWD. No idea why you'd have a reason to use this. This is a weird setting to have.
    5) 4WD low range locked. This is the same as a part time 4WD system when shifted into 4 LO.
    So... the V6 4th gen does NOT have a full time 4wd hi setting? You say it's "locked" but is "the same as part time when shifted into 4 hi"? I don't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    So... the V6 4th gen does NOT have a full time 4wd hi setting? You say it's "locked" but is "the same as part time when shifted into 4 hi"? I don't get that.
    "Full-time" 4wd is commonly synonymous with AWD. "Part-time" 4wd is 4-hi.

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

Isn’t it just the Limited trim with full time AWD? Thought SR5 was RWD with 4WD hi and low settings.

Maybe just 5th gen is this way?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    "Full-time" 4wd is commonly synonymous with AWD. "Part-time" 4wd is 4-hi.
    Ah. Got it.

non-V8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611199538.277265.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	358896

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Isn’t it just the Limited trim with full time AWD? Thought SR5 was RWD with 4WD hi and low settings.

Maybe just 5th gen is this way?

5th gen is that way. 4th gen all trims got the fancy transfer case.

The 4th gen has the 2/4 hi/ 4 lo dial pictured. It also has a separate center lock button. Therefore, you get a full time setting in both 4 hi and 4 lo, until you push the center lock button, and then it is locked - like a part time 4wd.

5th gen has manual shifter case option or dial/knob depending on year/trim

fwiw i spend most my time in 2wd, if going to 4 it’s usually 4 hi to slow down

it’s worth getting v8 for v8

Name:  islander.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  117.8 KB
    1990 YJ 67K original miles only down side is carburation. Owned by little old couple who kept her garaged and putted around the mtns infrequently

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    5th gen has manual shifter case option or dial/knob depending on year/trim

fwiw i spend most my time in 2wd, if going to 4 it’s usually 4 hi to slow down

it’s worth getting v8 for v8
    Right. I'm not sure about other trim levels but 5th Gen TRD Pro has a manual transfer case. You can engage 4hi or 4 lo at will. Though you may not wish to engage 4lo at 55mph. It's got all the other electronic bells and whistles such as hill descent, etc.

I don't think V8 is necessary unless you're towing stuff. The 4Runner is no sports car.

FJ was a better snow vehicle than my current 4Runner--not sure why other than wheelbase was shorter.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Wow, Jeeps were carbureted in 1990?

I've been enlisted to help remove one of those hard tops before. If you have the chance, pass.
    I still call it The Jake.

Damn went to a FS cabin for a couple days and looks like most things 4runner have been covered. I will echo that for the 4th gens it's a pretty tight fit for someone over 6' and if you're worried about gas mileage maybe look elsewhere.

Also 4runners are fun.Name:  FB_IMG_1597366978516.jpeg
Views: 1228
Size:  112.6 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

What’s the over under on buying a $10k work truck with a salvage title from a wreck/totaled? Comes with a 3month or 3k mile warranty.

If you're going to beat it to death and send it to the knacker when it's dead, why not?

My son has a 2006 550i with 90k. Since last August, I have put about $12k into it. New steering column. Top of the engine oil leak. Repair steering angle. Replace battery. We just drove it cross country with no problems. It rides like a dream. It’s the kind of car that you hate to get rid of but it is expensive to maintain. I think that I will keep it as a summer only car then get him a used truck.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

E60 are nice cars, but problem prone in many areas. The steering angle sensor just an example of regular shit that just goes bad. Fwiw, I fixed that on our (now someone else's problem car) e60 by taking the steering column apart and disassembling the sensor and cleaning the sensor disc. Free repair. If you are going to hang onto the e60, get a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and download the Carly pro app. Will let you read and reset and program options on all 60 different computer modules.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.