Page 113 of 227 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 5668
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Yodler View Post
    Tallac was unreal today. Superhighway skin tracks but plenty of fresh for the masses.
    yeah, i stumbled across a bit of the aforementioned "fresh" up there myself...

when the laughing dies down i'm always the one who has to face the facts

that's pretty sweet ben, Tahoe is going off right now!

I'll give you a call magnana

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    anybody got any word on the wood? i'm guessing power came back on otherwise more shit would be stirring here. seems like it might be the place to be tomorrow given the forecast and the amount of snow the crest is receiving.
    Snowing medium hard when I left today @ 530, 88 was rutted in places. I was badly wishing to get stuck again - stupid Caltrans, why couldn't they close the road again like last week? 4 and 6 refilled nicely with snow during the day, and were skiing very nicely at close. So sorry I missed the Saturday program - by 8am I was headed 88W. Holy Jeebus was there ever a long line of cars going east. Saw several buses stuck and blocking traffic. Had to wait 30 minutes while CHP showed two of 'em how to carry speed up a hill.

Hey, anybody know the story of the Friday morning lost couple? I heard rumors they were quite familiar with the mountain, which makes it sound pretty odd they were "lost" at Silver Lake. I suppose anyone can get turned around... (sucks to be lost, and happy they made it out ok)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer texted me that he lapped High Yellow most of the day and deemed it awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormDay View Post
    We hit High Yellow ~1pm after lunch. It was very good about as good as High Yellow gets.
    I can attest that High Yellow on Saturday was about as good as it gets. Hit Squaw on Sunday - was Ok. Lift lines were out of control, but that is to be expected. Cornice and Headwall were skiing great, though.

All from High Yellow on Saturday. Picture quality sucks, well, because there was no light. Boarder is buddy Kenny, skier is me:

Couple of Kenny:

It was pretty deep in spots:

Couple of me coming down High Yellow on one of the multitude of laps we did in there:

There was a really nice, smaller cliff that we continuously hit until all the LZs were bomb holes.

Here are a couple of me hitting it with some decent speed:

Kenny doing a fully-upright, no-bend, awkward 360 (at least he landed it):

nice pics ucl. really like the 1st cliff shot.

Skied and boarded the past 5 days. Gotta love a good storm cycle and afternoon refills. Early morning powder line-up at Rose is ridiculous, flexible work schedules suck. Afternoon refills were much better. 11:30 arrival on Sunday @ Squaw gave way to excellent parking and even better skiing. Wind was working it's magic. Nothing like fresh snow, windblown and untracked lines from 3:PM to 4PM. Lift lines at Rose on Saturday looked humongous from the web cam, again a Noon arrival yielded front row parking and decreasing lift lines. Snow for the past 5 days was some cold smoke. Chutes are filled in nicely with most lines very, very, very NICE. 2-3 more feet and the ridges will be filled in.

Traffic?, what is this traffic thing you people speak of? It did take 61 minutes instead of 48 minutes to get home from Squaw on Sunday.

Looks like her opinion of pow may be changing.

to be honest, this was the kick in the ass i needed (thanks)

Did anyone else notice the Kirkwood website and today the snow phone has had no mention of the power outage yesterday? Was skiing out at Carson pass, really low vis at round top so skiied some stuff off of Elephants Back... dropped by the wood to see what was up at about 1:00pm and sure enough... hope they got it fixed, sounds like they are good today, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Did anyone else notice the Kirkwood website and today the snow phone has had no mention of the power outage yesterday? Was skiing out at Carson pass, really low vis at round top so skiied some stuff off of Elephants Back... dropped by the wood to see what was up at about 1:00pm and sure enough... hope they got it fixed, sounds like they are good today, but who knows.
    they do have their issues, but can't really blame a restaurant for not mentioning yesterday's food poisoning issues. the only other report i heard about the outage was also that it happened right at 1:00, so i don't know how long it lasted.

goddamn it felt good to sleep in till 8 today. sounds like it was a good day to sleep in too as reports from the dp crew indicate massive glopping from the rain before it turned to snow. when the fittest cat i know in tahoe complains that it kicked his ass i know i woulda been dieing. was just dumping half dollar flakes a short time ago w/ above freezing temps but the snow at 6,500' can def no longer be called blower. snow level is sposed to rise to 7k today before dropping again tonight so it looks like its back to the pass manana. twas a good week.

I can only imagine that business productivity in the bay area on Friday 1/22 ground to a virtual standstill. practically everyone I know was in Tahoe. What a weekend... crushing resort pow day on friday, top-to-bottom overthehead pow all day saturday until our last headlamp assisted run back to civilization and a nice steep line in great condition on sunday. I am worked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Ended the day with a run down through Sherwood Cliffs and Hidden Knolls.
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

they do have their issues, but can't really blame a restaurant for not mentioning yesterday's food poisoning issues. the only other report i heard about the outage was also that it happened right at 1:00, so i don't know how long it lasted.
    It lasted about 45 mins. They were telling everyone a fuse was blown, and it was buried somewhere, but the guy at the tower spilled the goods that that the 3 (or 2) generators on the trailer were not syncing right, and they were only using one to run the lifts and the rest of the valley was out of power.

After the lifts stopped, i strolled in to Off the Wall to warm up and plunked down next to Cohee who was chit chatting on his phone at his mobile office at the bar. I asked him for a drink and he smiled an waved. I left and directed all the befuddled families towards the bar and the guy with the "amazing hair".

The lift mechanic got each lift up one by one, minus chair 10 for about 15 mins , for "maintenance hold", and they stayed running until 4:00 or so, when they flipped the power on for the rest of the valley.

I was beat up from Saturday anyway, so I didn't care so much. I curled up into a ball and suckled on my free Coors Lights i procured with my feminine wiles until someone found me under a snowdrift in front of Bubs.

are you that string I kicked out a while back?

Yesterday caught me off guard. My Sugar Bowl family day quickly turned into a family storm day. Once it really started coming down, the wife and youngest bailed which allowed my oldest and I to chase the free refills. I guess after the last week of storms I am kinda numb to the forecast now and didn't even realize yesterday was going to be as good as it was!

With all of the kid stoke going around, I had my own highlight yesterday too. My 9 year old accompanied me on his first hike! Late in the day we stomped a line out to roller pass for fresh tracks on our last run of the afternoon. If any of the pics come out I will post'em up!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I can only imagine that business productivity in the bay area on Friday 1/22 ground to a virtual standstill. practically everyone I know was in Tahoe.
    yeah, i'll agree with this statement based on the Truckee-> Squaw traffic i saw on both days this weekend. definitely glad to see local businesses hopping....

both days were pretty fun days, although yesterday i finally got whatever cold that has been circulating in my family.

on Saturday between skiing pow with my team and seeing lil OHC maggette #1 get 8th place in her race, it was definitely a cool day.

this was from her first run. yeah, her line is a little round, leaning in a touch, and in the back seat... but she had fun and enjoyed her second race ever! her birthday is in a 3 weeks, but it looks like i am going shopping for an early present of real race skis for her! and thus, the kid quiver of skis has started....

Quote Originally Posted by kona12 View Post
    Late in the day we stomped a line out to roller pass for fresh tracks on our last run of the afternoon. If any of the pics come out I will post'em up!
    You mean nobody traversed in there all day? That must've been sweet. Shots in there are short, but I love that area. Jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by kona12 View Post
    Yesterday caught me off guard. My Sugar Bowl family day quickly turned into a family storm day.
    nice. look forward to seeing the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post

... she had fun and enjoyed her second race ever! her birthday is in a 3 weeks, but it looks like i am going shopping for an early present of real race skis for her! and thus, the kid quiver of skis has started....
    Looks like dad (OHC) is going to have to start tuning and waxing skis again.

are you that string I kicked out a while back?
    Oh my, no! Unless your name is Maksym and you run the Belarusian Axe and Anvil Circus. And in that case I'm sorry about your toes...

It looks fun to be your kid, by the way

Raining pretty hard in Truckee right now. 37 degrees. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    kirkwood was fun today.
    Our crew basically filled the first 4 chairs of Chair 4 when the backside popped for the first time since Sunday. Pretty epic.

Here's a quick edit from earlier in the day on the frontside of a few of us goofing around on a small cliff band.
    I figured you guys for a bunch of mags. I was the peeping tom at the bottom watching the landings. I'll speak up next time I'm at the 'Wood.

If you guys took the first 4 chairs of chair 4 when it opened you probably missed the clusterfuck that ensued when the rope dropped at the top of 2. I lagged behind and saw at least a dozen people hit the deck. Everyone was in a powder frenzy. Good times.

:Edit: seanhav's chinesedownhill vid (post #2752) didn't do the carnage justice...The powder made them do it!
    Last edited by Magnus_CA; 01-25-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
    If you guys took the first 4 chairs of chair 4 when it opened you probably missed the clusterfuck that ensued when the rope dropped at the top of 2. I lagged behind and saw at least a dozen people hit the deck. Everyone was in a powder frenzy. Good times.
    Nope, didn't miss it. We just somehow ended up in front.

That was the stupidest, most moronic thing I've ever seen at a ski resort. Multiple lawsuits waiting to happen. If they had just let us go, we would have all spread out naturally. Instead they kept us bunched up to a very dangerous degree. It also destroyed a perfectly groomed cat track for the rest of the day. I know patrol has a tough job, but that was wrong on multiple levels.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Nope, didn't miss it. We just somehow ended up in front.

That was the stupidest, most moronic thing I've ever seen at a ski resort. Multiple lawsuits waiting to happen. If they had just let us go, we would have all spread out naturally. Instead they kept us bunched up to a very dangerous degree. It also destroyed a perfectly groomed cat track for the rest of the day. I know patrol has a tough job, but that was wrong on multiple levels.
    Yup...especially moronic since they made us wait in line at the bottom of 4 again any way while they cleaned up the chairs.

Yeah it snained in SLT from about 7:30 this morning until 3. No rain on casa de agua today though! It was definitely heavy snow, good stuff on a big snowboard though, made the pillow drops nice and spongy and all those tracks should be gone tomorrow. Good vis and not too much wind up there this morning and fresh deep powder - can't complain about that at all.

Tomorrow I'll be at the wood, give a holler if you'll be up there - you know what I look like.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell