Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    FWT has gotten better every year.
    It hasn't exactly been an exponential arc, but yeah I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    bimboes went out like a legend. That last run shit many a brick all around the world.

cheers to that fucking sick psycho....I hope we get to see more of his skiing and he stays out of the hospital.
    This Well said

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I
    Wish
    Sean Pettit
    And Stan Rey
    Maybe Krazy Karl
    plus a few other pros
    Would enter these comps

What ever happened to the Skiers Cup?
    Red Bull Cold Rush?

It’s one thing to stack footy, and another to make big lines without mistake.

The King and Queen of Corbett’s is the only event that comes to mind where the pros and hos still compete against each other.
    On the other hand, that's what makes our sport so great. What other sport does going pro mean you're done with competitions? that's what keeps it actually being freeriding.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

bimboes went out like a legend. That last run shit many a brick all around the world.

cheers to that fucking sick psycho....I hope we get to see more of his skiing and he stays out of the hospital.
    He is still sending it

https://ndgcinema.com/
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I
    Wish
    Sean Pettit
    And Stan Rey
    Maybe Krazy Karl
    plus a few other pros
    Would enter these comps

What ever happened to the Skiers Cup?
    Red Bull Cold Rush?

It’s one thing to stack footy, and another to make big lines without mistake.

The King and Queen of Corbett’s is the only event that comes to mind where the pros and hos still compete against each other.
    Sean Petit isnt he a slowboarder now...

Markus Eder killed it in his two years - second and first - and he's a regular film guy.

Travis Rice won Hakuba (easily imo), and it seemed like all the riders loved him. Gigi Ruf did pretty well too.

Tanner rubbed everyone the wrong way, but he's been doing that since he was a grom.

The mix of guys who worked their ass off to get there, and the established pros is fun, pulls in max eyeballs, and hopefully paves the way for more comps at the lower levels. OP, I know nothing about FWT operates organizationally -- do you think more successful FWT events fund more 2, 3, 4 star FWQ comps? It seems like competitive freeride is really taking off at the junior level, and I wonder how much FWT comps and their coverage/sponsors/cash play a role in that.

Also curious how things are on the women's side. I've got a couple little lady shredders, but I'm an ignorant blinders-wearing dude, so... help?
    sproing!

You're right. I overgeneralized. Kye acted like a dick too last year (the inside stories are head-shakers) and when TH chickened out of Verbier he literally took spots at away from guys that should have been there.

FWT and the qualifying circuit are organizationally unrelated (though cooperative) in region 2. In region 1 they are. Money flows between them over there but not over here. Here the only relationship is a pathway from juniors/FWQ to the FWT established a few years ago. No money flowing.

Get your little lady shredders into a coached, organized program that goes to junior comps. See if they take to it and are wired for it.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Markus Eder killed it in his two years - second and first - and he's a regular film guy.

Travis Rice won Hakuba (easily imo), and it seemed like all the riders loved him. Gigi Ruf did pretty well too.

Tanner rubbed everyone the wrong way, but he's been doing that since he was a grom.

The mix of guys who worked their ass off to get there, and the established pros is fun, pulls in max eyeballs, and hopefully paves the way for more comps at the lower levels. OP, I know nothing about FWT operates organizationally -- do you think more successful FWT events fund more 2, 3, 4 star FWQ comps? It seems like competitive freeride is really taking off at the junior level, and I wonder how much FWT comps and their coverage/sponsors/cash play a role in that.

Also curious how things are on the women's side. I've got a couple little lady shredders, but I'm an ignorant blinders-wearing dude, so... help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Oh yeah, forgot about Kye. Definitely remember his attitude was pretty piss-poor.

Generally agree with your point - I kinda think they should have a very limited number of additional spots for the pros/celebrities/whatever. Klassen at Verbier was soooo awesome. But definitely don't want to take away spots from the ones who worked their ass off and sacrificed so much to get there.

Good to know about the FWT money flow - that's pretty lame that it doesn't flow down to local comps here in the Americas. Thanks for the info.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Good to know about the FWT money flow - that's pretty lame that it doesn't flow down to local comps here in the Americas. Thanks for the info.
    It's not really lameness (though it'd be great if IFSA were better capitalized), just that they're two different organizations. IFSA and FWT. One's a non profit and one ain't. Bet you can guess which is which. Until just a few years ago there wasn't even a defined pathway for athletes in R2 to get to the FWT or for R2 juniors to participate in Junior World Championships. That took a lot of work - which went on for several years - between the two and eventually resulted in the FWQ series.

thall has risen again, now made of robot parts with a liquid cannabinoid core as was prophesied by the graphics on the original Pocket Rocket.
    Sig worthy

Funny enough, THall just posted about fundraising for junior freeride comps. That liquid cannabinoid core be doing some good!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DYDMzD...d=5z4hoilaxibz

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    You're right. I overgeneralized. Kye acted like a dick too last year (the inside stories are head-shakers) and when TH chickened out of Verbier he literally took spots at away from guys that should have been there.

FWT and the qualifying circuit are organizationally unrelated (though cooperative) in region 2. In region 1 they are. Money flows between them over there but not over here. Here the only relationship is a pathway from juniors/FWQ to the FWT established a few years ago. No money flowing.

Get your little lady shredders into a coached, organized program that goes to junior comps. See if they take to it and are wired for it.
    Kirkwood, Squaw, or Mammoth Freeride Teams are what you want. And Mount Hood in the summer
    edit-based on your Ca location if that still holds. And make them go every day. You don't learn in good conditions you learn when its icy and firm and you get strong when it's wet and sloppy.

There are great programs in CO (CB), Taos is solid, LCC programs are good, and of course Sugar Bowl has turned out a bunch of successful younguns, mine included. I haven't seen hide nor hair of a program in KW for several years, though they once had one that Madre a splash here and there..

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Kirkwood, Squaw, or Mammoth Freeride Teams are what you want. And Mount Hood in the summer
    edit-based on your Ca location if that still holds. And make them go every day. You don't learn in good conditions you learn when its icy and firm and you get strong when it's wet and sloppy.

the last thing you want to do with any kid in type program is'''make them go everyday''.the kids that excel are the ones that want to go everyday regardless of conditions. i have been coaching for the last 12 years and there are days when i wish the few kids who are made to go would have stayed home

Tim Durtschi to join the tour this year: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5VNIHvlVY7/

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ View Post
    Tim Durtschi to join the tour this year: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5VNIHvlVY7/
    Durtschi has been skiing for the cameras for a few years now, so it will be interesting to see what he can muster during a contest.

Seems like a good compliment to the Tanner Hall style as well, if the judges are starting to lean more to new school.

Hazel Birnbaum on the lady's side is a kirkwood skier. Think she may have finished though last year not sure.

And yeah I agree about the 'don't make them go every day thing'. I just meant don't let them back out and cherry pick all the good days. The skiers that end up crushing it are out there almost every day, but that is post junior teams and when they're just charging around the mountain with friends cause they love it.

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ View Post
    Awesome! He seems like a good guy. Really been enjoying his TGR segments in recent years where he's taking Kai Jones under his wing.

STOKED to watch Durtschi on tour this year!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Awesome! He seems like a good guy. Really been enjoying his TGR segments in recent years where he's taking Kai Jones under his wing.
    actually he's quite the dbag irl
    I cringe seeing him with Kai bc Kai is great
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    Ive heard a few stories of him having a few to many drinks. But ive also heard that he has been an awesome coach down in SA and at the summer glacier camps.

At the end of the day, im just in it for the entertainment... and an athletes personal life doesnt matter too much to me (within reason) until it starts affecting his ability to entertain me. He never was really into the comp scene, i wonder what made him change his mind and take on this new challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    i wonder what made him change his mind and take on this new challenge?
    Surely it's the massive amounts of money one can earn on the FWT.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    Well shizdang. The wonders of editing I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post

That is a shame to hear about Kye. He absolutely killed it in Numinous and he has some other great video parts. I thought he might ski well on the FWT.

Was he arrogant? Entitled? Did he complain about the conditions? That is a shame. I actually would have thought Kye would do better on the FWT than Tanner given their video parts.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

What is with the need to gossip about these guys?